Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Look what happened to this feller's workshop

Bill wrote:

In my (limited) experience, in no-fault states, the insurance
companies don't seem to be so aggressive--they just pay their
claimants and move on. This is in stark contrast to the non-no fault
states.

Only for liability though. For collission claims - it works the same as a
non-No Fault state.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Maybe the answer depends on whether the insured lives in a "No-Fault"
state or not. In Indiana, they are not afraid to sue.

That strikes me as quite odd. What would be the purpose of insurance if the
insurance company were to simply turn around and sue you for collecting?
Are you quite certain of what you claim Bill? Got any links to this kind of
behavior by insurance companies in Indianna?

To me, it seems like the entity paying off on the homeowner's policy
could sue the entity holding the auto-liability policy. Obviously, if
they are the same company, then the there is no issue.

I can tell you for based upon a little bit of experience, that in a
"non-no-fault" state--in an accident, the insurance company of a
negligent party will pay for all of the losses (or whatever the companies "settle" upon).

Typically with no fault, insurance companies will pay for damages and look
into collecting from the other guy, whether it be the other guy or his
insurance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 14:55:55 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/14/2013 12:31 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:32:37 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/14/2013 10:29 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/14/2013 11:15 AM, Leon wrote:
On 12/14/2013 9:55 AM, Larry W wrote:
In article ,
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 12/13/2013 7:06 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake?
A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.
Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a
lot of
things have changed.

Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and
you will never do it again.

Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the
rust
will not develop badly enough to lock things up.

Rust is not necessary. In cold and we weather, the cable can literally
freeze, i.e water infiltrates the cable housing far enought so that
when it
turns to ice the cable sticks. Working in fleet vehicle maintenance for
the last 35 years I have seen it happen many of times.

I can see that being an issue but certainly not the rust if you exercise
the cables regularity.

All our road
call techs and garagemen carry propane torches this time of year. BTW,
always leave them in the cab of the truck. If they're stowed in an
unheated area they may not work too well til they warm up.

Try driving your car through a puddle a few times then parking it
overnight
in freezing weather with the parking brake set hard. While a particular
car may or may not have the brake freeze, the odds are that some will
under these conditions.

And in those occasions, you leave the vehicle in gear or Park when you
park it. Not taking some measure to prevent the vehicle from moving is
laziness.

I remember one winter I had to go to a meeting in the evening. It was
zero that night. The brake did not freeze but the oil in the standard
transmission became so stiff that I could not shift until I let he car
run for a while to warm the transmission.

Oh heck yeah!

Back in the late 80's, before the global warming fad, Houston used to
get pretty cold. I recall similar situations with my 87 Isuzu Trooper.
The temperature was "7" degrees F and that thing was a beast to drive
when it got cold.

Try 40F colder than that. ;-)

I think you will have to agree that 7 is cold, damn cold for SE Texas.

Well, yeah! There's a reason I moved to the South! ;-)

IIRC back when SE Texas was naming their small towns Pearland, Orange
after their orchards, Galveston Bay froze.

I take it that Galveston bay isn't part of the gulf? Salt?

Plenty salty, and directly connected, but situated for the most part
between the mainland and Galveston Island.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Leon wrote:

What we saw was a front rotor that was completely worn away to the
cooling fins in the center and the caliper piston was welded to that
rotor. Any sign of the pads was looooooong gone.

We had to quote her a price for replacing everything between the upper
and lower ball joints, it all had to be replaced, both sides.

I asked her how long she had been listening to the noise coming from
the front end. Her answer was a couple of days.

Choke... ummmmmm, Yup - I believe that m'am...

She probably had been listening for two days. And ignoring the noise the
previous 6 months.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake?
A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a
lot of
things have changed.

Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and
you will never do it again.

Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the rust
will not develop badly enough to lock things up.

No to emergency brakes in freezing temperatures. Same reason to never
park track equipment (dozers, etc) on the ground in freezing temperatures.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/14/2013 5:04 PM, wrote:
Not so oddly. The same reason, actually. Salt (ions) lowers the
freezing point of water.

^^^^^^^
fify ...

--
eWoodShop:
www.eWoodShop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 08:31:14 -0600, Leon wrote:

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

That's a case of "you're insured but the other guy (should) is still
liable for damage". This is the reason that "no fault" tends to
increase the cost of insurance. The law hasn't improved anything but
added another layer of insurance.

Similarly, insurance companies will pay off on "collision" coverage
and then try to collect from the other guy under his "liability"
coverage. I had that happen but the other guy wasn't to be collected
upon (DUI, switched plates, no insurance, attempt to leave the scene,
on parole - all around all-American guy).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 20:38:03 -0500, Bill

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 16:27:14 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Somebody wrote:

What's a Tesla Stop?
-------------------------------------
A place where you stop a Tesla, of course.

