Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Default MLB Bat Rules

Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

I think sometimes they use cork for inner laminations!

--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , Tom Watson wrote:
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

No.

"1.10 (a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2 3/4 inches in
diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat
shall be one piece of solid wood."

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...jectives_1.jsp

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

n/a

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Anything you want. Rule 1.10 (d) prohibits the use of colored bats without
prior approval, and I imagine that an umpire would look a bit askance at a bat
made of, say, purpleheart, under that rule. But a strict reading of the rules
would permit it.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Doug
Miller wrote:

No.

"1.10 (a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2 3/4 inches
in
diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat
shall be one piece of solid wood."

Maybe.

You edited, Doug...

1.10
(a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2 3/4 inches
in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length.
The bat shall be one piece of solid wood. *NOTE: No laminated or
experimental bats shall be used in a professional game (either
championship season or exhibition games) until the manufacturer has
secured approval from the Rules Committee of his design and methods of
manufacture.*

(emphasis mine)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Thanks, Doug.

I want to make a bat as a present for a friend of mine who plays in a
Senior league that abides by MLB rules.

You kept me from being a little more creative than the rules
apparently allow for.

I'm not a fast enough lathe guy to waste time on the road not to be
taken.

Thanks again.

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:50:31 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett

"Tom Watson" asks:

If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Leon answered:
Ash

Is Hickory allowed and/or used?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Ash

I have seen maple used by some turners.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 23:12:38 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
.com...

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Ash

I have seen maple used by some turners.

I saw an interview a while back where a player was saying sometimes
depending on the weather they use a different wood. I can't remember
whether it was related to how often they'd break or how the ball
travelled off it.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 20:21:27 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

No

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Only two in use in the MLB are Ash and Maple, whether others would be
allowed I do not know.

(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , Markem
wrote:

Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

No

Read the rules. There is provision for laminated bats to be approved.
Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:050420062234298987%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Markem
wrote:

Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

No

Read the rules. There is provision for laminated bats to be approved.

The question was not "could they?", but rather "do they?". I don't know if
any laminated bats have been approved, but I have a strong suspicion the
answer is "no".

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone

In article , todd
wrote:

The question was not "could they?", but rather "do they?". I don't know if
any laminated bats have been approved, but I have a strong suspicion the
answer is "no".

The question (that you quoted) was "Does MLB allow glued up blanks for
bats?".

The rules state:

"NOTE: No laminated or experimental bats shall be used in a
professional game (either championship season or exhibition games)
until the manufacturer has secured approval from the Rules Committee of
his design and methods of manufacture."

The answer to the question "Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?"
is, therefore, "such bats are expressly allowed but require the
approval of the Rules Committee".

Quod erat demonstrandum.
Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:050420062301069921%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , todd
wrote:

The question was not "could they?", but rather "do they?". I don't know
if
any laminated bats have been approved, but I have a strong suspicion the
answer is "no".

The question (that you quoted) was "Does MLB allow glued up blanks for
bats?".

The rules state:

"NOTE: No laminated or experimental bats shall be used in a
professional game (either championship season or exhibition games)
until the manufacturer has secured approval from the Rules Committee of
his design and methods of manufacture."

The answer to the question "Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?"
is, therefore, "such bats are expressly allowed but require the
approval of the Rules Committee".

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Think about the original question. Someone wants to make a bat that
complies with the current rules. Until such time as the rules committee
says they are allowed, they are not allowed. So the answer for now is "no".

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
.. .
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Ash

Actually, the rules don't say anything about the type of wood. Ash is most
common, but it's certainly not the only thing permitted. IIRC, Babe Ruth used
bats made of rock maple.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"todd" wrote in message
. ..

Think about the original question. Someone wants to make a bat that
complies with the current rules. Until such time as the rules committee
says they are allowed, they are not allowed. So the answer for now is
"no".

That is assuming that the no laminated bats have been approved. There very
well could be some laminated bats that are approved and being used.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"todd" wrote in message
. ..

Think about the original question. Someone wants to make a bat that
complies with the current rules. Until such time as the rules committee
says they are allowed, they are not allowed. So the answer for now is
"no".

