Posted to rec.woodworking

Default removing stain from your hands

I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. Basically
they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil
on them and it will help remove the stain. something in the olive oil
is a natural solvent of r wood stains. I just thought I would pass it
on.

Robin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/10/2013 4:14 PM, Robin Ellzey wrote:
I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. Basically
they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil
on them and it will help remove the stain. something in the olive oil
is a natural solvent of r wood stains. I just thought I would pass it
on.

Robin

When I was twelve or so three of us boys were hired to wash and paint
the stairwell and hallways of a tenement apartment building. We did
every bit as efficient a job as you might expect, and some clowning
around crept into the process as well. One of my friends threw a paint
brush at me , leaving a significant amount of white oil-based paint in
my hair.

My Mom was none too pleased at that, and spent an hour or so combing it
out after applying enough olive oil so soak my hair completely.

I smelled like a salad, but it worked (slowly).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/10/2013 3:14 PM, Robin Ellzey wrote:
I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. Basically
they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil
on them and it will help remove the stain. something in the olive oil
is a natural solvent of r wood stains. I just thought I would pass it
on.

Robin

Fast Orange hand cleaner with the grit works very well too. For
stubborn stains use a little paint thinner before the Fast Orange hand
cleaner. Leaves you hands smelling like oranges.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Early season pecan picking, some with the green or semi-green hull still on, would color our fingers brown. Took 3 or so days to wear off. Never thought to use any particular product to remove the stain. I'd be tempted to test WD-40, also, touted to do wonders for removing stuff. I like to think I'm smart enough not to pick green pecans, these days, though.

Peanut butter is supposed to remove chewing gum from hair... wonder if it would remove paint, also. Greg, try H2O2 next time... let us see what happens.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 10, 2013 1:14:36 PM UTC-7, Robin Ellzey wrote:
I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. Basically

they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil

on them and it will help remove the stain. something in the olive oil

is a natural solvent of r wood stains. I just thought I would pass it

on.

Robin

Real woodworkers use a fresh sheet of 80 grit sand paper like a hand towel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Fast Orange hand cleaner with the grit works very well too. For
stubborn stains use a little paint thinner before the Fast Orange
hand cleaner. Leaves you hands smelling like oranges.

GO-JO, don't leave home without it.

Been using it for years.

Still manufactured in Akron, OH.

BTW, doesn't contain grit.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Fast Orange hand cleaner with the grit works very well too. For
stubborn stains use a little paint thinner before the Fast Orange
hand cleaner. Leaves you hands smelling like oranges.

GO-JO, don't leave home without it.

Been using it for years.

Still manufactured in Akron, OH.

BTW, doesn't contain grit.

Lew

I tried most all through the years, Goop, Go-Jo , etc. originally used
Goop in early 70s.

http://goophandcleaner.com/

Finally switched to Fast Orange 20+ years ago.

http://www.permatex.com/products/pro.../hand-cleaners

BTW Go-Jo is available with the grit/ pumice if you desire that. Having
been in the auto business, any hand cleaner with out grit/pumice, worked
marginally.

http://www.gojo.com/united-states/ma...FCED2D3FDAC%7D
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 17:20:43 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

On Friday, May 10, 2013 1:14:36 PM UTC-7, Robin Ellzey wrote:
I heard this tip on American Restorations this past week. Basically

they said that if you get wood stain on your hands, put some olive oil

on them and it will help remove the stain. something in the olive oil

is a natural solvent of r wood stains. I just thought I would pass it

on.

Robin

Real woodworkers use a fresh sheet of 80 grit sand paper like a hand towel.

Actually I use 240 grit with soap and water. It is the only thing
that works for me on printer ink and polyurethane glue. Plus it
leaves the skin smooth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

I tried most all through the years, Goop, Go-Jo , etc. originally
used
Goop in early 70s.

http://goophandcleaner.com/

Finally switched to Fast Orange 20+ years ago.

http://www.permatex.com/products/pro.../hand-cleaners

BTW Go-Jo is available with the grit/ pumice if you desire that.
Having
been in the auto business, any hand cleaner with out grit/pumice,
worked
marginally.

http://www.gojo.com/united-states/ma...FCED2D3FDAC%7D

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

When I need grit, still have a couple of bars of LAVA soap,
does that count?G?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 17:19:13 -0700, Sonny wrote:

Early season pecan picking, some with the green or semi-green hull still
on, would color our fingers brown. Took 3 or so days to wear off. Never
thought to use any particular product to remove the stain. I'd be
tempted to test WD-40, also, touted to do wonders for removing stuff. I
like to think I'm smart enough not to pick green pecans, these days,
though.

A friend's son found that Purify mouthwash would remove walnut hull stain
from his hands. But it's not being made anymore. There may or may not
be a connection between the two previous sentences :-).

carrying a cross.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 May 2013 09:29:14 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

When I need grit, still have a couple of bars of LAVA soap, does that
count?G?

Been using it since I found out it removed printer's ink. That was
almost 60 years ago. I'm sometimes amazed that such a good product
hasn't been degraded over the years. At least, I can't tell any
difference.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 May 2013 09:29:14 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

When I need grit, still have a couple of bars of LAVA soap, does that
count?G?

I bathe with Lava, ;~) That stuff never came close to do removing grease
and stain like the Fast Orange with Pumice.

Seriously the Fast Orange with the Pumice is not tough on your hands and
really really works well with minimal effort. You should try a tube
out. I buy it in the pump gallon size.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On Sat, 11 May 2013 09:29:14 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

When I need grit, still have a couple of bars of LAVA soap, does that
count?G?

I bathe with Lava, ;~) That stuff never came close to do removing grease
and stain like the Fast Orange with Pumice.

Seriously the Fast Orange with the Pumice is not tough on your hands and
really really works well with minimal effort. You should try a tube out.
I buy it in the pump gallon size.

A gallon of Fast Orange with the Pumice sits in my shop for the nasty clean
up jobs too... it works well. I've also used it to clean my Arkansas stones
that were loaded up. It works well as the stones cut better afterward.

Gasoline, mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, acetone, carbon tetrachloride
and lacquer thinner had been put into play at times over the years... none
of which was a good idea... but who knew... the awareness level was low and
clean hands seemed more important to some. I recall some teachers in
particular whom felt that clean hands were critical and no excuses were
acceptable... I believe they are all dead. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Seriously the Fast Orange with the Pumice is not tough on your hands
and really really works well with minimal effort. You should try a
tube out. I buy it in the pump gallon size.

I'll have to check it out.

Lew

Removing stain from oak John Martin Woodworking 6 February 16th 09 08:47 PM
Removing stain desgnr Home Repair 1 May 20th 08 03:21 PM
Removing Stale Gas Odor from Hands [email protected] Home Repair 10 April 20th 07 07:30 AM
removing bleach stain from oak [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 2nd 06 07:16 AM
Removing a stain cakbusservices Home Repair 1 April 18th 06 08:30 PM