Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodworking Show

The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can
imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall, is
it worth it to go?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, February 3, 2014 3:22:37 PM UTC-8, SBH wrote:
The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can

imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall, is

it worth it to go?

If you haven't been before it is probably worth a visit. It is a bit pricey (to some) I dunno maybe $15 or something. But not way out of line. Just be careful, some venues have like $20 parking also.

You will see several big companies sort of like a traveling woodcraft (Peachtree) and they usually have a few good deals. Maybe a few vendors like Delta or Steel City but not like at AWFS or something. Maybe see a few of the invention guys with weird lathe attachments or cool cross cut sleds and clamps, etc. Look for what "seminars" are offered and sometimes you can get some good info on a finish technique or router tips. Probably worth more than seeing the booths if you get a few good ones.

Never seen one that would take me more than 2 hours to be done unless the seminars were good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:59:33 -0800 (PST), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

[...]

That's a pretty good summary. A couple of hours is good. We then go
to lunch and I drop by Woodcraft, Rockler, and Highland on the way
back. ;-) One year I got a really good deal on a JessEm Mast-R-Fence
and Mite-R-Slide (about 80% off, though they're blue rather than red
;-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I received a WoodWorking flier/brochure in the mail which listed
sponsors such as Bosch, Powermatic, Jet, Lee Valley. Also stated
instructors as Jim Heavy, Andy Chidwick, Roland Johnson. Don't know any
of them...lol.

The costis $10 but if I show the flyer, it's $2 off. Parking is $5 at
the venue. It's where many big shows take place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can
imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall,
is it worth it to go?

They're not nearly as good as they once were. Depending on who shows
up, Peachtree can end up being 1/2 the show which is sort of lame. If
you haven't kept up with all the new things on the market it's a good
show to see a lot of that. If you keep up with things on the internet,
already, you're going to be saying, "yep, saw that.... saw that... saw
that..." in your head a lot.

It *is* a great place to save a bunch of money if you're needing to
stock up on things, buy a lot of new things, or you've been looking for
an excuse to get some big ticket items. They show prices can be very,
very good, mostly because a lot of vendors have to ship things to the
venues and it's cheaper for them to sell it at cost than ship it back.

You can spend a bunch of money on fancy crap that will sit on your shop
and collect dust. But you can also spend and save a bunch of money on
things you wish you had, know you will use, and have been looking for a
good excuse to buy.

Look for coupons on the internet for ticket discounts and free parking.
Or look around for somewhere off site to park, walk, buy your stuff,
let them watch it while you go get the car to load it up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can
imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall,
is it worth it to go?

They're not nearly as good as they once were. Depending on who shows
up, Peachtree can end up being 1/2 the show which is sort of lame. If
you haven't kept up with all the new things on the market it's a good
show to see a lot of that. If you keep up with things on the internet,
already, you're going to be saying, "yep, saw that.... saw that... saw
that..." in your head a lot.

I think if you're smart you attend with a "shopping list" in
mind. Impulse purchases are usually not as good as the ones you make
after "doing your homework" (making comparisons, etc.) Lee Valley will
give you free shipping on things you order at the show, I believe (at
least they did a year ago).

Bill

It *is* a great place to save a bunch of money if you're needing to
stock up on things, buy a lot of new things, or you've been looking for
an excuse to get some big ticket items. They show prices can be very,
very good, mostly because a lot of vendors have to ship things to the
venues and it's cheaper for them to sell it at cost than ship it back.

You can spend a bunch of money on fancy crap that will sit on your shop
and collect dust. But you can also spend and save a bunch of money on
things you wish you had, know you will use, and have been looking for a
good excuse to buy.

Look for coupons on the internet for ticket discounts and free parking.
Or look around for somewhere off site to park, walk, buy your stuff,
let them watch it while you go get the car to load it up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2014 11:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

They're not nearly as good as they once were.

That's mostly because you are now a much better, and more experienced
and knowledgeable woodworker than you were the first time you went to one.

Kind of like going to that ho house the first time.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Never seen one that would take me more than 2 hours to be done unless the seminars were good.

Unfortunately that has become the norm, or maybe we just skip the ones
we recognize and are no long interested in seeing.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's i recall seeing shows in Houston
that were big enough that you might miss something if you did not spend
all day.

I recall many many booths selling single tools. Like the router ringer
tool that would let you make a bowl with a router from a single square
piece of wood. The solid steel router tables that operated like the
Multirouter. Remember the guy selling the Zyless vice? ;~) And many
many more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2014 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can
imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall, is
it worth it to go?

And to add one more thing, RESIST buying a set of BAD DOG drill bits.
These guys could be selling water out of a bucket, you supply the
container to take your water home. The water would probably be more
useful than their carbide tipped drill bits.

Yeah I fell for the pitch and bought the drill bits a few years ago. I
took them back the following day after the bits failed miserably to
drill through soft steel and broke.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 8:44 AM, Leon wrote:

Never seen one that would take me more than 2 hours to be done unless
the seminars were good.

