Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob[_61_] Bob[_61_] is offline

Default Newbie table top question

wrote in message

I am under taking a project on the honey do list. I have some minimal finish
carpentry experience as well basic wood working tools, and access to more if
needed. I am going to be building a table roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top.
My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood laying around for the top,
but I have a new idea and need help executing it. I would like to use a
different wood in the middle and use the barn wood as a border on the top.
But I'm having trouble finding the right wood that would blend well with
barn wood. Any suggestions?!

About four years ago I made a 4'x7' French Country style table top using
barn board for the table center and walnut as the border. The boards were 9"
to 12" wide and 1-1/2" thick. Used biscuits to keep the boards aligned and
breadboard ends. Came out looking pretty good with weathered boards and
finished walnut.

Bob S.