Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Software

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just out of curosity, what do other people use as their home
page?

Blank page. I prefer to go to sites the manual way.

So, you still hand crank that machine, or have you upgraded to kerosene?

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just out of curosity, what do other people use as their home
page?

Blank page. I prefer to go to sites the manual way.

So, you still hand crank that machine, or have you upgraded to
kerosene?

It's a laptop - no place for a crank. I have to use it by the french doors
so the solor panel gets enough light. See - I am high tech!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use Google, Lew. I'm always doing searches, so it's just natural.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:17:39 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 08:48 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 20:17:14 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 08:11 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:59:31 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:29 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:22:21 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:08 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:58:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:37 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 05:32 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 23:36:36 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

j wrote:

Try disabling the plugins, they can be problematic in FF. Flash can
be a crasher and Chrome handles those crashes better. Memory leaks?,
dunno for sure.

I'm a web developer, so I have a wide variety of browsers, FireFox
just doesn't seem to be the animal it used to be.

Unfortunately - that seems to be true. So, as a web developer, are you
suggesting Chrome over Firefox these days? It's not clear from your comment
above. What a shame - Firefox used to be the relief from the Microsoft
crap, and now seems to be more of the same.

I'd rather not jump out of Microsoft's bed into Google's[*]. I'll
stick with Firefox.

[*] Apple vs. Google (cell phones) isn't a lot of choice, IMO.

Google bought the old Motorola cell phone division (Motorola Mobility)
after Mot split into Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions.

It also owns Android.

If you're talking about Android phones, Android is Linux based.

Irrelevant.

Not irrelevant if you're comparing M$ and Google phones.

Of course it is. It doesn't matter a whit where Android comes from,
it is *NOT* Linux. I wasn't really, but that part is apt, anyway.

The Android interface is most certainly built on top of the linux
kernel. There are may interfaces that run on top of the linux kernel,
KDE, GNOME, XFCE,....

Oh, good grief, another Linux junky. "The world is Linux!!!!"
GMAFB!

I noticed you didn't refute my statement.

Why would I refute irrelevance. Your whole argument is.

As Jack Nicholson said in "A
Few Good Men"... :-)
Idiot.

And yes, been using linux since 1995.

Idiot.

And yes, the internet is run mostly on linux servers on all types of
hardware from Pea Seas up to and including IBM mainframes, not to
mention most infrastructure hardware.

Irrelevant.

Ah, another M$ fan boi...

Idiot. There are none so blind as the true believer.

Ain't *that* the truth!

IKWYABWAI is about your speed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:49:37 -0500, j wrote:

On 12/5/2013 9:29 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:22:21 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:08 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:58:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:37 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

wrote:

j wrote:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Each OS has it's place. But the world is trending away from windows on
the mobile. Windows is a hog, with way too much that never should have
been in the kernel. In mobile devices power consumption is key and *nix
devices are way ahead in that as well as being leaner.

So what? I don't care for Windows but I really have no choice. That
was the whole point! sheesh

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2013 8:47 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just out of curosity, what do other people use as their home
page?

Blank page. I prefer to go to sites the manual way.

O,M,G!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2013 4:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

Thanks to all who responded.

It appears the problem is with the home page I had chosen,
Huffington Post, not updating rather than the browser, FireFox.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised now that AOL owns HP.

Just out of curosity, what do other people use as their home
page?

Lew

www.festool.com

Did you really have to ask?

You might try

http://www.shell.us/

http://www.exxon.com/usa-english/gfm/

http://www.chevron.com/

;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com
Subject

Thanks to all who responded.

It appears the problem is with the home page I had chosen,
Huffington Post, not updating rather than the browser,
FireFox.
Guess I shouldn't be surprised now that AOL owns HP.

Just out of curosity, what do other people use as their
home page?

Google. I don't browse particuar pages, just go to find info on something.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2013 2:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just out of curosity, what do other people use as their home
page?

Lew

I get a bit of news sans the various cable slants at
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/. I also watch an hour or so of tv: a bit
to catch the local weather and the night's shootings and other
bloodletting on the abc affiliate. For national/international info, I
recently switched to the Al Jazeera cable channel for its American
service. Otherwise, lots of music web sites for classical, blues, jazz,
rock, and honest to God country. Swing away.

Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:22:21 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:08 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:58:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:37 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

wrote:

j wrote:

[...]

I haven't been following this whole thread, so whatever your point was,
was missed.

Linux is not the Linux of even a few years ago.

