DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Newbie table top question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/366615-newbie-table-top-question.html)

[email protected] January 18th 14 03:02 AM

Newbie table top question

I am under taking a project on the honey do list. I have some minimal finish carpentry experience as well basic wood working tools, and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top. My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood laying around for the top, but I have a new idea and need help executing it. I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood as a border on the top. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood that would blend well with barn wood. Any suggestions?!

Bob[_61_] January 18th 14 03:37 AM

Newbie table top question

wrote in message

I am under taking a project on the honey do list. I have some minimal finish
carpentry experience as well basic wood working tools, and access to more if
needed. I am going to be building a table roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top.
My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood laying around for the top,
but I have a new idea and need help executing it. I would like to use a
different wood in the middle and use the barn wood as a border on the top.
But I'm having trouble finding the right wood that would blend well with
barn wood. Any suggestions?!

About four years ago I made a 4'x7' French Country style table top using
barn board for the table center and walnut as the border. The boards were 9"
to 12" wide and 1-1/2" thick. Used biscuits to keep the boards aligned and
breadboard ends. Came out looking pretty good with weathered boards and
finished walnut.

Bob S.

[email protected] January 18th 14 03:41 AM

Newbie table top question

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:02:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I am undertaking a project on the honey do list. I have some
minimal finish carpentry experience and basic wood working tools,
and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table
roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top.
My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood for the top,
but I have a new idea and need help executing it.
I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood
as a border on the top. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood
that would blend well with barn wood. Any suggestions?!

What is the function of the table ?
What type of base/leg construction ?
John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Keith nuttle January 18th 14 11:33 AM

Newbie table top question

wrote:

I am undertaking a project on the honey do list. I have some
minimal finish carpentry experience and basic wood working tools,
and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table
roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top.
My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood for the top,
but I have a new idea and need help executing it.
I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood
as a border on the top. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood
that would blend well with barn wood. Any suggestions?!

What is the function of the table ?
What type of base/leg construction ?
John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

The easiest way would be to make a frame out of the barn wood, and then
inlay a piece of half inch plywood in a rabbet in the barn wood frame.

But like previously said exactly how would depend on the construction

j January 18th 14 01:27 PM

Newbie table top question

wrote:

I am undertaking a project on the honey do list. I have some
minimal finish carpentry experience and basic wood working tools,
and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table
roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top.
My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood for the top,
but I have a new idea and need help executing it.
I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood
as a border on the top. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood
that would blend well with barn wood. Any suggestions?!

What is the function of the table ?

Now, that is a question I would ask!

And you may wish to not limit yourself to wood. Here, I have wood tables
with tile, glass or stone insets. As wonderful as wood is, it is not
always the best working surface, it depends on what you are doing and
your needs.

Don't think blend, think contrast or compliment.

With the height of the table being 4', I can't help but feel the table
has a specific purpose. Build to suit that purpose.

Jeff

[email protected] January 18th 14 02:59 PM

Newbie table top question

Thank you all for the responses. To answer your questions, the table will serve strictly as a decorative piece in our entry way. The legs will be off the shelf from menards. The skirt if you will, was going to be a stained 2x6 piece of oak. An idea I had ast night was to use two cedar 1x6s in the middle and keep the barn wood border. Thoughts?

[email protected] January 18th 14 03:41 PM

Newbie table top question

Disregard the oak, it would be cedar if the top was cedar also.

[email protected] January 19th 14 12:57 AM

Newbie table top question

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:41:24 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Disregard the oak, it would be cedar if the top was cedar also.

Define " barn wood " ...
... not barnboard by the sound of it .. ?
John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---