Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Temporary Construction

32,000 square feet. Built in December, to close in March. Each year.
Great engineering and craftsmanship.

Outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

Entrance to the Ice Bar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

The Ice Bar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

The Wedding Chapel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

A hallway:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

Reception desk & Lobby:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

A "theme" stateroom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

The floor plan:
http://www.hoteldeglace-canada.com/F...Sud-8,5x11.pdf

A must-see, in my opinion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 7:51 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
32,000 square feet. Built in December, to close in March. Each year.
Great engineering and craftsmanship.

Outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

Entrance to the Ice Bar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

A must-see, in my opinion.

Certainly interesting to see, but I prefer more traditional heated
places to spend the day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Did you go there Greg? What was the room temp?

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 10:05 AM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

We visited, but did not stay overnight. From the FAQ:

"What temperature is it inside the Hôtel de Glace?

In addition to being a great windshield, the thick snow walls keep the
Hôtel de Glace well insulated. The ambient temperature varies only by a
few degrees between -3°C and -5°C, no matter what the outside
temperature is."

"How do people sleep in the Hôtel de Glace?

All our beds have a solid ice base, with a wooden bedspring and a
mattress on top. Mattresses are covered with blankets, and people sleep
inside arctic sleeping bags designed to stay warm in temperatures as low
as -30°C. We recommend that you slip inside your sleeping bag wearing
just thermal underwear to keep humidity to a minimum."

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Many years ago, Leadville Colorado (elevation 10000 feet altitude) built a
ice castle in 1896. Google it. Not THAT large. They have a winter fest
every February. I lived there and worked for 13 years. WW

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 10:29 AM, WW wrote:
Many years ago, Leadville Colorado (elevation 10000 feet altitude) built
a ice castle in 1896. Google it. Not THAT large. They have a winter
fest every February. I lived there and worked for 13 years. WW

Ice hotels are constructed in a number of places in the world, but to my
knowledge, all of the others are in pretty remote locations where very
few people live. Some require quite elaborate travel arrangements. This
one is ten minutes outside of Quebec City. We drove there in our own car
and parked in the parking lot.

It says something about Canada that a place reliably cold enough to
build an Ice Hotel every year has a (metropolitan) population of three
quarters of a million people.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

It says something about Canada that a place reliably cold enough to
build an Ice Hotel every year has a (metropolitan) population of three
quarters of a million people.

Oh hell - that's just because Quebecians are just such a cold people...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 10:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Oh hell - that's just because Quebecians are just such a cold people...

And, they'll kick your butt for not using "Québécois".

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 11:48 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/5/2014 10:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Oh hell - that's just because Quebecians are just such a cold people...

And, they'll kick your butt for not using "Québécois".

ey

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 10:29 AM, WW wrote:
Leadville Colorado (elevation 10000 feet altitude) built a ice castle in
1896

I just looked that up. An impressive feat indeed, especially at the
time. But it was done with a different sort of construction, using
girders, notably to hold up the ceiling. The various Ice Hotels around
the world these days are generally made entirely of snow and ice. All of
the rooms have arched ceilings, some have columns of ice as well. I saw
a video of how the one in Quebec is built a few years ago. It involves
wooden forms which are removed once the snow has hardened enough to
support its weight.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 10:23 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

All our beds have a solid ice base, with a wooden bedspring and a
mattress on top. Mattresses are covered with blankets, and people sleep
inside arctic sleeping bags designed to stay warm in temperatures as low
as -30°C. We recommend that you slip inside your sleeping bag wearing
just thermal underwear to keep humidity to a minimum."

Sounds cozy until you get up at 3 AM to pee. I'd have tried it 20+
years ago, but not today.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 13:59:34 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/5/2014 10:23 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

All our beds have a solid ice base, with a wooden bedspring and a
mattress on top. Mattresses are covered with blankets, and people sleep
inside arctic sleeping bags designed to stay warm in temperatures as low
as -30°C. We recommend that you slip inside your sleeping bag wearing
just thermal underwear to keep humidity to a minimum."

Sounds cozy until you get up at 3 AM to pee. I'd have tried it 20+
years ago, but not today.

I wouldn't be able to walk for a month, after.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2014 11:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

It says something about Canada that a place reliably cold enough to
build an Ice Hotel every year has a (metropolitan) population of three
quarters of a million people.

Oh hell - that's just because Quebecians are just such a cold people...

Reminds me of an exchange I had with a bartender while we were in Quebec.

We hardly drink, but there's a concoction they make up there called
"Caribou" that is a winter tradition of long standing. It's reportedly
made with wine, whiskey and maple syrup, among other ingredients. We
decided we had to try it.

We went to one of the many outdoor "Ice Bars" and asked for two drinks.
It was around 10 degrees F that afternoon. The bar and the "back bar"
where the bottles were kept were made entirely of ice. The glasses? Also
made of ice.

The conversation, in my limited French, went like this:

"One Caribou, one Amarula". "And please ... *if possible* ... cold".

"Cold? No problem, sir."

---