Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Usenet on life support

I participate in about 10 newsgroups. For most of this year, the wreck
has been the only one with any traffic. And even it has gone from almost
100 posts a day down to 15 or 20.

The woodworking content has gotten even less. Most of the messages are
tea party members reinforcing each others paranoia.

To all of you who have provided good woodworking advice in the past,
thank you. I've even enjoyed, and taken part in, some of the more
civilized political discussions. Thanks for those as well.

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Larry Blanchard writes:

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

I am mostly an inexperienced lurker, but LumberJocks.com has a lot
of good stuff, and it is split into multiple areas, so you can avoid
the bulk of what doesn't interest you.

--
Drew Lawson | "But the senator, while insisting he was not
| intoxicated, could not explain his nudity."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
I participate in about 10 newsgroups. For most of this year, the
wreck has been the only one with any traffic. And even it has gone
from almost 100 posts a day down to 15 or 20.

The woodworking content has gotten even less. Most of the messages
are tea party members reinforcing each others paranoia.

To all of you who have provided good woodworking advice in the past,
thank you. I've even enjoyed, and taken part in, some of the more
civilized political discussions. Thanks for those as well.

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different
online woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups
since I already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone
has some other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

Bummer, guy. I'm not sure what to expect you to find when you travel out
into the great unknown. From what little bit I've seen - and it is a little
bit - you'll probably find higher traffic volumes of more stupid stuff.
Hopefully, you will discover something better. Usenet is aging, inarguably,
but I just keep finding that it's still the best place for a dinosaur like
me. I hate the nature of the other web based forums, the hijacking of our
newsgroup by web forums and the new age behaviors of those people. I guess
I'm just becoming set in my ways and less tolerant of other things.

Karl - can you lend a little insight here? Is that a bad thing?

So... venture forth - go out there into the great unknown. Even into the
great despised. But Geezus-H-Krist man - that don't mean you have to drop
out of here! We might want something from you at some point...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/2013 12:56 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
I participate in about 10 newsgroups. For most of this year, the wreck
has been the only one with any traffic. And even it has gone from almost
100 posts a day down to 15 or 20.

The woodworking content has gotten even less. Most of the messages are
tea party members reinforcing each others paranoia.

To all of you who have provided good woodworking advice in the past,
thank you. I've even enjoyed, and taken part in, some of the more
civilized political discussions. Thanks for those as well.

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

I have been disappointed too that the "wood content" has been lean
around here this week. I guess it comes in streaks.

I occasionally visit the sites sawmillcreek.org and lumberjocks.com.
The traffic is Huge at those sites though. When someone shares a project
at lumberjock there is very rarely ever any criticism. It's mostly
"Nice job", "Atta-boy" kinda stuff. I'm not interested in twittering my
way to woodworking!

Good luck and don't wander too far!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/2013 12:29 PM, Bill wrote:
[...]

I have been on here since the late 90's at least once each year the
traffic has slowed and people come and go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/2013 2:30 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I find this group is like a group of people with common interest meeting
for breakfast. Someday the only topic that they will consider is
someone's new project or tool, or a problem that someone is having with
their current project. Other days the world comes in and political
things get discussed. Some days you agree with the discussions and some
days you want to figuratively kill the next person who opens his mouth.

HOWEVER, I enjoy the information, the banter, and the political
discussions. As for me, I will continue to meet with all of you for
breakfast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

snips

Good luck and don't wander too far!
Bill

I have been on here since the late 90's at least once each year the
traffic has slowed and people come and go.

I find this group is like a group of people with common interest meeting
for breakfast. Someday the only topic that they will consider is
someone's new project or tool, or a problem that someone is having with
their current project. Other days the world comes in and political
things get discussed. Some days you agree with the discussions and some
days you want to figuratively kill the next person who opens his mouth.
HOWEVER, I enjoy the information, the banter, and the political
discussions. As for me, I will continue to meet with all of you for
breakfast.

Very well said !. Thanks.
I generally dislike the off-topic political stuff -
- it serves no use, as my Grandpa would say -
- I find that it's easy to ignore - real easy.
but I enjoy much of the off-topic humour .. thx !
I'll miss this newsgroup, once it's gone.
Breakfast is on me - Wellesley Ontario
- at Schmidtsville - don't look for a website ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:56:53 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

Festool Owners Group. It's not just Festool products, but everything
else to do with woodworking. And, it's a very active group.
http://festoolownersgroup.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Larry Blanchard
wrote:

I participate in about 10 newsgroups. For most of this year, the wreck
has been the only one with any traffic. And even it has gone from almost
100 posts a day down to 15 or 20.

The woodworking content has gotten even less. Most of the messages are
tea party members reinforcing each others paranoia.

To all of you who have provided good woodworking advice in the past,
thank you. I've even enjoyed, and taken part in, some of the more
civilized political discussions. Thanks for those as well.

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

Sorry to see you go, Larry, but all things change.

