Posted to rec.woodworking

Default On my project-speaking of code rules

I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif.
The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the electrician
install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not allow
hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in the
tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"
john

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in message ...

I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif.
The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the electrician
install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not allow
hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in the
tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"
john

I built a outdoor shower when in WWll on Okinawa when in the Sea Bees. Had
it hang over a cliff for drainage. Used a oil fired water heater so hot
and cold water available. That made my fellow CB's happy. No code s to
follow there. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2013 8:23 AM, jloomis wrote:
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif.
The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the
electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not
allow hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in
the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"

IME, it has to do with drainage. Most outdoor cold water showers drain
in the flower bed, or on the ground somewhere. Add hot water and they
want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be using
it with something else than plain water during a shower.

IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line, you
will probably have no problems with local code.

Be worth checking in any event.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:23:07 AM UTC-5, jloomis wrote:
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif. The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower. Go figure.. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to provide hot water to the shower. The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not allow hot water to the outdoor shower!" I could not believe it. What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby..... and only cold. I am really amazed at this ruling. Is there any sense out there? What if I call it a "Doggy Wash" john

"Hot" is a relative term. Tell the plumber you're installing a tepid water supply, along with the not-so-tepid water supply.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:12:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:

want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be using
it with something else than plain water during a shower.

IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line,

Eeouwwww! Are you talking about people peeing in the (outdoor) shower?

I mean, would soap not be used for either hot or cold showers?

--
http://pages.videotron.com/duffym/index.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif.
The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the electrician
install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not allow
hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in the
tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"
john

Run the water through a tank painted black and call it Solar Heat. I
can remember filling a wash tub and leaving it out in the sun all day
for a warm evening bath. That was before we had electricity or
running water on the farm.

--
 GW Ross

 Blessed are they that run around in
 circles, for they shall be known as
 wheels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Duffy" wrote in message
.. .

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:12:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:

want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be using
it with something else than plain water during a shower.

IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line,

Eeouwwww! Are you talking about people peeing in the (outdoor) shower?

I mean, would soap not be used for either hot or cold showers?

Maybe it's to discourage having sex in the shower... ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:32:50 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

Maybe it's to discourage having sex in the shower... ?

Well, cold water does have a sort of "thermometer" effect.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2013 9:23 AM, jloomis wrote:
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif.
The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the
electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not
allow hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in
the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"
john

Install the heater after the deck is inspected, assuming you have a
permit and need inspection.

Shower does make sense though. The hot tub is for relaxing, not
bathing. If you shower first, the tub water will stay cleaner longer
with less chemicals.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:31:56 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:

jloomis wrote:
[...]

Just run the water through the hot tub with a "tempering coil" -
temperature is limited to the temp of the tub, no extra heater
required. Deadnuts simple. You can connect it temporarily to your
outside hose bib, so as far as code is concerned it doesn't exist.
Code MAY require a backflow preventer/anti-siphon to make sure no
water from the tub could get drawn into the water supply if the
tempering tube leaked.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2013 9:28 AM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:12:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:

want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be using
it with something else than plain water during a shower.

IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line,

Eeouwwww! Are you talking about people peeing in the (outdoor) shower?

I mean, would soap not be used for either hot or cold showers?

LOL.

We don't make the rules, Bubba ... just have to build to them.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

jloomis wrote:
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern
Calif. The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the
electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not
allow hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water
in the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"
john

The answer lies in the first sentence - "in Northern California". No more
need be said.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:

I built a outdoor shower when in WWll on Okinawa when in the Sea
Bees. Had it hang over a cliff for drainage. Used a oil fired water
heater so hot and cold water available. That made my fellow CB's
happy. No code s to follow there. WW

I think I used that shower in '73. Was that the one that said "Kilroy was
here..."

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:12:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:

want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be
using it with something else than plain water during a shower.

IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line,

Eeouwwww! Are you talking about people peeing in the (outdoor) shower?

Oh please! Eeouwwww!? Ferchristssake - have you never pee'd in the shower
or out on the front lawn? And the problem with either of these proved to be
exactly... what?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am really amazed at this ruling.

Is there any sense out there?

What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"

john

I am sure this is another global warming issue where we have no liberty and a gov't "over" the people not "of, for and by". As others posted, finish the deck, close the permit, install whatever you want.

I my area, when I pulled a permit for extensive remodel, they made me put fluorescent only fixtures or a dimmer switches in all bedrooms . I put in the fricking expensive dimmers. 2 of the 3 are already buzzing. I'll be pulling them now that I have my final. They told me after Jan 1 they will be require that for the whole house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2013 9:23 AM, jloomis wrote:
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern Calif.
The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the
electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not
allow hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water in
the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"
john

Yea, sometimes code makes no sense.
Just like our congress.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2013 1:08 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
jloomis wrote:
I have almost finished an extensive deck project here in Northern
Calif. The Owners have a hot tub on the deck and want an outdoor shower.
Go figure. We are making the outdoor shower pad, and had the
electrician install a conduit for an instant hot water unit to
provide hot water to the shower.
The plumber came by to hook up the drain and said, "country does not
allow hot water to the outdoor shower!"
I could not believe it.
What the jell does a person have a Hot Tub on a deck, (with hot water
in the tub no less)and needs a shower nearby.....
and only cold.
I am really amazed at this ruling.
Is there any sense out there?
What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"
john

The answer lies in the first sentence - "in Northern California". No more
need be said.