Linux desktop and driver support has gotten quite good. It installs
easier than windows and can run Open Office, which is arguably a great,
and free competitor to Office. Open Office reads all MS types. I have on
occasion used it to open a new MS file type that my 2007 Office didn't
like. Applications, not apps, install easily and seamlessly over the
internet.

Ports of various Linux distros are available for many devices that run
Android. It some cases this can be as simple as booting from a memory card.

You can even run a version of Linux, and the Applications, on a $30
device like the Raspberry Pi.

And, you can even run Linux on your Windows desktop as a program. Just a
download, click, and install, and run it out of Windows.

So, perhaps not on *your* phone. But possible on your tablet. If it has
the roots of a Linux kernel, the device can most likely run a Linux
distro easily. Note that the MS Surface RT is not Windows.

You probably have no need to run Linux, but the foundation it has laid
is powering most of mobile, most of the internet, and has possibilities
that Windows just can't do.

Sheesh indeed.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:29:57 -0500, krw wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Yes. See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

So what? I don't care for Windows but I really have no choice. That
was the whole point! sheesh

Unless you're talking about an employer forcing you to use Windows at
work, you've got lots of choices. Several flavors of Linux, OS X, at
least two flavors of Unix, and probably one or two oddballs I've
forgotten.

BTW, Linux Mint was designed specifically for Windows users, not computer
nerds. Try it for free.

There is one caveat on Linux. I have not yet found a free CAD for Linux
that I like. And I don't need one often enough to spring for one of the
commercial ones. So on the rare occasion that I need CAD, I reboot into
XP (with networking disabled) and run TurboCad. If my use increases one
of these days I'll get it running under Wine or VirtualBox so I don't
have to reboot.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:22:21 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:08 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:58:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:37 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

wrote:

j wrote:

[...]

Of course. There are none so blind as a true believer.

Linux is not the Linux of even a few years ago.

Also completely irrelevant.

completely irrelevant chest thumping snipped
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 17:48:49 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:29:57 -0500, krw wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Yes. See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

Good Lord! Another true believer flushed out!

Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:22:21 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:08 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:58:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:37 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

wrote:

j wrote:

[...]

Clearly, you've made up your mind to believe what you believe.

Go, live in your own world.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:29:57 -0500, krw wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Yes. See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

Good Lord! Another true believer flushed out!

This Linux software, it that for those that can't figure Windows out?

;~) Duck'n n run'n
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:22:21 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:08 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:58:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:37 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

wrote:

j wrote:

[...]

Clearly you can neither read nor think.

Go, live in your own world.

You really are a moron.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:29:57 -0500, krw wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Yes. See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

Good Lord! Another true believer flushed out!

This Linux software, it that for those that can't figure Windows out?

Nah, it's just another religion. The true believers must evangelize
whenever anyone says anything that even tangentially refers to their
true calling. They can't even read, only evangelize.

;~) Duck'n n run'n

Chicken!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:20:30 -0500, krw wrote:

Clearly, you've made up your mind to believe what you believe.

Clearly you can neither read nor think.

Go, live in your own world.

You really are a moron.

Are you through trolling yet?

Was your mother scared by a penguin?

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:29:57 -0500, krw wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Yes. See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

Good Lord! Another true believer flushed out!

This Linux software, it that for those that can't figure Windows out?

Linux is a GUI-based version of UNIX, which has been around longer than
Windows. Main advantages are (1) it's free, and (b) it's not Microsoft.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/5/2013 10:11 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:59:31 -0700, Doug Winterburn

t.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:29:57 -0500, krw wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Yes. See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

Good Lord! Another true believer flushed out!

This Linux software, it that for those that can't figure Windows out?

;~) Duck'n n run'n

No, it's for those who don't mind trying out something different - kind
of like sketchup ;-)

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Dec 2013 23:50:38 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:20:30 -0500, krw wrote:

Clearly, you've made up your mind to believe what you believe.

Clearly you can neither read nor think.

Go, live in your own world.

You really are a moron.

Are you through trolling yet?

Are you though evangelizing yet?

Was your mother scared by a penguin?

Typical.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 08:29:57 -0500, krw wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

Yes. See:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Makes it a heck of a lot closer than Windows.

Good Lord! Another true believer flushed out!

This Linux software, it that for those that can't figure Windows out?

;~) Duck'n n run'n

I do keep an old XP box on the network for a couple of Windows apps -
tax software and sketchup. Since the XP box is headless, I access it
via VNC.

