Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Menards

Menards just opened in our area, so went to look at their shed doors.
Unfortunately they are not kept in stock and take 4-6 weeks to
receive. They are foam core insulated steel doors (2), pre-hung on a
steel frame. Has anyone had any experience with these? Or Menards?

We need to replace or rebuild our shed doors and this may be a better
than wood. It will offer more security and should be easy enough to
hang once the door is framed. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Menard's doors will run about $269, free delivery to store. I haven't
priced out parts/lumber for a wood shed door, but it's barn style
doors 5'11" by 7'1". The original doors never alighed completely so
never bolt lock on the inside, just an outside padlock. Also the cross
wood (decoration) got water behind it and caused those pieces to rot
and started the doors rotting. If we go wood, we would bolt the door
thru the hinges instead of screw as the originals were as we had to
move them three times due to trim wood failure.

My husband and I have been trying to get outside things done before
winter, ergo I've been asking a few questions lately. Since I work
from home, and have more woodworking experience, I get to field this
work and research. So, any advice or information is appreciated.
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 00:14:06 -0400, Casper
wrote:

We need to replace or rebuild our shed doors and this may be a better
than wood. It will offer more security and should be easy enough to
hang once the door is framed. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Menard's doors will run about $269, free delivery to store. I haven't
priced out parts/lumber for a wood shed door, but it's barn style
doors 5'11" by 7'1".

Sounds like a good way to go. Once you price out the wood and the
time to build, this is a pretty good deal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

We need to replace or rebuild our shed doors and this may be a better
than wood. It will offer more security and should be easy enough to
hang once the door is framed. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Menard's doors will run about $269, free delivery to store. I haven't
priced out parts/lumber for a wood shed door, but it's barn style
doors 5'11" by 7'1".

Sounds like a good way to go. Once you price out the wood and the
time to build, this is a pretty good deal.

You will really like Menards. When we were in Indianapolis we had Lowes
and Home Depot, within about a mile of our house, but because of
customer service and price we would drive about 7 miles to the Menards.

I wish we would get one here in Raleigh.
Posted to rec.woodworking

As Ed say's.....sounds like a winner.
Again, I always weigh the facts.....
If it takes 4 to 6 weeks delivery, and you are not working on any special
project,
then it would be a good time to build some doors.
Either way........flip a coin.
john

"Casper" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote:

Menards just opened in our area, so went to look at their shed
doors.
Unfortunately they are not kept in stock and take 4-6 weeks to
receive. They are foam core insulated steel doors (2), pre-hung on a
steel frame. Has anyone had any experience with these? Or Menards?

We need to replace or rebuild our shed doors and this may be a
better
than wood. It will offer more security and should be easy enough to
hang once the door is framed. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Definitely stronger than wood.

The urethane core provides insulation.

Also, probably less weight than wood construction.

This construction came about as a result of Andrew when
it tore up a big piece of South Florida back in '92.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

We need to replace or rebuild our shed doors and this may be a better
than wood. It will offer more security and should be easy enough to
hang once the door is framed. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Menard's doors will run about $269, free delivery to store. I haven't
priced out parts/lumber for a wood shed door, but it's barn style
doors 5'11" by 7'1".

Sounds like a good way to go. Once you price out the wood and the
time to build, this is a pretty good deal.

Agreed. I think the OP will like the steel door. Just keep it
painted and it should last a good long time.

You will really like Menards. When we were in Indianapolis we had Lowes
and Home Depot, within about a mile of our house, but because of
customer service and price we would drive about 7 miles to the Menards.

I wish we would get one here in Raleigh.

There is a Menards near both my mother's and brother's house. I
wasn't impressed, at all. I find HD and Lowes vary widely by region.
Here, HD is better than Lowes. In OH, it was the other way around, by
a long shot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I have Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes all within a few miles of me. This
week Lowes and Menards put a "leaf rake" on sale. $17.99, or so, at
Lowes, and $4.99 at Menards. If you want to buy DeWalt power tools, then
you have to go to Lowes. If you want Formaldehyde-free plywood, then you
have to go to Home Depot. Menards gives me free t-shirts and hats. One
of my relatives thinks that the lumber always "looks better" at Home
Depot than at Menards, and he is right at least some of the time.

