neal.don

Default woodworking show

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis now
through sunday

Homer

neal.don wrote:
Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis now
through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.
JLarsson

Homer wrote:
neal.don wrote:
Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis

now
through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Maybe he meant "There is" but is dyslexic and in his excitement forgot
the final 'e' and the space. ;^)

JLarsson

Homer wrote:
neal.don wrote:
Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis

now
through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Maybe he meant "there is", but is dyslexic and forgot the final 'e' and
the space. ;^)

Paul Kierstead

Homer wrote:
neal.don wrote:

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis
now through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Why should he learn the difference?

PK

Homer

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis
now through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Why should he learn the difference?

PK

Grammar and usage reflects character.

Carelessness in one usually means carelessness in other endeavors.
Paul Kierstead

Homer wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis
now through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Why should he learn the difference?

Grammar and usage reflects character.

Carelessness in one usually means carelessness in other endeavors.

Ah, I see! So you were asking him to learn proper grammer and spelling
out of personal interest in his character! It is so very nice to see
people in these newsgroups who take a personal intersest in improving
others characters. It is very valiant of you to take the time.

PK
Homer

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis
now through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Why should he learn the difference?

Grammar and usage reflects character.

Carelessness in one usually means carelessness in other endeavors.

Ah, I see! So you were asking him to learn proper grammer and spelling
out of personal interest in his character! It is so very nice to see
people in these newsgroups who take a personal intersest in improving
others characters. It is very valiant of you to take the time.

PK

My very distinct pleasure.

By the way, your own spelling is atrocious.

Allow me to recommend Mozilla Thunderbird as a newsreader application.
It contains a spell checker.
Paul Kierstead

Homer wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In
Indianapolis now through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Why should he learn the difference?

Grammar and usage reflects character.

Carelessness in one usually means carelessness in other endeavors.

Ah, I see! So you were asking him to learn proper grammer and spelling
out of personal interest in his character! It is so very nice to see
people in these newsgroups who take a personal intersest in improving
others characters. It is very valiant of you to take the time.

PK

My very distinct pleasure.

By the way, your own spelling is atrocious.

Allow me to recommend Mozilla Thunderbird as a newsreader application.
It contains a spell checker.

Yes it is. I desperately wanted your help with my character as well, so
I purposfully misspelled somethings in order to gain your wisdom. Thank
you very much.

BTW, on Thunderbird. See the clever little '+' thing by the subject
line? Click that to see the full header. Now, look down to the "User-
Agent:" line and you too can know what reader I was using. Now see, you
too can learn something! Just my little return for the great service you
provide me and this group.
Homer

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

[...]

Again, my pleasure.

A pity you haven't found the spell check icon as yet.

Feel free to call upon me whenever your character needs improvement.

Paul Kierstead

Homer wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

[...]

I am so glad you are deriving so much pleasure. My character needs a
great deal of improvement. I know it would be greatly improved if only I
clicked on a button; that would show the world what a wonderful person I
am! Wow, all through clicking on spell check! YOU THE MAN!!!

PK
charlie b

Homer wrote:

Grammar and usage reflects character.

Carelessness in one usually means carelessness in other endeavors.

Draftsman : Picasso. Both convey an idea. The latter
often conveyed more than the former. And you have
to admit that Picasso was quite a character : ) We'll
leave Dali (sorry, can't find the tilde) for another time.

Constructive criticism can be beneficial. Destructive
criticism usually isn't intended to be beneficial. One
is meant to encourage and one to discourage. I
think the first part of your original reply was intended
to benefit the original poster.

A good teacher presents information in a manner
the student is best apt to understand it. And
a little gentleness doesn't hurt either. Alan Watts
was/is a master at it. Richard Feynman was pretty
good at it too.

charlie b

Try explaining to a Buhdist
why "born again Christian"
is something to brag about.
Homer

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

[...]

Now, if only someone would enlighten you as to the proper uses of the
semicolon. Alas, a project for another day.
Paul Kierstead

Homer wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

[...]