Personally, I despise web forums. They're a waste of my time.

All the best for the future,

djb

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it. "
-- Gene Spafford, 1992

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:23:44 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

I hate the nature of the other web based forums,

Mike, what I've done with the Yahoo groups I'm in is get and send posts
via email. That way I seldom visit the web sites which I don't like any
more than you do.

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different
online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

Good luck as you venture forth.

Might want to remember how to get back.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/19/2013 7:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different
online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

Good luck as you venture forth.

Might want to remember how to get back.

Lew

I feel the same way about the web based forums. There was a comment
about why the Newsgroups were disappearing, regulatory may be part of
the problem, but I think the main reason is that the provider can not
make any money from a newsgroup. While on most web forum pages, over
half the page is taken up with fixed advertising and popup advertising.
It is a matter of economics for the provider.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different
online
woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups since I
already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone has some
other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

Good luck as you venture forth.

Might want to remember how to get back.

Lew

I feel the same way about the web based forums. There was a comment
about why the Newsgroups were disappearing, regulatory may be part of
the problem, but I think the main reason is that the provider can not
make any money from a newsgroup. While on most web forum pages, over
half the page is taken up with fixed advertising and popup
advertising. It is a matter of economics for the provider.

Anyone who wants newsgroups can subscribe. I subscribed when AOL
dropped them (years ago...). It saves me the trouble of looking up the
price of gas..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

Anyone who wants newsgroups can subscribe. I subscribed when AOL
dropped them (years ago...). It saves me the trouble of looking up
the price of gas..

-------------------------------------
Sign up for Astraweb and you get the binaries including pics, if you
want them.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

My 2 cents: I appreciate the good discussions and the varied points of view on how to get from here to there in the shop. I always find the advice -- even when one writer contradicts another -- to be helpful. I also visit sawmill creek and lumber jocks and have picked up a couple of nicely priced tools from SMC classies. This is a great little community and I would miss it if it disappears.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

.... For most of this year, the wreck has been the only one with any traffic. And even it has gone from almost

100 posts a day down to 15 or 20.

The woodworking content has gotten even less. ....

It's been an unfortunate, steady deterioration of this group. At one time we had a full array of accomplished woodworkers who were happy to share expertise and information.

To me, the abundance of off-topic posts is a part of the present situation. I guess there's no way to eliminate political bull**** sessions and those lame attempts at humor. Well, sadly, I guess nothing lasts forever, and the prime saving grace is Rob's weekly quiz.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

I participate in about 10 newsgroups. For most of this
year, the wreck has been the only one with any traffic.
And even it has gone from almost 100 posts a day down to
15 or 20.

The woodworking content has gotten even less.

When one begins a new endeavour, there are always lots of "how to" thoughts
which lead to questions. Woodworking is no exception but after a relatively
short time, the confusion sorts itself out...make a rough board smooth,
square it up, cut/shape to size, hook it together with other pieces, apply a
finish. That's pretty much it and at that point, the "how to" thoughts
disappear.

So what's left? Well, the merits of different tools and brands of tools,
ditto for finishes. Plus various OT stuff. What is needed is more people -
newbies or not - asking questions. To that end, see my soon-to-be post,
"Why do lap joints work?"

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 06:58:54 -0500, "dadiOH"
So what's left? Well, the merits of different tools and brands of tools,
ditto for finishes. Plus various OT stuff. What is needed is more people -
newbies or not - asking questions. To that end, see my soon-to-be post,
"Why do lap joints work?"

I'd also add the merits of new tools, what works what doesn't. I
didn't hear about the Domino until a year or two after it came on the
market. I'd have loved to see some of the original comments from
professional users after they experienced it for the first time.

As to the need for newbies, it's getting harder to find them for
woodworking. When I was in high school a little over forty years ago,
even then they were phasing out woodshop and autoshop. Nowadays, the
first exposure and interest is computers and new technology. Very
little is left for beginning woodworkers to get introduced to the
craft.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

There's a ton of woodworkers on Google+ but they mostly seem to prefer
blogging to text based participation. Hardly worth the bother, IMO.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep. You guys are right. I've even been sucked into pointless posting.

this is my last post, and last read.

scritch.
Posted to rec.woodworking

scritch wrote:
Yep. You guys are right. I've even been sucked into pointless
posting.
this is my last post, and last read.

scritch.

I don't see that as any problem. Your posts have been mostly
controversial - you insisting on some point of controversy over that of
other's. You hit it on the head - pointless posting, except nobody sucked
you into it. It's pretty much what you post.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

As I mentioned, I did some looking on Yahoo for woodworking groups. Most
seem to be aimed at a limited audience, like Shopsmith owners or
luthiers. The few that seem to be general are not very active.

I'm surprised. There are several Yahoo groups on model RRs and tropical
fish that are quite active. Why not woodworking?

