Posted to rec.woodworking

Default On my project-speaking of code rules

jloomis wrote:

I agree. I avoid permit application wherever possible.
It just leads to expensive construction.
I believe now, in new construction, fire sprinklers have to be in all
rooms. I know, fire prevention is important.
And, the cost of the fire sprinkler adds considerable cost to the new
home. Now in a rural area, you have to provide water for the
sprinklers........hummmmm-another storage tank no less.
And, when the power goes.....hummm- a generator-...hummmm, and
gasoline storage.....hummmm.
it goes on and on.
john

Not to mention the influence of the trades. I tell homeowners in the areas
where the IBEW has a stranglehold to indicate homeowner self-help for
electrical work. That eliminates the otherwise imposed requirement for a
Master Electrician's stamp which starts at $200 and goes up based on the
whim of the ME. For doing nothing more than stating that I did the work
properly without even having seen it. Once the permit is issued, I do my
work, get it inspected, collect my pocket change and move on. For most
work - I recommend they do not even pull a permit, but that's their call.
Since new construction is often what gets me there in the first place, most
homeowners go the route of the permit.

--

-Mike-