Ahhhh Californication.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

WW wrote:

I built a outdoor shower when in WWll on Okinawa when in the Sea
Bees. Had it hang over a cliff for drainage. Used a oil fired water
heater so hot and cold water available. That made my fellow CB's
happy. No code s to follow there. WW

I think I used that shower in '73. Was that the one that said "Kilroy was
here..."

--

-Mike-

Gee is that still there. I built to last. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is our contention.
I just cannot believe that the county local code would have such a ruling.
What if a person were to hook up a hose to a water heater and wash a dam
dog!
jeeeedsh.
john

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Got that right.
I always tell people if we had a the Building Inspection and Coastal
Development Dept. around in the time of
Egypt, we would not have any Pyramids.
john

jloomis wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree. I avoid permit application wherever possible.
It just leads to expensive construction.
I believe now, in new construction, fire sprinklers have to be in all rooms.
I know, fire prevention is important.
And, the cost of the fire sprinkler adds considerable cost to the new home.
Now in a rural area, you have to provide water for the
sprinklers........hummmmm-another storage tank no less.
And, when the power goes.....hummm- a generator-...hummmm, and gasoline
storage.....hummmm.
it goes on and on.
john

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

I am really amazed at this ruling.

Is there any sense out there?

What if I call it a "Doggy Wash"

john

I am sure this is another global warming issue where we have no liberty and
a gov't "over" the people not "of, for and by". As others posted, finish the
deck, close the permit, install whatever you want.

I my area, when I pulled a permit for extensive remodel, they made me put
fluorescent only fixtures or a dimmer switches in all bedrooms . I put in
the fricking expensive dimmers. 2 of the 3 are already buzzing. I'll be
pulling them now that I have my final. They told me after Jan 1 they will be
require that for the whole house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/24/2013 8:03 AM, jloomis wrote:
That is our contention.
I just cannot believe that the county local code would have such a ruling.
What if a person were to hook up a hose to a water heater and wash a dam
dog!
jeeeedsh.
john

"The general public had better start thinking long and hard about
whether they want to live in a society that shares risks, or a society
that attempts to eliminate all risks through the elimination of personal
freedoms and individual discretion."

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:12:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:

want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be
using it with something else than plain water during a shower.

IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line,

Eeouwwww! Are you talking about people peeing in the (outdoor) shower?

Oh please! Eeouwwww!? Ferchristssake - have you never pee'd in the shower
or out on the front lawn? And the problem with either of these proved to be
exactly... what?

The grass grew faster requiring more frequent mowing. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 10/24/2013 8:03 AM, jloomis wrote:
That is our contention.
I just cannot believe that the county local code would have such a
ruling. What if a person were to hook up a hose to a water heater
and wash a dam dog!
jeeeedsh.
john

"The general public had better start thinking long and hard about
whether they want to live in a society that shares risks, or a society
that attempts to eliminate all risks through the elimination of
personal freedoms and individual discretion."

Preach it brother!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

jloomis wrote:

Got that right.
I always tell people if we had a the Building Inspection and Coastal
Development Dept. around in the time of
Egypt, we would not have any Pyramids.
john

I just wish you guys would cut that stuff out. Don't you know the great
state of NY is prone to follow every hair-brained idea that originates out
there?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

jloomis wrote:

I agree. I avoid permit application wherever possible.
It just leads to expensive construction.
I believe now, in new construction, fire sprinklers have to be in all
rooms. I know, fire prevention is important.
And, the cost of the fire sprinkler adds considerable cost to the new
home. Now in a rural area, you have to provide water for the
sprinklers........hummmmm-another storage tank no less.
And, when the power goes.....hummm- a generator-...hummmm, and
gasoline storage.....hummmm.
it goes on and on.
john

Not to mention the influence of the trades. I tell homeowners in the areas
where the IBEW has a stranglehold to indicate homeowner self-help for
electrical work. That eliminates the otherwise imposed requirement for a
Master Electrician's stamp which starts at $200 and goes up based on the
whim of the ME. For doing nothing more than stating that I did the work
properly without even having seen it. Once the permit is issued, I do my
work, get it inspected, collect my pocket change and move on. For most
work - I recommend they do not even pull a permit, but that's their call.
Since new construction is often what gets me there in the first place, most
homeowners go the route of the permit.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:12:43 -0500, Swingman wrote:

want to protect the groundwater because someone will assuredly be
using it with something else than plain water during a shower.

IOW, if the shower in question is connected to a sewer/septic line,
Eeouwwww! Are you talking about people peeing in the (outdoor)
shower?

Oh please! Eeouwwww!? Ferchristssake - have you never pee'd in the
shower or out on the front lawn? And the problem with either of
these proved to be exactly... what?

The grass grew faster requiring more frequent mowing. :-)

Yeabut, only in small clumps...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey, Not my idea.
I can safely say I still have an outhouse on my acreage, that has never
needed pumping, never leaked, cost less to build than 100.00 and still works
after 30 years.
Oh, yes, I have made it on skids and moved it once a few years to a new
locale.
It is a field unit......garden outdoor.....in the Redwoods.
Oh and easy to clean.....get a garden hose and aim......
john