Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Default MLB Bat Rules

Thanks, Doug.

I want to make a bat as a present for a friend of mine who plays in a
Senior league that abides by MLB rules.

You kept me from being a little more creative than the rules
apparently allow for.

I'm not a fast enough lathe guy to waste time on the road not to be
taken.

Thanks again.

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:50:31 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Tom Watson wrote:
Does MLB allow glued up blanks for bats?

No.

"1.10 (a) The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2 3/4 inches in
diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42 inches in length. The bat
shall be one piece of solid wood."

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/of...jectives_1.jsp

Secondary question: Can the individual laminations be of different
woods?

n/a

Tertiary Question: If glue-ups are not allowed, what woods are
allowed?

Anything you want. Rule 1.10 (d) prohibits the use of colored bats without
prior approval, and I imagine that an umpire would look a bit askance at a bat
made of, say, purpleheart, under that rule. But a strict reading of the rules
would permit it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)