Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where to Donate a Wood Shop

For health and safety reasons my woodworking days are over.
If I keep the tools available I will be tempted to use them.
This could be dangerous.
Does anyone know of a good organization to donate these to?
I am talking about table saw, planer, joiner, chopsaw,...

Thanks for any and all help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For health and safety reasons my woodworking days are over.
If I keep the tools available I will be tempted to use them.
This could be dangerous.
Does anyone know of a good organization to donate these to?
I am talking about table saw, planer, joiner, chopsaw,...

Where are you located?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

wrote:

For health and safety reasons my woodworking days are over.
If I keep the tools available I will be tempted to use them.
This could be dangerous.
Does anyone know of a good organization to donate these to?
I am talking about table saw, planer, joiner, chopsaw,...

Where are you located?

Lew

Local high school shop class?

Posted to rec.woodworking

NW New Jersey.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

NW New Jersey.

-------------------------------------
I think I would talk to Goodwill, the VFW, Volunteers of America or
similar organization.

They are probably best able to address any potential liability issues
as well as handle your tools as a package.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For health and safety reasons my woodworking days are over.
If I keep the tools available I will be tempted to use them.
This could be dangerous.
Does anyone know of a good organization to donate these to?
I am talking about table saw, planer, joiner, chopsaw,...

Where are you located?

Lew

Local high school shop class?

They don't even exist anymore, do they?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

For health and safety reasons my woodworking days are over.
If I keep the tools available I will be tempted to use them.
This could be dangerous.
Does anyone know of a good organization to donate these to?
I am talking about table saw, planer, joiner, chopsaw,...
Where are you located?

Lew

Local high school shop class?

They don't even exist anymore, do they?

--

-Mike-

I don't know. My son graduated a couple years ago. I seem to recall he
made a wood toolbox in some class. I'll ask him about it. I know they
still had welding because he was the welding TA his senior year. He also
went back the next year about once a week for a couple months and helped
teach the new guys how to use the CNC Plasma cutter he had setup the
previous year. They obviously still do some vocational trades classes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

NW New Jersey.

Another option might be Habitat for Humanity. Atleast for some of your
tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I don't know. My son graduated a couple years ago. I seem to recall
he made a wood toolbox in some class. I'll ask him about it. I know
they still had welding because he was the welding TA his senior year.
He also went back the next year about once a week for a couple months
and helped teach the new guys how to use the CNC Plasma cutter he had
setup the previous year. They obviously still do some vocational
trades classes.

Wow - that's great. Around here all forms of shop class are long gone.
BOCES took the place of what we knew as shop class but it was for the kids
that weren't candidates for the standard academic trac. Don't even know
what it's like now.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello,
I saw this in the news group and sent the info. to my brother-in-law.
He works for a Christian Organization and does many donations, and helps
with many orphanages etc.
He is also working in Mexico with poverty and orphanages.....
just a thought.
john

wrote in message

For health and safety reasons my woodworking days are over.
If I keep the tools available I will be tempted to use them.
This could be dangerous.
Does anyone know of a good organization to donate these to?
I am talking about table saw, planer, joiner, chopsaw,...

Thanks for any and all help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I don't know. My son graduated a couple years ago. I seem to recall
he made a wood toolbox in some class. I'll ask him about it. I know
they still had welding because he was the welding TA his senior year.
He also went back the next year about once a week for a couple months
and helped teach the new guys how to use the CNC Plasma cutter he had
setup the previous year. They obviously still do some vocational
trades classes.

Wow - that's great. Around here all forms of shop class are long gone.
BOCES took the place of what we knew as shop class but it was for the kids
that weren't candidates for the standard academic trac. Don't even know
what it's like now.

I asked my son, and he said they had a class called construction trades
where he made the wood tool box. I thought it was interesting because it
was similar to one my dad taught me to make for myself when I was a kid.
Mine had a sawed off handle from a broken broom for a carry handle, and the
sides were made from old soda pop crates. My sons had a piece of plywood
cut into a pleasing raised handle shape. He also made a similar box in his
welding class with a sheet metal brake and rivets his first year.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Habitat for humanity.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

wrote:

NW New Jersey.

-------------------------------------
I think I would talk to Goodwill, the VFW, Volunteers of America or
similar organization.

They are probably best able to address any potential liability issues
as well as handle your tools as a package.

Lew

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 May 2014 13:25:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

NW New Jersey.

Peters Valley
pvcrafts.org
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 May 2014 15:03:45 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
I don't know. My son graduated a couple years ago. I seem to recall he
made a wood toolbox in some class. I'll ask him about it. I know they
still had welding because he was the welding TA his senior year. He also
went back the next year about once a week for a couple months and helped
teach the new guys how to use the CNC Plasma cutter he had setup the
previous year. They obviously still do some vocational trades classes.

The OP may run into the same type of problem I did. I've got a club
quality exercise machine that I tried to donate to a local hospital
physiotherapy department. (They already had a similar type of the same
machine).

Anyway, after a short discussion, they refused my donation offer
because of possible culpability from accepting used equipment should
any injury occur from using it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 16, 2014 2:56:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:
For health and safety reasons my woodworking days are over.

If I keep the tools available I will be tempted to use them.

This could be dangerous.

Does anyone know of a good organization to donate these to?

I am talking about table saw, planer, joiner, chopsaw,...

Thanks for any and all help.

Look for a local retirement community. They may have a room available for individuals that would like to do woodworking but who do not have room in their apartments for the equipment. However, they would need to establish liability problems first.

I know that I would like this and may donate mine when I give up the house.

Len