Where it catches fire is a good place to stop a Tesla. (Sorry, Bill)

"Recharging station" would work for Tesla Stop too.

I suppose you have a point. If you have to wait to have it recharged,
you're *stopped* for some time.

I would regard the previous notion as more of a "Tesla Grill". ; )

Hopefully there is a bar around, to drown that $100K loss.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2013 11:29 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:35:00 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Brackish water, depending upon the location.

I used to duck hunt in both Galveston and Trinity bays and it was not
unusual to break ice, of an early morning, going to the blinds in the
upper reaches where the water was brackish (more fresh water, less
salt), thus more subject to freezing.

Never would have thought that even brackish water would freeze in
Galveston. My wife lived in Houston (burbs) when she was young. She
tells amazing stories of the snowfalls (scrape an entire yard to get
enough snow to build a snowman) but never mentioned ground water
actually, you know, freezing. ;-)

It has indeed been a while, I was in jr high and high school at the
time, so it was mid to late 50's. Depending upon how old your wife is,
and whether she was a duck/goose hunter, she might have not experienced it.

Dad and I built a flat bottom, high transom, 11' plywood/fiberglass
"Jon" boat to specifically hunt the upper reaches of both bays, and I
hunted almost daily during the season as a youngster after I bought my
first car (at 14). I routinely hit the launch site around 4:30 AM, as I
had to travel up to 30 minutes get to the areas we had blinds, and on a
number of occasions broke a thin ice sheet the entire distance, which
wasn't considered remarkable enough to talk about.

Biggest snow I've experienced in Houston was around 1960. IIRC, we had
at least 4" of snow, with drifts up to a foot along our outbuildings.

Times have changed ... Hunting alone, I occasionally had to ride out a
combination low tide/strong Norther' and couldn't get back across the
flats until the tide changed late that same evening.

These days parents would call out the Coast Guard, be worried sick, and
it would be on the evening news.

Mine had the attitude that I had been taught to take care of myself,
didn't blink an eye, and the only thing I had to explain was why I had
missed school, if it was a school day.

--
eWoodShop:
www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Not at all. No Fault only deals with personal injury (liability insurance).
It is a disaster unto itself because states like NY have made it such a
nightmare to naviage the laws, but that's a different matter entirely. No
one seems to realize that no fault is not what Bill was even talking about.
This was not a no fault case. It seems to me that most people understand
less about no fault than even I do...

Similarly, insurance companies will pay off on "collision" coverage
and then try to collect from the other guy under his "liability"

WRONG! Under his collision insurance. Liability and collision are two
different things.

coverage. I had that happen but the other guy wasn't to be collected
upon (DUI, switched plates, no insurance, attempt to leave the scene,
on parole - all around all-American guy).

Right from your mouth - "no insurance..."

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2013 12:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Never would have thought that even brackish water would freeze in
Galveston. My wife lived in Houston (burbs) when she was young. She
tells amazing stories of the snowfalls (scrape an entire yard to get
enough snow to build a snowman) but never mentioned ground water
actually, you know, freezing. ;-)

Oh... what they *don't* know...

Spare us the Northern attitude that they are the only ones who can drive
in the snow:

http://www.courier-journal.com/Video...stern-New-York

Besides surviving a Winter Survival course in Garmisch, Germany, some of
us from the Gulf Coast were forced to drive daily, to an
active-in-the-air-defensive of Western Europe Missile site, through some
blizzards that would make even you Yankee snow macho's think twice.

Thanks to my $50, 1950 Volkswagon Beetle, w/tire chains, that was
sometimes exciting, but not a problem.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 12/15/2013 12:13 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Never would have thought that even brackish water would freeze in
Galveston. My wife lived in Houston (burbs) when she was young. She
tells amazing stories of the snowfalls (scrape an entire yard
to get enough snow to build a snowman) but never mentioned ground
water actually, you know, freezing. ;-)

Oh... what they *don't* know...

Spare us the Northern attitude that they are the only ones who can
drive in the snow:

Hello? Doing the good drugs today Karl? Where did I ever even hint at the
mention of driving in the snow? Look again at the context of the post I
replied to. It had nothing at all to do with driving. The brief discussion
was about the amount of snowfall in a yard.

http://www.courier-journal.com/Video...stern-New-York

Besides surviving a Winter Survival course in Garmisch, Germany, some
of us from the Gulf Coast were forced to drive daily, to an
active-in-the-air-defensive of Western Europe Missile site, through
some blizzards that would make even you Yankee snow macho's think
twice.

I'm sure you did - I know that conditions elsewhere are equally or more
demanding. But then again - you really don't know what we yankees go
through, do you? But again - that wasn't what this conversation was about.