That is assuming that the no laminated bats have been approved. There
very well could be some laminated bats that are approved and being used.

I stipulated this in an earlier post. Until someone brings evidence to the
contrary, I'm assuming no laminated bats have been approved. Perhaps I'm
being optimistic, but I would think that would have generated at least a
mention on the sports radio stations I listen to.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Stuyck

Tom,

"...not a fast enough lathe guy..." caught my attention. You already have
the "word" on your original query: One piece.

It doesn't take that long. I hadn't used my lathe in maybe 20-25 years
when I happened to catch a New Yankee Workshop episode on
lathe basics. My grandson -- then almost 8 -- asked if I had such a
tool (he loves to watch with me, along with his little sister!). I did, and
we went out to the shop to look it over.

Norm Abram ended the show by turning a bat, then going out to
Fenway Park where a big leaguer used it in batting practice and
knocked one or two over the Green Monster.

So...I go to the hardwood dealer, buy a bat billet, and turn a bat
for my grandson. 29" length in exactly the same proportions as
one of his aluminum bats. BIG mistake. First batting practice he
cracked it! (I'm VERY proud of the guy!) The long, thin handle
of an aluminum bat is too long, too thin, and creates a weak spot
about where the diameter starts to grow to the barrel.

So...another trip to the hardwood dealer, another billet, and now
I pay attention to the shape of other wooden bats. It's heavier
than the original, even though I made it only 28" long.

Moral of the story, for the bat for your friend, is find out how long
(and how heavy) he wants his bat, then find one that meets his
needs and copy it.

By the way, a gouge is a lot easier for me to use than a skew, so
almost everything was done with a 3/4" gouge and a parting tool.
I used a skew mostly for "smoothing" (along with sandpaper and
a rasp).

Jim Stuyck

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Thanks, Doug.

I want to make a bat as a present for a friend of mine who plays in a
Senior league that abides by MLB rules.

You kept me from being a little more creative than the rules
apparently allow for.

I'm not a fast enough lathe guy to waste time on the road not to be
taken.

Thanks again.

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:50:31 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Tom Watson
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Zz Yzx

Bonds and serverla other elite players have been using hard maple
bats, custom made in Canada. Hickory is also used. Ash is the most
common still.

-Zz

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 02:55:13 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
.. .
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Ash

Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message ...
Bonds and serverla other elite players have been using hard maple
bats, custom made in Canada. Hickory is also used. Ash is the most
common still.

-Zz

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 02:55:13 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
. ..
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Ash

Rules of baseball says it has to be one solid piece of wood.

It makes no mention of the type of wood allowed -- so any,
one supposes.

Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

You have to think that a bat made from purpleheart or zebrano or
karelian birch would look magnificent, but probably not be strong
enough for anything but bunting. I note no mention of min/max weight -
and I'm sure there must be. So although theoretically any wood could
be used for a bat, some (like lignum vitae?) would probably be
automatically excluded because of their heaviness.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article .com, "foggytown" wrote:
You have to think that a bat made from purpleheart or zebrano or
karelian birch would look magnificent, but probably not be strong
enough for anything but bunting.

Purpleheart, at least, would surely be strong enough for a full swing at a
Randy Johnson fastball. For bunting, one would want a bat that's nearly as
"dead" as possible; cottonwood, basswood, and balsa spring to mind.

I note no mention of min/max weight -
and I'm sure there must be.

Actually, there is neither a minimum nor maximum weight, only maximum diameter
and maximum length.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "foggytown" wrote:
You have to think that a bat made from purpleheart or zebrano or
karelian birch would look magnificent, but probably not be strong
enough for anything but bunting.

Purpleheart, at least, would surely be strong enough for a full swing at a
Randy Johnson fastball. For bunting, one would want a bat that's nearly as
"dead" as possible; cottonwood, basswood, and balsa spring to mind.

Maybe elm as it is lighter than most hardwoods but not prone to
splitting.

I've read that cricket bats are made from willow.

I'd like to see a bat made from persimmon.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...

I'd like to see a bat made from persimmon.

Golf Ball Bat. ;~) Golf club "Woods" are often made from persimmon.