Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ridiculous FHA rules II

I've read all the responses to my previous post and thought I'd make
my original post a little clearer.
First, I might have misled by using the term FHA. In fact, it's what
is called a Rural Development mortgage from the USDA. The rules for
acceptance are written out in a handbook that can be found online.
One of the rules states that there can be no "chipped, peeling or
flaking paint" on the outside of any buildings and fences that were
built before 1978. It has nothing to do with what is in the
contract. The mortgage is dependant on the approval of the appraiser.
He now rejected it for a fourth time. Why he did, we don't know. We
have nothing else we can do to the paint. He doesn't return calls or
emails. I have complained to the state office for Rural Development
and they are no help.
The buyers have decided to can the RD deal and get a conventional
mortgage. It is so screwed up because the buyers do not even want the
paint problem addressed. They want to paint the house themselves.
I have contacted my rep. and senator about the thing and am waiting to
see their reaction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/12/2009 4:54 PM (ET) rile wrote the following:
[...]

USDA? Is this a farm?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:54:08 -0700 (PDT), rile
wrote:

[...]

Whatever you do, don't let Oscar be your arbitration mediator!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 8/12/2009 4:54 PM (ET) rile wrote the following:

USDA? Is this a farm?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Most likely the Farmer' s Home Admin program and no it does not need to be a
farm but it needs to be considered a rural area.

The inspectors are demi-gods and can be more difficult than any other home
inspection process.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 3:54*pm, rile wrote:
[...]

Hardware stores sell test kits for lead paint for about 8$, if there
is no lead inquire about a wayver on the rule, or scrape the loose
crap off. Whats the big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 4:54*pm, rile wrote:
I've read all the responses to my previous post and thought I'd make
my original post a little clearer.
First, I might have misled by using the term FHA. *In fact, it's what
is called a Rural Development mortgage from the USDA. *The rules for
acceptance are written out in a handbook that can be found online.
One of the rules states that there can be no "chipped, peeling or
flaking paint" on the outside of any buildings and fences that were
built before 1978. *It has nothing to do with what is in the
contract.

I would say it could still have a lot to do with what was in your
contract. For example, if the contract said that if repairs
following inspections are more than $2000, you can cancel the deal,
then you have an out. You get a painter to give an estimate of
greater than $2000 to do an ultra job that satisfies the unreasonable
inspector.

On the other hand, if the contract says you gotta fix everything no
matter what, which is what someone appeared to be saying can happen
with an FHA, then you'd have a potentially big problem.

*The mortgage is dependant on the approval of the appraiser.
He now rejected it for a fourth time. *Why he did, we don't know.

First you said it was an FHA inspector, now you say it's the
appraiser? Are you sure you are getting ALL the information?
Regardless of who is doing the inspections, the inspectors client is
the mortgage company and the mortgage company's client is the buyer.
Any reports and info would go to them, but they may not be passing
everything on to you. The inspector has no direct obligation to
you. No inspector/appraiser can just say no with no explanation to
the parties who hired him.

Usually the contract will specify that inspection reports,
deficiencies, etc must be completed within X days and that those
reports spelling out any deficiencies must be delivered to you within
Y days thereafter. IF they aren't doing that, then you should have an
out, provided you had a contract that did a reasonable job of
protecting your interests.

*We
have nothing else we can do to the paint. *He doesn't return calls or
emails. *I have complained to the state office for Rural Development
and they are no help.
The buyers have decided to can the RD deal and get a conventional
mortgage.

And that sounds like the easiest solution to the problem.

*It is so screwed up because the buyers do not even want the
paint problem addressed. *They want to paint the house themselves.
I have contacted my rep. and senator about the thing and am waiting to
see their reaction

Given that these guys say they don't have time to read $1 trillion
spending bills, how much time you think their gonna spend on you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 5:33*pm, wrote:
On Aug 12, 4:54*pm, rile wrote:

[...]

The appraiser and inspector are one and the same guy. You'd be
surprised how well our senator gets back to his
constituents....probably better than most.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 5:21*pm, ransley wrote:
On Aug 12, 3:54*pm, rile wrote:

[...]

crap off. Whats the big deal.- Hide quoted text -

You haven't read what I've posted. We have power washed, scraped and
repainted everywhere. There is nothing left to do on the paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 5:02*pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

It is not a farm. It is 3+ acres out in the country. In fact,
according to the rules, houses in some rather large towns are eligible
for the program. Most of the area where I live outside Columbus, Ohio
qualifies for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 3:54*pm, rile wrote:

[...]

repainted everywhere. *There is nothing left to do on the paint.- Hide quoted text -

Then why wont he meet with you on site to go over his complaint. That
would be easiest on you and him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rile" wrote in message
[...]

Oh boy, all that flaming over nothing! Thanks a lot!!!!! LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 3:54*pm, rile wrote:

[...]

would be easiest on you and him.- Hide quoted text -

I do not know why he requested nobody be there at his latest
inspection. We haven't received the report yet other than it was
rejected again. I'd like to report the guy to someone but have no
idea where I should do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 3:54*pm, rile wrote:

[...]

Contact a lawyer. Sounds like he's interfering in your contract for
no valid reason. The request that no one be there sounds ridiculous
to me. One might think he only shows up long enough to verify no one
is there to see him and then he turns around and goes shopping. Many
states have licensing requirements for home inspectors.

I had a "termite" inspector who was a bit like that on a home I was
selling. Some people just seem to like being ass holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 3:54*pm, rile wrote:

[...]

Does he have credentials? A license? Get the information from those,
which he has an obligation to share with you, and then you will know
whom to contact.