Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Newbie table top question

I am under taking a project on the honey do list. I have some minimal finish carpentry experience as well basic wood working tools, and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top. My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood laying around for the top, but I have a new idea and need help executing it. I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood as a border on the top. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood that would blend well with barn wood. Any suggestions?!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I am under taking a project on the honey do list. I have some minimal finish
carpentry experience as well basic wood working tools, and access to more if
needed. I am going to be building a table roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top.
My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood laying around for the top,
but I have a new idea and need help executing it. I would like to use a
different wood in the middle and use the barn wood as a border on the top.
But I'm having trouble finding the right wood that would blend well with
barn wood. Any suggestions?!

About four years ago I made a 4'x7' French Country style table top using
barn board for the table center and walnut as the border. The boards were 9"
to 12" wide and 1-1/2" thick. Used biscuits to keep the boards aligned and
breadboard ends. Came out looking pretty good with weathered boards and
finished walnut.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you all for the responses. To answer your questions, the table will serve strictly as a decorative piece in our entry way. The legs will be off the shelf from menards. The skirt if you will, was going to be a stained 2x6 piece of oak. An idea I had ast night was to use two cedar 1x6s in the middle and keep the barn wood border. Thoughts?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Disregard the oak, it would be cedar if the top was cedar also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:41:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Disregard the oak, it would be cedar if the top was cedar also.

Define " barn wood " ...
... not barnboard by the sound of it .. ?
John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---