Unfortunately that has become the norm, or maybe we just skip the ones
we recognize and are no long interested in seeing.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's i recall seeing shows in Houston
that were big enough that you might miss something if you did not spend
all day.

I recall many many booths selling single tools. Like the router ringer
tool that would let you make a bowl with a router from a single square
piece of wood. The solid steel router tables that operated like the
Multirouter. Remember the guy selling the Zyless vice? ;~) And many
many more.

I've got a knock off vise of that vise.. Bought it at a garage sale with
all these doodads.. I paid $5 and love it. I have used it for a few
things, not many, but it has paid for itself at that price.. Can't see
spending the $300 that Zyless wanted.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/2014 9:26 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/4/2014 8:44 AM, Leon wrote:

[...]

Jeez was it $300??? I bought mine at the show, early 80's and would not
have paid that much. Probably paid a little over $100.

I still use mine on occasion. It is one of those dust collectors but
does get used much more than the friggin PC detail sander, model 444,
that is no longer available new.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/4/14, 6:35 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2014 11:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

They're not nearly as good as they once were.

That's mostly because you are now a much better, and more experienced
and knowledgeable woodworker than you were the first time you went to one.

Kind of like going to that ho house the first time.

There's a lot of truth to that, except... using your comparison....
In this case there are a lot fewer hoes from which to choose and they
all seem to be offering the same thing. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2014 11:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

They're not nearly as good as they once were.

That's mostly because you are now a much better, and more experienced
and knowledgeable woodworker than you were the first time you went
to one. Kind of like going to that ho house the first time.

There's a lot of truth to that, except... using your comparison....
In this case there are a lot fewer hoes from which to choose and they
all seem to be offering the same thing. :-)

Well... there really is only 3 options. So... what's wrong with that?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 02:10:55 -0500, Bill
wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can
imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall,
is it worth it to go?

They're not nearly as good as they once were. Depending on who shows
up, Peachtree can end up being 1/2 the show which is sort of lame. If
you haven't kept up with all the new things on the market it's a good
show to see a lot of that. If you keep up with things on the internet,
already, you're going to be saying, "yep, saw that.... saw that... saw
that..." in your head a lot.

I think if you're smart you attend with a "shopping list" in
mind. Impulse purchases are usually not as good as the ones you make
after "doing your homework" (making comparisons, etc.) Lee Valley will
give you free shipping on things you order at the show, I believe (at
least they did a year ago).

Sure, but a lot of the stuff you'd never think to put on your list. I
rarely buy much at the shows (save it for the stores later) but there
are always new (strange) and wonderful things that I wouldn't have
thought about, or real deals on stuff that I wouldn't normally have
bought. How many kids make a shopping list to go to a toy store? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 06:35:41 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/3/2014 11:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

They're not nearly as good as they once were.

That's mostly because you are now a much better, and more experienced
and knowledgeable woodworker than you were the first time you went to one.

....and have enough stuff collecting dust.

Kind of like going to that ho house the first time.

No experience. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

That's a good analogy! When my siblings and I were children, my parents
asked us to make a list of what we would like for Christmas, us pretty
much aware that we might get 1 thing on the list (if it was safe enough,
etc.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

You have the Lee Valley & Veritas catalog right? It's all in there..you
don't even need to leave home.

How many kids make a shopping list to go to a toy store? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 20:14:56 -0500, Bill

wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

That's a little different. I have a (mental) list of tools I want to
buy. When I'm in the toy store I might buy one but if something is on
sale, I'll reprioritization, on the spot. ;-) Too bad Festools never
move up the list. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 20:16:38 -0500, Bill

wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Believe it or not, there isn't much in there that I really want. I
don't see any "real deals" there, either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:22 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

What are these "strange and wonderful things" to which you refer then?
A Powermatic 12" jointer?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

My favorite WW show was the first one held at Reliant in Houston some years ago.
A gun show was going on next door. My planned purchase of a new (table saw,
jointer, planer, etc.) managed to transform itself into a 40 caliber flintlock
rifle.

Unlike Leon, I enjoy the shows at the Katy civic center. It's much smaller than
Reliant, but not nearly the hassle to get into and out of, plus parking was free
and not $15. A difference I note with the change in venue is that it seems the
show is a bit more oriented toward the hobbyist. I now have all the "big iron"
I need for the rest of my life (except for a 15" planer) and have zero interest
in laser carving machines or those you feed a tree in one end and get a chair
out the other. Someone who makes their living working wood might differ. I
certainly enjoyed the hand tool seminars they have provided the last couple of
years, and have improved my techniques from what I learned.

Would I go if it was back at Reliant? Sure, especially if it would be a large
enough venue to convince Lee Valley to attend. And if they could schedule it
the same weekend as the Houston Gun Collectors show, that would be a great, but
very expensive weekend for me.

Regards,
Roy

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 18:22:37 -0500, Meanie wrote:

The show is finally coming to my area in two weeks. Though, I can
imagine things my vary from show to show (city to city), but overall, is
it worth it to go?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

[...]