Incidentally, Lowes gives 5% discount at time-of-purchase if you use
their credit card--but they seemed to have raised at least some of the
prices in the store by about the same amount at the same time they
started that. Menards gives 2% rebate once a year on all purchases. I
have to give Lowes a "-1" on that account, for effectively charging it's
customers different prices. My wallet prefers Menards, but I am glad to
have the opportunity to find the best value for myself among the three
stores.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote in
:

Menards just opened in our area, so went to look at their shed doors.
Unfortunately they are not kept in stock and take 4-6 weeks to
receive. They are foam core insulated steel doors (2), pre-hung on a
steel frame. Has anyone had any experience with these? Or Menards?

*snip*

Plenty of experience with Menards. Most of it's pretty good, but you do
need to realize what you're getting in to. Their quality range goes from
the low and cheap to the mid-range.

They often have things "free after rebate", which is great if it's
something you can use anyway. Recently they've had "Make a buck" rebates
on towels and wash clothes. They're good towels (dark pink) and wash
clothes (dark purple), plus you get a credit check to use in store for a
future purchase.

The Menards rebates are in-store credit, but if you're going to shop
there anyway it's no big deal.

Last time we ordered something, they asked for my phone number and e-mail
address. They sent a tracking link to my e-mail address (well, to a
special one I give to companies that shouldn't be asking.), but did not
call when the order was in (and told me they weren't going to).

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Casper wrote in
:

Menards just opened in our area, so went to look at their shed doors.
Unfortunately they are not kept in stock and take 4-6 weeks to
receive. They are foam core insulated steel doors (2), pre-hung on a
steel frame. Has anyone had any experience with these? Or Menards?

*snip*

Plenty of experience with Menards. Most of it's pretty good, but you do
need to realize what you're getting in to. Their quality range goes from
the low and cheap to the mid-range.

They often have things "free after rebate", which is great if it's
something you can use anyway. Recently they've had "Make a buck" rebates
on towels and wash clothes. They're good towels (dark pink) and wash
clothes (dark purple),

Bought a set or two of that color once. It didn't take long before all
of my white clothes had the same hue. I file that memory under "lessons
learned".

Menards has plenty of stuff that is just as good as anyone's (e.g. they
have a great assortment of light bulbs). They also have the best
screw/nut/bolt collection (locally) to choose from--which I appreciate.
From what I've read, I'll never buy any of their fluorescent light fixtures.

plus you get a credit check to use in store for a
future purchase.

The Menards rebates are in-store credit, but if you're going to shop
there anyway it's no big deal.

Last time we ordered something, they asked for my phone number and e-mail
address. They sent a tracking link to my e-mail address (well, to a
special one I give to companies that shouldn't be asking.), but did not
call when the order was in (and told me they weren't going to).

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Plenty of experience with Menards. Most of it's pretty good, but you do
need to realize what you're getting in to. Their quality range goes from
the low and cheap to the mid-range.

This is why I was disappointed they did not have one set of doors on
display so people can see what they look like. Thay have tons of other
doors, including steel basement doors, just not these shed doors. I
really wanted to get an idea of their quality.

Last time we ordered something, they asked for my phone number and e-mail
address. They sent a tracking link to my e-mail address (well, to a
special one I give to companies that shouldn't be asking.), but did not
call when the order was in (and told me they weren't going to).
Puckdropper

My second concern is shipping mistakes or other delays. Six weeks will
put us right before Thanksgiving and any longer than that could be a
real problem for us weather wise. Ohio weather has been flakey the
last few years and this year all the almanac lovers are telling me
we're going to be getting our past due snow. Not what I am looking
forward to, for sure.

