Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Woodworking Show

Roy wrote:
On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:27:22 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 2/7/2014 11:19 AM, Roy wrote:

My favorite WW show was the first one held at Reliant in Houston some years ago.
A gun show was going on next door. My planned purchase of a new (table saw,
jointer, planer, etc.) managed to transform itself into a 40 caliber flintlock
rifle.

From whom did you buy the flintlock at that gunshow? IOW, do you know
my old bandmate in a number of bands, hunting buddy, gunsmith, builder
of firearms to Presidents, and longtime friend Chris Hirsch?

http://www.chrishirsch.com/

http://www.lonestarbluegrassband.com/nra.jpg

I bought that particular flinter from a dealer from Indiana However, I am the
proud owner of the only cherry stocked rifle Chris ever built. He found out he
was allergic to cherry during the build and said he would never work with it
again. The rifle is an early 19th century Virginia poor boy he styled from one
he owned.

His Golden Age rifles are truly works of art. I've admired several that have
passed through Collector's Firearms over the years, but never when I could
afford to acquire one. I have the American Rifleman issue showing him
presenting one of his NRA rifles to President Reagan on the cover. He is a very
talented and gifted man.

Did Chris ever tell you the story about how mortified he was, standing in
the Oval Office, when Reagan threw that rifle up to his _left_ shoulder?

AAMOF, talked to Chris yesterday. About 30 years ago I'd loaned him my
truck to tide him over while he was waiting on delivery for one he'd
bought, and it turned out to be an extended wait. He called because he'd
heard I was having truck trouble, was looking for a newer one, and he
wanted to return that old favor if I was in need. I wasn't, but good folks
are like that.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)