Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

Default Newbie table top question

On 1/17/2014 10:41 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:02:20 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I am undertaking a project on the honey do list. I have some
minimal finish carpentry experience and basic wood working tools,
and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table
roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top.
My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood for the top,
but I have a new idea and need help executing it.
I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood
as a border on the top. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood
that would blend well with barn wood. Any suggestions?!

What is the function of the table ?

Now, that is a question I would ask!

And you may wish to not limit yourself to wood. Here, I have wood tables
with tile, glass or stone insets. As wonderful as wood is, it is not
always the best working surface, it depends on what you are doing and
your needs.

Don't think blend, think contrast or compliment.

With the height of the table being 4', I can't help but feel the table
has a specific purpose. Build to suit that purpose.

Jeff

What type of base/leg construction ?
John T.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---