Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Menards

On 10/14/2013 11:13 AM, Casper wrote:
Is it wise to cut away part of the lower sidewall of a shed and
replace it? Basically a 6-8 inch portion of the bottom all along both
sides has gotten quite wet and started falling apart. I thought about
a horizontal cut all across, removing the damaged part, then putting
in new wood and filling the gap line with filler, then paint. I'm just
not sure that's wise with all the water it gets.
`Casper

I have see several successful repairs where they have done exactly as
you describe.

I think it depends on the part that will be left. Is the upper part in
good enough shape, that you will not be wasting your money trying to do
half the Job? If the side walls are panels and are delaminate on the
bottom they could also be about to delaminate in the upper portions. In
this case it may be more economical to replace the side walls with new
exterior outside paneling rather that try to replace the bottom.

If you decide to replace the bottom, section they make a line all around
the shed on all four sides. Then with the blade out to the depth of the
panel they cut all four sides of the shed with a power saw.

I think the key to the success of doing it this way is to seal the joint
between the new section and the old. The seal should be such that the
water coming down the side of the shed will be directed away from the
lower section, and the water will not wick between the and up into the
upper older section.