Homer

Adam Diehl wrote:

Homer writes:

Now, if only someone would enlighten you as to the proper uses of the
semicolon.

According to the Bedford Handbook for Writers, fourth edition, "When
related independent clauses appear in one sentence, they are ordinarily
linked with a comma and a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, nore,
for, so, yet). . . . If the clauses are closely related and the relation
is clear without a conjunction, they may be linked with a semicolon
instead".

I know [my character] would be greatly improved if only I clicked on

a button; that would show the world what a wonderful

person I am!

The sentence above contains two independent clauses: "I know [my
character] would be greatly improved if only I clicked on a button" and
"[clicking on the button] would show the world what a great person I am"
I.e., that would show the world how great the quality of his character
is. These two statments could have been joined by the coordinating
conjunction 'and', but because they have a clear relationship to one
another, the semicolon can be used instead.

It seems to me the author already has a working knowledge of semicolon
usage and should concentrate on clicking various buttons as a means to
character improvement.

-AD

-AD

Very good, Mr. Diehl.

I had wondered whether anyone would pick up on that.