Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Look what happened to this feller's workshop

Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Edited previous version:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735
Fortunately no one was hurt. I feel bad for the man (and think he was

still a bit lucky in what didn't happen!) The punch line is an
absolutely horrible pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 13, 2013 10:31:34 AM UTC-8, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun

though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

And he publicly admits to having done this? I do dumb stuff all the time but sure never broadcast it unless I think it might save someone else from the same mistake. However, this was just a mistake waiting to happen, stating a manual care while standing outside of it with the clutch depressed. Uh duh, could be a problem pretty easily, as it finally was.

Don't you always shake the stick to be sure it is in neutral even when you have a newer car that requires the clutch to be in before the starter will engage?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:51:16 -0500, Bill wrote:

He should have had a ____ Stop!

OK, I give up.
What kind of a "____ Stop" should he have had, Bill?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

Ugh! Dontchya just hate it when that kind of thing happens! Time for an
insurance claim. I can fix his truck for him though...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

He should have had a ____ Stop!

OK, I give up.
What kind of a "____ Stop" should he have had, Bill?

A... wait a minute... A TRUCK Stop!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Friday, December 13, 2013 10:31:34 AM UTC-8, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun

though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

And he publicly admits to having done this?

If you want to be really dumbfounded, go look at some of the most-recent
posts. Here, I'll save you some time:

“Will I start the darn thing from outside, on one foot? Honestly? Most
likely. But as it’s been said numerous times before, I will ensure I
smack the shifter to ensure it’s not in gear.”

I do dumb stuff all the time but sure never broadcast it unless I think it might save someone else from the same mistake. However, this was just a mistake waiting to happen, stating a manual care while standing outside of it with the clutch depressed. Uh duh, could be a problem pretty easily, as it finally was.

Don't you always shake the stick to be sure it is in neutral even when you have a newer car that requires the clutch to be in before the starter will engage?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to
happen sooner or later.

I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last person
that used it left it in gear. I wonder what part of the practice,
starting the vehicle the way he does, that he did not see as being a
likely problem.

I award him a trophy for participation!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to
happen sooner or later.

I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last
person that used it left it in gear.

I think the original post had a typo. His practice was to leave it out
of gear.

I wonder what part of the practice, starting the vehicle the way he
does, that he did not see as being a likely problem.

I award him a trophy for participation!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

I award him a trophy for participation!

------------------------------
How about stupidity instead?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though.
He should have had a ____ Stop!

As a paramedic, HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

He works on all kinds of people who do stupid things. Maybe the stupidity
was contagious. He caught it from somebody.

He was very lucky. And he is getting tools replaced, etc. So it will work
out in the end.

But TOTALLY STUPID!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, December 13, 2013 2:45:11 PM UTC-6, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Bill" Man.... http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735 Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though. He should have had a ____ Stop! As a paramedic, HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!! He works on all kinds of people who do stupid things. Maybe the stupidity was contagious.. He caught it from somebody. He was very lucky. And he is getting tools replaced, etc. So it will work out in the end. But TOTALLY STUPID!!

A couple of odd things about twoblacklabs' post. His profile states he's from IN. I'd have expected him to have his left leg on the ground and his right leg on the clutch, but.... He states the truck's passenger mirror was damaged and the picture shows the left side (driver's side, here in the states, I thought) of his truck (damaged mirror side?). Maybe the controls ARE on the right side of the truck.

F150, built Ford tough (sic)! : )

Well, I see someone else's shop is in as much "disarray" as mine. I do wish him a quick recovery, though. I'd hate to have any sort of accident or damage, as that, no matter how it's caused.

Sonny

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 2:08 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to
happen sooner or later.

I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last
person that used it left it in gear.

I think the original post had a typo. His practice was to leave it out
of gear.

I think so too. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Leaving it
out of gear and not setting the break compounds the likelihood of an
accident happening at any moment with out the motor running.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 2:23 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Leon wrote:

I award him a trophy for participation!

------------------------------
How about stupidity instead?

Lew

It is one in the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 2:45 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

As a paramedic, HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!!

He works on all kinds of people who do stupid things. Maybe the
stupidity was contagious. He caught it from somebody.

He was very lucky. And he is getting tools replaced, etc. So it will
work out in the end.

But TOTALLY STUPID!!

I like to say that he paid the "stupid tax", and he was lucky on top of
that. Suppose a child had been playing between the garage and the vehicle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

Leon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to
happen sooner or later.

I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last
person that used it left it in gear.

I think the original post had a typo. His practice was to leave it
out
of gear.

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking brake?
A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

Did I set the parking brake on the tractor? I'm going to have to go and
check.

I wonder what part of the practice, starting the vehicle the way he
does, that he did not see as being a likely problem.

I award him a trophy for participation!

I got a certificate the day I was born. I must be special. :-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 3:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

Leon wrote:
[...]

In today's world, we are all special. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

...fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

My vote is for "dumb stop." Actually, that would prevent most accidents,
wouldn't it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message ...

Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

Wonder what stopped the truck from going on through the next wall. After all
it is a Ford. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 12/13/2013 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to
happen sooner or later.

I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last
person that used it left it in gear.

I think the original post had a typo. His practice was to leave it out
of gear.

I think so too. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Leaving it
out of gear and not setting the break compounds the likelihood of an
accident happening at any moment with out the motor running.

