Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Usenet on life support

Larry Blanchard wrote:
I participate in about 10 newsgroups. For most of this year, the
wreck has been the only one with any traffic. And even it has gone
from almost 100 posts a day down to 15 or 20.

The woodworking content has gotten even less. Most of the messages
are tea party members reinforcing each others paranoia.

To all of you who have provided good woodworking advice in the past,
thank you. I've even enjoyed, and taken part in, some of the more
civilized political discussions. Thanks for those as well.

But I think it's time to bite the bullet and look for a different
online woodworking community. I'll probably start at Yahoo groups
since I already am a member of several groups there. But if anyone
has some other woodworking group they like, I'm open to suggestions.

Bummer, guy. I'm not sure what to expect you to find when you travel out
into the great unknown. From what little bit I've seen - and it is a little
bit - you'll probably find higher traffic volumes of more stupid stuff.
Hopefully, you will discover something better. Usenet is aging, inarguably,
but I just keep finding that it's still the best place for a dinosaur like
me. I hate the nature of the other web based forums, the hijacking of our
newsgroup by web forums and the new age behaviors of those people. I guess
I'm just becoming set in my ways and less tolerant of other things.

Karl - can you lend a little insight here? Is that a bad thing?

So... venture forth - go out there into the great unknown. Even into the
great despised. But Geezus-H-Krist man - that don't mean you have to drop
out of here! We might want something from you at some point...

--

-Mike-