Is it wise to cut away part of the lower sidewall of a shed and
replace it? Basically a 6-8 inch portion of the bottom all along both
sides has gotten quite wet and started falling apart. I thought about
a horizontal cut all across, removing the damaged part, then putting
in new wood and filling the gap line with filler, then paint. I'm just
not sure that's wise with all the water it gets.
`Casper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote:

My second concern is shipping mistakes or other delays. Six weeks
will
put us right before Thanksgiving and any longer than that could be a
real problem for us weather wise. Ohio weather has been flakey the
last few years and this year all the almanac lovers are telling me
we're going to be getting our past due snow. Not what I am looking
forward to, for sure.

snip
Assuming you are in Northern Ohio, is Dick Goddard still around
doing his wooley bear forecasts of the upcoming winter?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/14/2013 10:50 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Assuming you are in Northern Ohio, is Dick Goddard still around
doing his wooley bear forecasts of the upcoming winter?

_Everybody_ knows it's the number of foggy mornings in October on Crab
Orchard Mountain, not the woolly bears!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/14/2013 10:13 AM, Casper wrote:

Is it wise to cut away part of the lower sidewall of a shed and
replace it? Basically a 6-8 inch portion of the bottom all along both
sides has gotten quite wet and started falling apart. I thought about
a horizontal cut all across, removing the damaged part, then putting
in new wood and filling the gap line with filler, then paint. I'm just
not sure that's wise with all the water it gets.
`Casper

Well, it's either that or replace the whole or do nothing and let it
continue to fail. I presume you can see what shape the studs are in
from the inside? Of course, even if they're pretty well shot at the
bottom you can scab onto them if needs must be.

From a practical standpoint of doing such repair, if you can manage to
do so, the more weatherproof solution is to pull the remaining siding
loose another foot and slide the new under to shed water (just don't
nail too close to the joint and break the surface). I've also on at
least one occasion put two rows of horizontal cementboard 6" clapboards
around the bottom that is much more water resistant. Of course, it
helps if you can raise the whole thing up on another layer of blocks so
it has some ground clearance as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:
[...]

If you have a Menards in your area, then you also have both Lowes and Home
Depot. I know HD will fight for your business and will match/beat any
competitor's price - not sure about Lowes, but I'd bet they'd do the same.
I'd go in and talk to both. You'd be surprised at how fast they can make
things happen if they want to. It's worth the shot. I know that when I
worked at HD, we "had ways" of finding stuff on some rail car somewhere, to
fulfill a need like this. Just hold fast to Menard's pricing - and get a
better deal from HD. Don't let your time crunch cause you to lose out on a
discounted price.

Is it wise to cut away part of the lower sidewall of a shed and
replace it? Basically a 6-8 inch portion of the bottom all along both
sides has gotten quite wet and started falling apart. I thought about
a horizontal cut all across, removing the damaged part, then putting
in new wood and filling the gap line with filler, then paint. I'm just
not sure that's wise with all the water it gets.

If you had a water problem, you have a water problem. Fix that problem. Go
ahead with your idea but at the same time, install flashing under the siding
above the cut line and bend it out over the new piece. You have to provide
a water relief for the area that is evidenced as a problem area. Paint the
flashing if you want to make it less obvious. Even if you only flash from
under the good siding and down 1" over the seam of the new siding, you will
be vastly improved - assuming a good paint finish. A filler like you
suggest could indeed work, but you just have to make sure you get a really
good seal with the filler. Think of bathtub caulk - same principle. Good
water tight seal. It will work if done right.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 23:22:10 -0400, Bill

wrote:

[...]

I sure didn't like the lumber I bought at Menards, but that was
several years ago when I was working on mom's house. I have no idea
what they're like now.

Incidentally, Lowes gives 5% discount at time-of-purchase if you use
their credit card--but they seemed to have raised at least some of the
prices in the store by about the same amount at the same time they
started that. Menards gives 2% rebate once a year on all purchases. I
have to give Lowes a "-1" on that account, for effectively charging it's
customers different prices. My wallet prefers Menards, but I am glad to
have the opportunity to find the best value for myself among the three
stores.

As I said, I like the HD here somewhat better than the Lowes and there
are more of them. Lowes has gone to a brand of electrical supplies
that I don't recognize so stick with HD. For most things that have
common brands or where brand really doesn't matter (plywood, wire,
etc.) they're exactly the same price. I don't have a Lowes credit
card because the *******s wouldn't give me one, despite an 840 credit
score. It's GE credit; 'nuff said. Idiots. I get my 1% back on
AmEx.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 00:51:07 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
Casper wrote in
:

[...]