So Roy, where do you live?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

My favorite WW show was the first one held at Reliant in Houston some years ago.
A gun show was going on next door. My planned purchase of a new (table saw,
jointer, planer, etc.) managed to transform itself into a 40 caliber flintlock
rifle.

From whom did you buy the flintlock at that gunshow? IOW, do you know
my old bandmate in a number of bands, hunting buddy, gunsmith, builder
of firearms to Presidents, and longtime friend Chris Hirsch?

http://www.chrishirsch.com/

http://www.lonestarbluegrassband.com/nra.jpg

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 11:33:26 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

[...]

Richmond. I take the Grand Parkway to I-10 to get to the Katy location, or come
in on 90A to get dumped off near the Dome. Just about the same distance to
either location, just a lot less traffic hassles to Katy, and no toy trains to
run into me.

BTW, I mostly just lurk here and go for months without posting, but I want to
tell you how much I enjoy the posts and pictures you and Swing put up about your
builds. For example, I finally unearthed my CS, and plan to make a cabinet
similar to the one you have on your Jet (posted last March). It seems like I
always learn a little something in those discussion threads, and just wanted to
say thanks for all the posts and sharing from you guys before I go back into
lurk mode.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

[...]

I hear you on the trains! LOL

You should stop by some time, I live in Parkway Lakes, basically at
Grand Parkway and Bellaire, a mile south of the West Park toll road.

BTW, I mostly just lurk here and go for months without posting, but I want to
tell you how much I enjoy the posts and pictures you and Swing put up about your
builds. For example, I finally unearthed my CS, and plan to make a cabinet
similar to the one you have on your Jet (posted last March). It seems like I
always learn a little something in those discussion threads, and just wanted to
say thanks for all the posts and sharing from you guys before I go back into
lurk mode.

Regards,
Roy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

[...]

Be careful, Roy ... Leon is an internet Fest(ool)ifile. Once you meet
Leon you will forever have to have a firm grasp on your wallet.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:27:22 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

My favorite WW show was the first one held at Reliant in Houston some years ago.
A gun show was going on next door. My planned purchase of a new (table saw,
jointer, planer, etc.) managed to transform itself into a 40 caliber flintlock
rifle.

From whom did you buy the flintlock at that gunshow? IOW, do you know
my old bandmate in a number of bands, hunting buddy, gunsmith, builder
of firearms to Presidents, and longtime friend Chris Hirsch?

http://www.chrishirsch.com/

http://www.lonestarbluegrassband.com/nra.jpg

I bought that particular flinter from a dealer from Indiana However, I am the
proud owner of the only cherry stocked rifle Chris ever built. He found out he
was allergic to cherry during the build and said he would never work with it
again. The rifle is an early 19th century Virginia poor boy he styled from one
he owned.

His Golden Age rifles are truly works of art. I've admired several that have
passed through Collector's Firearms over the years, but never when I could
afford to acquire one. I have the American Rifleman issue showing him
presenting one of his NRA rifles to President Reagan on the cover. He is a very
talented and gifted man.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

My favorite WW show was the first one held at Reliant in Houston some years ago.
A gun show was going on next door. My planned purchase of a new (table saw,
jointer, planer, etc.) managed to transform itself into a 40 caliber flintlock
rifle.

From whom did you buy the flintlock at that gunshow? IOW, do you know
[...]

Did Chris ever tell you the story about how mortified he was, standing in
the Oval Office, when Reagan threw that rifle up to his _left_ shoulder?

AAMOF, talked to Chris yesterday. About 30 years ago I'd loaned him my
truck to tide him over while he was waiting on delivery for one he'd
bought, and it turned out to be an extended wait. He called because he'd
heard I was having truck trouble, was looking for a newer one, and he
wanted to return that old favor if I was in need. I wasn't, but good folks
are like that.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

My favorite WW show was the first one held at Reliant in Houston some years ago.
A gun show was going on next door. My planned purchase of a new (table saw,
jointer, planer, etc.) managed to transform itself into a 40 caliber flintlock
rifle.

From whom did you buy the flintlock at that gunshow? IOW, do you know
[...]

Probably playing with his head. ;-) Reagan was ambidextrous (leaning
left ;-).

AAMOF, talked to Chris yesterday. About 30 years ago I'd loaned him my
truck to tide him over while he was waiting on delivery for one he'd
bought, and it turned out to be an extended wait. He called because he'd
heard I was having truck trouble, was looking for a newer one, and he
wanted to return that old favor if I was in need. I wasn't, but good folks
are like that.

NJ Woodworking Show / Feb. 27 - Mar. 1 / $10 Kimosabe Woodworking 7 January 10th 11 03:16 AM
The Woodworking Show Jack Casuso Woodworking 0 October 15th 07 06:40 PM
New woodworking show RayV Woodworking 7 March 25th 07 05:31 PM
Woodworking Show, KC Ken Woodworking 0 February 4th 06 04:03 AM
woodworking show neal.don Woodworking 31 January 24th 05 07:04 PM