Everything else I need has choices of alternative apps for linux or on
my Android tablet.

No more rebooting every few days, no strange freezes, no more having to
buy new hardware (including software) at every major OS release, ...

I build my systems from barebones hardware so as to avoid the built-in
price of Windows and to get exactly the hardware I want.

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
-Winston Churchill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/6/2013 7:25 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:00:08 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 12/6/2013 8:29 AM,
wrote:

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Each OS has it's place. But the world is trending away from windows on
the mobile. Windows is a hog, with way too much that never should have
been in the kernel. In mobile devices power consumption is key and *nix
devices are way ahead in that as well as being leaner.

So what? I don't care for Windows but I really have no choice. That
was the whole point! sheesh

Really, why not?

Support, apps. You know, the things that really matter. Only the
ultra-religious care about what goes on underneath.

You can easily use either a mac or linux.

Sure I can. So what?

there's very little these days that isn't browser based or java based.
So many apps run on all platforms.

Evidently your whole life is spent on the Web. Whatever floats your
boat but I have work to do, too.

Actually my life is spent supporting extremely large systems whether
they be Linux, solaris, hpux, aix, etc.. I support terabytes of data ..
I don't care which O/S it is, as long as it is not MS. I don't
appreciate the problems I encounter when I tried having large systems
run on MS.

you are just a grumpy ass today.

So go to the bathroom and take a ****.. maybe you'll come back a nicer
grump.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:18:15 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 12/6/2013 7:25 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:00:08 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 12/6/2013 8:29 AM,
wrote:

[...]

"as long as it's not MS". That says it all. If you're in support,
who are you to tell the users what they must use. That's as bad as
"support" people telling engineers that they can't use Linux.

you are just a grumpy ass today.

Well, people telling me that I said something I didn't does tend to
rub me the wrong way. I said *nothing* about the usability of any OS
until the religious crowd started their proselytizing. Then the only
thing I said that Linux *ISN'T* supported well enough and "it's the
apps".

So go to the bathroom and take a ****.. maybe you'll come back a nicer
grump.

Maybe, but Sunday isn't for two days. Expect the religious nuts to
keep it up until at least then. They *CANNOT* do anything else but
proselytize.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

The *FACT* that he can't read and insists on evangelizing
does show that he is indeed an IDIOT. You just joined
that group.

World plus 7.129 billion idiots and/or morons.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

Mine was Yahoo.com until I was increasingly bombarded with obnoxious
ads, and the frequency of such ads in similar places still appears
to be on the increase.

So what are you using instead of yahoo.com?

google.com, but it's a matter of "avoidance", rather than because I
like the google.com page so much.

Lew,

So, I've used Google instead of Yahoo as a homepage for a little over a
month. I still browse over to Yahoo, occasionally, but it's by choice.
So, I have less "wasted" time.

I have also not renewed some magazine subscriptions in favor of trying
to read books instead and sawing more wood.

I'm not complaining though--just adapting.

Bill

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/2014 3:54 AM, Bill wrote:
So, I've used Google instead of Yahoo as a homepage for a little over a
month.

When you say your are using Google instead of Yahoo for a homepage, Are
you using Google.com which brings up the primary search screen. ie
Google and the Google title animation?

The reason I ask Google.com and Yahoo.com are not equivalent in content.
Yahoo.com brings up a news page.

I use Google.com for a home page as as a new page opens to the search
engine and loads faster as it does not have all of the pictures, text,
and animations.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 07:56:56 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

When you say your are using Google instead of Yahoo for a homepage, Are
you using Google.com which brings up the primary search screen. ie
Google and the Google title animation?

Don't know about Bill,but that's what I do - and have been for years.
Sometimes even that seems to generate amounts of CPU usage even when on
an inactive workspace (Linux). I've gotten in the habit of taking my
computer off line overnight and whenever I know it'll be idle for some
time.

--
This msg is for rec.woodworking - not homeowners hub.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 1/9/2014 3:54 AM, Bill wrote:
So, I've used Google instead of Yahoo as a homepage for a little over a
month.

When you say your are using Google instead of Yahoo for a homepage,
Are you using Google.com which brings up the primary search screen. ie
Google and the Google title animation?

Yes.

The reason I ask Google.com and Yahoo.com are not equivalent in
content. Yahoo.com brings up a news page.

Yes. One faces distraction from the start (that's was my point). The
Google "Animation" is not too distracting! ; )

Bill