I frequently leave my car with a standard transmission out of gear in my
garage. My garage is small and it is tight around the car. By leaving
it out of gear, if I want in the trunk I can push the car a little ahead
to make more room behind the car. If I am doing something in the front
of the garage I can push it back.

If I get up in the morning and the car will not start, I push it out of
the garage, jump in before it is going to fast, and as it is rolling
back into the street, you can pop the clutch and start the motor.

I will let someone else explain "popping the clutch"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake? A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

To be fair - he did say they are on level ground. It takes a lot to get an
F150 to start rolling, and that's not likely to be an accidental thing. I
don't know if you've ever tried to move a truck, but I've rolled my
Silverado more than once, and it takes one hell of a lot of effort to get it
rolling.

I got a certificate the day I was born. I must be special. :-)

Hey - I got one of those too. I must be special too!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake?
A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a
lot of
things have changed.

Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and
you will never do it again.

Trust me.

Some things you NEVER forget.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun though.
He should have had a ____ Stop!

The words paramedic and insurance immediately spring to mind.
There appears to be a lot of damage caused by a vehicle travelling at
tickover speed especially as the left foot was pushing clutch in (the
vehicle 'should' not have moved). At first sight the shop looks well
equipped, on further inspection I am not so sure. I was surprised to see a
chair in the place, more surprised to see two. That's just me, if I want to
sit down I go into the garden and there's rarely time to sit down there
either.
I wonder if this chap has a wife or child that is eager to learn the arts of
driving.
Being a rightpondian sceptic I think this is all baloney.
Nick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nick" wrote:

At first sight the shop looks well
equipped, on further inspection I am not so sure. I was surprised to
see a
chair in the place, more surprised to see two. That's just me, if I
want to
sit down I go into the garden and there's rarely time to sit down
there either.
I wonder if this chap has a wife or child that is eager to learn the
arts of driving.
Being a rightpondian sceptic I think this is all baloney.

The most important tool in the shop is the "Thinking" chair IMHO.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 14:04:03 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/13/2013 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

I will have to say he was pretty foolish and that was simply going to
happen sooner or later.

I'm confused, their practice is to leave it in gear and the last person
that used it left it in gear. I wonder what part of the practice,
starting the vehicle the way he does, that he did not see as being a
likely problem.

When I had sticks, I always left them in gear (reverse).

I award him a trophy for participation!

....and an honorable mention for, well, even mentioning the damned fool
mistake.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:06:40 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake?
A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a
lot of
things have changed.

Global warming?

Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and
you will never do it again.

Yup. I used to get gigged on inspections for a rusted brakes all the
time. Never used the parking brake. Still don't.

Trust me.

Some things you NEVER forget.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Man....

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/55735

Fortunately no one was hurt. The punch line is an absolutely horrible pun
though. He should have had a ____ Stop!

A truck stop?

What else? I thought it was sort of funny when I first thought of it.
But I'd probably think Tesla was funny.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Popping the clutch, who would not know what that is. But still do you
leave yur vehicle outside in neutral?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 5:21 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake? A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

To be fair - he did say they are on level ground. It takes a lot to get an
F150 to start rolling, and that's not likely to be an accidental thing. I
don't know if you've ever tried to move a truck, but I've rolled my
Silverado more than once, and it takes one hell of a lot of effort to get it
rolling.

I got a certificate the day I was born. I must be special. :-)

Hey - I got one of those too. I must be special too!

There is no excuse for it. Level ground or not, he wrecked his garage
because of him thinking that it was in neutral and not using the brake.
It is a liability and an accident waiting to happen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/13/2013 7:06 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake?
A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a
lot of
things have changed.

Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and
you will never do it again.

Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the rust
will not develop badly enough to lock things up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 23:28:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and
you will never do it again.

Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the rust
will not develop badly enough to lock things up.

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but up here it's law that
your emergency brake has to be working. Roadside spot checks
especially in winter time often check for a working emergency brake.
If it's not, a ticket with a fine attached is the result.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the
rust will not develop badly enough to lock things up.

Spend a couple of years driving in the Rust Belt and get back to me.

Road salt eats a vehicle alive.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:06:22 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
In Corpus Christi TX, north end of Padre Island and lots of fishing
there is lots of salt to keep things rusty. It was standard procedure
to drench cables with WD40 to expel the salt water.

Probably not the same type of salt, but our roads and sidewalks are
heavily salted in wintertime for traction. It's not uncommon for the
snow to temporarily melt away and the ground is still white from all
the salt spread on it. I've always wondered what all this road salt
does to the eco system.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Use your parking brake as you should and lubricate as indicated the
rust will not develop badly enough to lock things up.

Spend a couple of years driving in the Rust Belt and get back to me.

Road salt eats a vehicle alive.

Lew

I grew up in Corpus Christi, TX. not unusual to have vehicles come into
the shop with floor pans rusted out. So you are preaching to the choir
about salt and rust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Puckdropper" wrote:

If you usually leave it out of gear, wouldn't you set the parking
brake?
A good push is all it takes to set a vehicle rolling.

Those who use emergency brakes don't live in the "Rust Belt" unless a
lot of
things have changed.

Spend the time to release a frozen emergency brake cable once and
you will never do it again.

Trust me.

Some things you NEVER forget.

In the rust belt, you either always use it or you never use it. The one
thing you don't do is occassionally use it. As long as you use it all the
time, it never corrodes and freezes up.

--

-Mike-