I rather doubt that usage of a semicolon has anything to do with
enlightenment. Although perhaps you are right. Is there a button that
will fix all my semicolons too and provide enlightment? Will that button
also give me better character? That would be truly impressive!

I bow to your greatness and knowledge. You truly contribute to the world
whereas I am just lacking in character as evidence by my sloppiness in
grammer, punctuation and speling. It would be better had I not been
born; I am blight upon the earth. However doth thou great ones ever
suffer us, the great unwashed?

PK
Adam Diehl

Homer writes:

Now, if only someone would enlighten you as to the proper uses of the
semicolon.

According to the Bedford Handbook for Writers, fourth edition, "When
related independent clauses appear in one sentence, they are ordinarily
linked with a comma and a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, nore,
for, so, yet). . . . If the clauses are closely related and the relation
is clear without a conjunction, they may be linked with a semicolon
instead".

I know [my character] would be greatly improved if only I clicked on

a button; that would show the world what a wonderful
person I am!

The sentence above contains two independent clauses: "I know [my
character] would be greatly improved if only I clicked on a button" and
"[clicking on the button] would show the world what a great person I am"
I.e., that would show the world how great the quality of his character
is. These two statments could have been joined by the coordinating
conjunction 'and', but because they have a clear relationship to one
another, the semicolon can be used instead.

It seems to me the author already has a working knowledge of semicolon
usage and should concentrate on clicking various buttons as a means to
character improvement.

-AD

-AD

Homer

Adam Diehl wrote:

Homer writes:

[...]

Very good, Mr. Diehl.

I had wondered whether anyone would pick up on that.
Homer

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

[...]

That is no light part of my penance.

Confidentially, you missed that naughty little spell check button again!
Paul Kierstead

Homer wrote:
Confidentially, you missed that naughty little spell check button again!

I can assure you it was not missed.

PK
Homer

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Homer wrote:

Confidentially, you missed that naughty little spell check button again!

I can assure you it was not missed.

PK

I see. Pure laziness, then.

I expected no less.

Thank you for the entertainment, Mr. Kierstead.

It has been enlightening.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Homer" wrote in message

Thank you for the entertainment, Mr. Kierstead.

It has been enlightening.

The best entertainment will be when you have a typing error not caught by
your spell checker. That would be two funny!

Adam Diehl

Very good, Mr. Diehl.

I had wondered whether anyone would pick up on that.

Thank you! My next work will be an impartial and in-depth analysis of
the character traits of people who click buttons versus those who push
other peoples' buttons. Watch for it!

-AD

Paul Kierstead

Homer wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Confidentially, you missed that naughty little spell check button again!

I can assure you it was not missed.

PK

I see. Pure laziness, then.

I expected no less.

Well, it could be many things but it could not be laziness. Since said
button was pressed and the spelling error retained, then effort was
placed into it. I try not to live up to expectations, since so few
people expect anything worthwhile.
Homer

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Homer wrote:

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

Confidentially, you missed that naughty little spell check button
again!

I can assure you it was not missed.

PK

I see. Pure laziness, then.

I expected no less.

Well, it could be many things but it could not be laziness. Since said
button was pressed and the spelling error retained, then effort was
placed into it. I try not to live up to expectations, since so few
people expect anything worthwhile.

In that endeavor you have succeeded admirably.
Dave Jackson

So uhhhh..... how was the wordworking shoe in Indy this weekend; Did ya'll
like what there had to offer their?

(heheheheehe
--dave

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101e209753b9aca00e5a3c42d.1e2098a@p mug.org...
writes:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Homer" wrote in message

Thank you for the entertainment, Mr. Kierstead.

It has been enlightening.

The best entertainment will be when you have a typing error not caught

by
your spell checker. That would be two funny!

Four shore!

There read dog cot there suns dear.

Lesson: Spell check bee four ewe proof reed.

Glenna

Leonard Lopez

Actually, I wsa there yesterday. I would say it was mediocre compare to
previous shows. Jet and Delta didn't show up. Not many tutorials
either. It seemed to be a big router bit fair. Nice demo by the guy
from Legacy.