From what I've read, I'll never buy any of their fluorescent light fixtures.

For light bulbs, I've been using 1000bulbs.com. Good prices.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/14/2013 11:13 AM, Casper wrote:
Is it wise to cut away part of the lower sidewall of a shed and
replace it? Basically a 6-8 inch portion of the bottom all along both
sides has gotten quite wet and started falling apart. I thought about
a horizontal cut all across, removing the damaged part, then putting
in new wood and filling the gap line with filler, then paint. I'm just
not sure that's wise with all the water it gets.
`Casper

I have see several successful repairs where they have done exactly as
you describe.

I think it depends on the part that will be left. Is the upper part in
good enough shape, that you will not be wasting your money trying to do
half the Job? If the side walls are panels and are delaminate on the
bottom they could also be about to delaminate in the upper portions. In
this case it may be more economical to replace the side walls with new
exterior outside paneling rather that try to replace the bottom.

If you decide to replace the bottom, section they make a line all around
the shed on all four sides. Then with the blade out to the depth of the
panel they cut all four sides of the shed with a power saw.

I think the key to the success of doing it this way is to seal the joint
between the new section and the old. The seal should be such that the
water coming down the side of the shed will be directed away from the
lower section, and the water will not wick between the and up into the
upper older section.
Posted to rec.woodworking
ts ts is offline

Casper wrote in
:

Menards just opened in our area, so went to look at their shed doors.

work and research. So, any advice or information is appreciated.
`Casper

Just another big box store not any better than blue or orange.
Posted to rec.woodworking

ts wrote:
Casper wrote in
:

Menards just opened in our area, so went to look at their shed doors.

work and research. So, any advice or information is appreciated.
`Casper

Just another big box store not any better than blue or orange.

At least in my locale, they carry the System Saver II water softener
pellets--and blue and orange do not. YMMV. I like the store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

At least in my locale, they carry the System Saver II water softener
pellets--and blue and orange do not. YMMV. I like the store.

it's still a medicore at best box store.
Posted to rec.woodworking

xxxx wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

At least in my locale, they carry the System Saver II water softener
pellets--and blue and orange do not. YMMV. I like the store.

it's still a medicore at best box store.

If you want to pay significantly more for mostly the same stuff at
Lowes, have fun!
Do you think the stuff is coming from different suppliers? You like
Sears better?

It's true I wouldn't go to any of the above to buy my wife a gift--it
just depends what you are looking for. What is your example of a "good"
box store?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in
:

xxxx wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

At least in my locale, they carry the System Saver II water softener
pellets--and blue and orange do not. YMMV. I like the store.

it's still a medicore at best box store.

If you want to pay significantly more for mostly the same stuff at
Lowes, have fun!
Do you think the stuff is coming from different suppliers? You like
Sears better?

It's true I wouldn't go to any of the above to buy my wife a gift--it
just depends what you are looking for. What is your example of a "good"
box store?

I go to a local hardware store and other local suppliers - hard to find but
they do exist. I don't go to any (lowes, hd, or menards) of them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:47:38 GMT, xxxx wrote:

Bill wrote in
:

xxxx wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

At least in my locale, they carry the System Saver II water softener
pellets--and blue and orange do not. YMMV. I like the store.

it's still a medicore at best box store.

If you want to pay significantly more for mostly the same stuff at
Lowes, have fun!
Do you think the stuff is coming from different suppliers? You like
Sears better?

It's true I wouldn't go to any of the above to buy my wife a gift--it
just depends what you are looking for. What is your example of a "good"
box store?

I go to a local hardware store and other local suppliers - hard to find but
they do exist. I don't go to any (lowes, hd, or menards) of them.

So, you're having fun paying more. Got it.

Menards impression my .02 notImpressed Woodworking 6 March 25th 11 11:54 PM
Menards - good? bad? just another box? me Woodworking 25 November 11th 08 07:27 PM
Menards bag sale Dean Home Repair 0 February 4th 07 04:00 PM
Menards Bag Sale 17% off AL Woodworking 5 February 20th 06 06:43 PM
Menards 20.04% off Jan 1-4 AL Woodworking 4 January 3rd 04 05:35 AM