I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying. Look at your
comments and my following comment again and I think you'll see it in a
different context

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2013 1:11 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:
[...]

Relax, Mike ... as my Rugby playing UK SIL says, just taking the ****
out of you.

He

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...g%20the%20****

Just for the record, who is "they", and exactly what is it "they don't
know"?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Ummmmm... I think the relax should point the other way. I was just
commenting on your comment about requiring an entire yard of snow to make a
snowman. Thought I'd be funny and add my comment. I don't see where that
should have been problematic. Perhaps you read it differently than I
intended? There's no **** to take out of me - I was just trying to keep the
conversation going and be light. I think you misread my post big time.

So - to answer your question - "they" was referring to the people who needed
to roll up an entire yard full of snow to make a snowman. I did not realize
I had not been obvious in my reply.
--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/15/2013 1:53 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

On 12/15/2013 12:27 PM, Swingman wrote:

through some blizzards that would make even you Yankee snow macho's
think twice.

I think you misread my post big time.

Nope, but did you miss the wink?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
google.com/+KarlCaillouet
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 12/15/2013 1:53 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

On 12/15/2013 12:27 PM, Swingman wrote:

through some blizzards that would make even you Yankee snow macho's
think twice.

I think you misread my post big time.

Nope, but did you miss the wink?

Actually, I was making reference to your comment about us yankees thinking
we are the only one who know how to drive in snow. Somehow I think we got
twisted way off base on this discourse.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:15:17 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 12/15/2013 11:29 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:35:00 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Brackish water, depending upon the location.

I used to duck hunt in both Galveston and Trinity bays and it was not
unusual to break ice, of an early morning, going to the blinds in the
upper reaches where the water was brackish (more fresh water, less
salt), thus more subject to freezing.

Never would have thought that even brackish water would freeze in
Galveston. My wife lived in Houston (burbs) when she was young. She
tells amazing stories of the snowfalls (scrape an entire yard to get
enough snow to build a snowman) but never mentioned ground water
actually, you know, freezing. ;-)

It has indeed been a while, I was in jr high and high school at the
time, so it was mid to late 50's. Depending upon how old your wife is,
and whether she was a duck/goose hunter, she might have not experienced it.

She's 61, so lived there from 52 to 66ish? I asked her about it
again, when we were out for lunch today (great Mexican place here).
She never remembered such but wouldn't have been in Galveston during
the Winter.

Dad and I built a flat bottom, high transom, 11' plywood/fiberglass
"Jon" boat to specifically hunt the upper reaches of both bays, and I
hunted almost daily during the season as a youngster after I bought my
first car (at 14). I routinely hit the launch site around 4:30 AM, as I
had to travel up to 30 minutes get to the areas we had blinds, and on a
number of occasions broke a thin ice sheet the entire distance, which
wasn't considered remarkable enough to talk about.

Biggest snow I've experienced in Houston was around 1960. IIRC, we had
at least 4" of snow, with drifts up to a foot along our outbuildings.

That's probably what she remembers. The scraping the yard part is my
Yankee spin. ;-)

Times have changed ... Hunting alone, I occasionally had to ride out a
combination low tide/strong Norther' and couldn't get back across the
flats until the tide changed late that same evening.

These days parents would call out the Coast Guard, be worried sick, and
it would be on the evening news.

Mine had the attitude that I had been taught to take care of myself,
didn't blink an eye, and the only thing I had to explain was why I had
missed school, if it was a school day.

If that happened today?!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:18:53 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

In NY, yes, but there is no reason it can't cover all insurance.

It is a disaster unto itself because states like NY have made it such a
nightmare to naviage the laws, but that's a different matter entirely.

Yes, there is no reason to have double-coverage. All it does is make
the lawyers rich.

No
one seems to realize that no fault is not what Bill was even talking about.
This was not a no fault case. It seems to me that most people understand
less about no fault than even I do...

Sure. Not contesting that point.

Similarly, insurance companies will pay off on "collision" coverage
and then try to collect from the other guy under his "liability"

WRONG! Under his collision insurance. Liability and collision are two
different things.

WRONG! Collision covers damage to your car. Liability covers damage
to other's property. When you get into an accident, not your fault,
your insurance company (if they're worth anything) will pay out,
immediately, under your collision coverage and then recoup the money
from the other company, under the other operator's LIABILITY coverage.

coverage. I had that happen but the other guy wasn't to be collected
upon (DUI, switched plates, no insurance, attempt to leave the scene,
on parole - all around all-American guy).

Right from your mouth - "no insurance..."

sigh They then *TRIED* to collect from the other moron. Since he
was such a moron, he had no insurance and no possibility of collecting
anything. If he had even my deductible, it would have been reimbursed
to me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:

[...]