Len

writes:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Homer" wrote in message

Thank you for the entertainment, Mr. Kierstead.

It has been enlightening.

The best entertainment will be when you have a typing error not caught

by

your spell checker. That would be two funny!

Four shore!

There read dog cot there suns dear.

Lesson: Spell check bee four ewe proof reed.

Glenna

Rob Mitchell

Homer wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis
now through sunday

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Why should he learn the difference?

PK

Grammar and usage reflects character.

Carelessness in one usually means carelessness in other endeavors.

Dear Homer

Many years ago, I thought as you do that grammar and language was very
important and of course it is. But in the years since, I have met and
worked with many people who have difficulties learning and using English.

However, I have never noticed that this in any way diminished their
character. In fact I would estimate that because of their lot in life,
their character was more robust than most. Perhaps this was because
they had experienced the hardness of life first hand.

For your edification, I have included the following. The final
quotation is instructive. Perhaps you had intended reputation instead?

Personally, I appreciate the original posting as it has the potential of
enlightening some readers and pertains to the topic of woodworking.
Regretfully, your response does not.

Rob

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"
Character Char"ac*ter, n. L., an instrument for marking,
character, Gr. ?, fr. ? to make sharp, to cut into furrows,
to engrave: cf. F. caract`ere.
1. A distinctive mark; a letter, figure, or symbol.

It were much to be wished that there were throughout
the world but one sort of character for each letter
to express it to the eye. --Holder.

2. Style of writing or printing; handwriting; the peculiar
form of letters used by a particular person or people; as,
an inscription in the Runic character.

You know the character to be your brother's? --Shak.

3. The peculiar quality, or the sum of qualities, by which a
person or a thing is distinguished from others; the stamp
impressed by nature, education, or habit; that which a
person or thing really is; nature; disposition.

The character or that dominion. --Milton.

Know well each Ancient's proper character; His
fable, subject, scope in every page; Religion,
Country, genius of his Age. --Pope.

A man of . . . thoroughly subservient character.
--Motley.

4. Strength of mind; resolution; independence; individuality;
as, he has a great deal of character.

5. Moral quality; the principles and motives that control the
life; as, a man of character; his character saves him from
suspicion.

6. Quality, position, rank, or capacity; quality or conduct
with respect to a certain office or duty; as, in the
miserable character of a slave; in his character as a
magistrate; her character as a daughter.

7. The estimate, individual or general, put upon a person or
thing; reputation; as, a man's character for truth and
veracity; to give one a bad character.

This subterraneous passage is much mended since
Seneca gave so bad a character of it. --Addison.

8. A written statement as to behavior, competency, etc.,
given to a servant. Colloq.

9. A unique or extraordinary individuality; a person
characterized by peculiar or notable traits; a person who
illustrates certain phases of character; as, Randolph was
a character; Caesar is a great historical character.

10. One of the persons of a drama or novel.

Note: ``It would be well if character and reputation were
used distinctively. In truth, character is what a
person is; reputation is what he is supposed to be.
Character is in himself, reputation is in the minds of
others. Character is injured by temptations, and by
wrongdoing; reputation by slanders, and libels.
Character endures throughout defamation in every form,
but perishes when there is a voluntary transgression;
reputation may last through numerous transgressions,
but be destroyed by a single, and even an unfounded,
accusation or aspersion.'' --Abbott.

Gus

Rob Mitchell wrote:
Homer wrote:
Paul Kierstead wrote:

Homer wrote:

neal.don wrote:

[...]

Defender of the downtrodden dullard, eh ?

Gus

Houston Woodworking Show Bob Davis Woodworking 17 February 9th 04 02:10 AM
New Orleans Woodworking Show Frank A. Woodworking 1 January 28th 04 03:39 PM
Indy woodworking show Maxprop Woodturning 8 January 28th 04 05:06 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Indianapolis Indiana Woodworking show Oct 10-11-12 Mike at American Sycamore Woodworking 9 October 17th 03 02:00 PM