Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Temporary Construction

On 2/5/2014 11:25 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

It says something about Canada that a place reliably cold enough to
build an Ice Hotel every year has a (metropolitan) population of three
quarters of a million people.

Oh hell - that's just because Quebecians are just such a cold people...

Reminds me of an exchange I had with a bartender while we were in Quebec.

We hardly drink, but there's a concoction they make up there called
"Caribou" that is a winter tradition of long standing. It's reportedly
made with wine, whiskey and maple syrup, among other ingredients. We
decided we had to try it.

We went to one of the many outdoor "Ice Bars" and asked for two drinks.
It was around 10 degrees F that afternoon. The bar and the "back bar"
where the bottles were kept were made entirely of ice. The glasses? Also
made of ice.

The conversation, in my limited French, went like this:

"One Caribou, one Amarula". "And please ... *if possible* ... cold".

"Cold? No problem, sir."

---