Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

Default O/T: Software

On 12/6/2013 2:41 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 11:49:57 -0500, j wrote:

On 12/6/2013 8:29 AM,
wrote:
On Fri, 06 Dec 2013 01:49:37 -0500, j wrote:

On 12/5/2013 9:29 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 19:22:21 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 07:08 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:58:52 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 06:37 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 18:33:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

On 12/05/2013 05:32 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 23:36:36 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

j wrote:

Try disabling the plugins, they can be problematic in FF. Flash can
be a crasher and Chrome handles those crashes better. Memory leaks?,
dunno for sure.

I'm a web developer, so I have a wide variety of browsers, FireFox
just doesn't seem to be the animal it used to be.

Unfortunately - that seems to be true. So, as a web developer, are you
suggesting Chrome over Firefox these days? It's not clear from your comment
above. What a shame - Firefox used to be the relief from the Microsoft
crap, and now seems to be more of the same.

I'd rather not jump out of Microsoft's bed into Google's[*]. I'll
stick with Firefox.

[*] Apple vs. Google (cell phones) isn't a lot of choice, IMO.

Google bought the old Motorola cell phone division (Motorola Mobility)
after Mot split into Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions.

It also owns Android.

If you're talking about Android phones, Android is Linux based.

Irrelevant.

Not irrelevant if you're comparing M$ and Google phones.

Of course it is. It doesn't matter a whit where Android comes from,
it is *NOT* Linux. I wasn't really, but that part is apt, anyway.

The Android interface is most certainly built on top of the linux
kernel. There are may interfaces that run on top of the linux kernel,
KDE, GNOME, XFCE,....

Oh, good grief, another Linux junky. "The world is Linux!!!!"
GMAFB!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

"Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel,"

Irrelevant. Can you run Linux apps, unchanged, on your cell phone?

For that matter the Mac OS X is *nix based

Which doesn't make it Linux, either.

Each OS has it's place. But the world is trending away from windows on
the mobile. Windows is a hog, with way too much that never should have
been in the kernel. In mobile devices power consumption is key and *nix
devices are way ahead in that as well as being leaner.

So what? I don't care for Windows but I really have no choice. That
was the whole point! sheesh

I haven't been following this whole thread, so whatever your point was,
was missed.

Of course. There are none so blind as a true believer.

Linux is not the Linux of even a few years ago.

Also completely irrelevant.

completely irrelevant chest thumping snipped

Clearly, you've made up your mind to believe what you believe.

Go, live in your own world.

Jeff