Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Temporary Construction

On 2/5/2014 10:05 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/5/2014 7:51 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
32,000 square feet. Built in December, to close in March. Each year.
Great engineering and craftsmanship.

Outside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

Entrance to the Ice Bar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

The Ice Bar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

The Wedding Chapel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

A hallway:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

Reception desk & Lobby:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

A "theme" stateroom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57640475806764

The floor plan:
http://www.hoteldeglace-canada.com/F...Sud-8,5x11.pdf

A must-see, in my opinion.

Did you go there Greg? What was the room temp?

We visited, but did not stay overnight. From the FAQ:

"What temperature is it inside the Hôtel de Glace?

In addition to being a great windshield, the thick snow walls keep the
Hôtel de Glace well insulated. The ambient temperature varies only by a
few degrees between -3°C and -5°C, no matter what the outside
temperature is."

"How do people sleep in the Hôtel de Glace?

All our beds have a solid ice base, with a wooden bedspring and a
mattress on top. Mattresses are covered with blankets, and people sleep
inside arctic sleeping bags designed to stay warm in temperatures as low
as -30°C. We recommend that you slip inside your sleeping bag wearing
just thermal underwear to keep humidity to a minimum."

---