I did check out the web sites mentioned here by others. I don't like
that interface any more than Mike M. does. The reason I looked on Yahoo
is that their groups allow one to read and write via email, much like
posting to and reading a newsgroup. No web interface involved. With the
bonus that photos and files can be uploaded as well, but that does
require visiting the website.

Since few people have access to Usenet anymore, at least without paying,
and most new users have never heard of it, would there be any interest by
the wreck in starting up a general woodworking Yahoo group?

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

You seem to be basically asking the group to move. Apparently the Yahoo
woodworkers don't want to have their own woodworking forum or they would
already have one. Maybe it's more important to stand up for Usenet
before it is legislated out of existence.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Larry Blanchard writes:

I'm surprised. There are several Yahoo groups on model RRs and tropical
fish that are quite active. Why not woodworking?

I suspect that is because of the number of pretty good web forums
for woodworking. With "everyone" moving to portable devices and
bandwidth getting cheaper, the audience seems to prefer pictures.

For some topics, I can't blame them. (Just wish people would learn
to focus their cameras.)

I did check out the web sites mentioned here by others. I don't like
that interface any more than Mike M. does. The reason I looked on Yahoo
is that their groups allow one to read and write via email, much like
posting to and reading a newsgroup. No web interface involved.

I have the same preference, but so far the world has failed to shape
itself around my views. It's a shame really.

With the
bonus that photos and files can be uploaded as well, but that does
require visiting the website.

Since few people have access to Usenet anymore, at least without paying,
and most new users have never heard of it, would there be any interest by
the wreck in starting up a general woodworking Yahoo group?

I suspect that will not go anywhere. There is too much competition
for the amount of content being generated.

This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

Just FYI, usenet traffic has being going through gateways to
non-usenet venues since the '80s. It is an aspect of the design
-- the traffic can go to whatever tool is useful.

--
Drew Lawson For it's not the fall, but landing,
That will alter your social standing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote in
:

[...]

Why not create one and find out? I do prefer that the group messages be
public, so I can see if the group I'm joining is full of spam or actual
content.

All moderation can be done via e-mail if you're so inclined. Some groups
don't moderate for content, just for spam. (I wonder if the guy who set
up the old "Scratch Building" group is even still around?) That's one of
the things I like about the Wreck, no moderators to please and it's easy
to killfile buffoons.

I really don't mind forums, but they tend to be split into a hundred
different pieces. Yes, woodworking is a giant industry/hobby, but I
don't want to separate things into "Hand tools seen on The Woodwright's
Shop", "Hand tools Tommy MacDonald uses", and "Norm used a hand tool?!"
or some other nonsense.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

snip
Since few people have access to Usenet anymore, at least without
paying,
and most new users have never heard of it, would there be any
interest by
the wreck in starting up a general woodworking Yahoo group?

The only loss of access to Usenet I'm aware of is the loss of
binaries.

If you sign up with Astraweb which is either $10 (25 GB) or
$25 (180 GB) package, you get full access including binaries.

Several years ago, (2009), I splurged and got the $25 package.
Last time I checked, I've used 0.79 GB.

Based on my present usage, whoever cleans up my estate
will have lots of Astraweb time.

If I were to do it again, I'd get the $10 package.

It would appear that unless you are moving gads of data or pics,
the $10 package is good for many years of wreck duty,
so cost should not be a problem.

To answer your question, by establishing a Yahoo group, what have
you accomplished except to duplicate the wreck?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 16:54:04 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

To answer your question, by establishing a Yahoo group, what have you
accomplished except to duplicate the wreck?

Because younger woodworkers have never heard of Usenet. Because few ISPs
still carry it. Because most people won't pay for info they can find for
free, even if the interface is awful.

The numbers tell the story. rec.crafts.woodturning, rec.models.railroad,
rec.motorcycles.tech. all have almost no activity. I wish Usenet was
still as vibrant as it was 10, even 5, years ago. But it ain't. And
nothing you or I can do will revive it. It's gone to join the Fido
bulletin boards.

And did I say *I* wanted to establish a Yahoo group? I was hoping
someone who'd done it before was on the wreck and was willing :-). If
enough people show an interest and no one else steps up, I'll look into
it but it doesn't appear the interest is there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/21/2013 7:25 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

It's gone to join the Fido
bulletin boards.

I was thinking about cranking up my old Fido Echo, but my 14.4 got hit
by lighting.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 19:39:02 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 11/21/2013 7:25 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

It's gone to join the Fido
bulletin boards.

I was thinking about cranking up my old Fido Echo, but my 14.4 got hit
by lighting.

You might get a kick out of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet...t_availability

Old soldiers never die ...

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

For anyone looking for free (well, almost free) usenet access, may
I suggest getting a shell account on sdf.lonestar.org or a simiar
or from a similar organization, learn how to use a unix shell prompt
and enter commands (simiar to the old days of using a DOS prompt but
incredibly more sophisticated and powerful) and famialirizing yourself
with the text-mode program "trn" Thats's what I've been doing for the past
20 years or so, though not continuously on sdf.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org