Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SawStop is here!

The latest.

Bringing'r in
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

Unpacking
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Unwrapped
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

For you patent buffs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Setting in the hydraulic mobile base
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

The other stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

A lot of cast iron inside there
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

The gears, notice the curved surface of the tilt rack to fit with the
worm gear
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Inside the left side of the saw door opening, lots more iron.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

A reference for just how big those gears are. The worm gear is
approximately 1-1/2" in diameter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

I got the industrial model and it weighs in at about 685 lbs with the 52
inch fence. Add 25lbs or so for the mobile base.

The mobile base is sweeeeeet. 3 pumps on the right front pedal and the
saw is lifted up and all weight is transferred to the 4 corner wheels.
tap the "lower" lever and the saw floats to rest on the floor releasing
all weight from the wheels. This saw being about 200lbs heavier than my
old Jet cabinet saw is much easier to move than the Jet 3 wheel mobile
base and I thought that base was great. The new saw will almost roll
out of the garage on its own when lifted up on the wheels.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Wow this thing is really
well built with great attention to details. No sharp edges found yet.

Ill keep you posted as the saw and out feed comes together.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:01:50 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Pppffftt! You wasted your money. You ain't got enough lumber, back there, to do any decent sawing with.

*With the previous delays/miscues, incurred, did it come with a blade?

It all looks pretty darn sharp. Congrats, big time.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 3:24 PM, Sonny wrote:

You ain't got enough lumber, back there, to do any decent sawing with.

Those saws are for hot dogs, aren't they?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 1:16 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
There's nothing like welcoming a new baby into the house. Congratulations!

Larry

No kidding, Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 2:24 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:01:50 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Pppffftt! You wasted your money. You ain't got enough lumber, back there, to do any decent sawing with.

*With the previous delays/miscues, incurred, did it come with a blade?

It all looks pretty darn sharp. Congrats, big time.

Sonny

LOL that was left over from the desk and airplane projects. The wall
above that is totally filled with lumber. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 2:27 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/25/2013 3:24 PM, Sonny wrote:

You ain't got enough lumber, back there, to do any decent sawing with.

Those saws are for hot dogs, aren't they?

Yeah! I gotta stock up on weeners.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:35:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

Those saws are for hot dogs, aren't they?

Yeah! I gotta stock up on weeners.

Speaking of various types of butchery, have you ever cut (or been
tempted) to cut frozen meat of some type on your Laguna bandsaw? Is
there such a thing as a butchers blade for a home bandsaw?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:01:50 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Bringing'r in
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

What did the shipping guys say about the excited home owner snapping
pictures of them?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 3:35 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/25/2013 2:27 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/25/2013 3:24 PM, Sonny wrote:

You ain't got enough lumber, back there, to do any decent sawing with.

Those saws are for hot dogs, aren't they?

Yeah! I gotta stock up on weeners.

and a cartridge for each, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 1:58:33 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:35:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

Those saws are for hot dogs, aren't they?

Yeah! I gotta stock up on weeners.

Speaking of various types of butchery, have you ever cut (or been

tempted) to cut frozen meat of some type on your Laguna bandsaw? Is

there such a thing as a butchers blade for a home bandsaw?

Considering the lasting damage caused by my Jet 18" BS when I had a momentary laps and reached into a standard 3/4" blade, I don't think you need anything special to cut meat and bone efficiently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
The latest.

Congrats but there is some down side to your purchase.
1.Some assembly required.
2.Now you have to go back to work

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:21:47 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
Speaking of various types of butchery, have you ever cut (or been
tempted) to cut frozen meat of some type on your Laguna bandsaw? Is
there such a thing as a butchers blade for a home bandsaw?

Considering the lasting damage caused by my Jet 18" BS when I had a
momentary laps and reached into a standard 3/4" blade, I don't think
you need anything special to cut meat and bone efficiently.

I have read about special blades for meat cutting. However, I don't
know what kind of difference one would make compared to a woodworking
blade.

I was also wondering if it was inadvisable to chance blood and gore
(initally frozen" spread around the insides of a woodworking bandsaw?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 1:01 PM, Leon wrote:
The latest.

Bringing'r in
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

Unpacking
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Unwrapped
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

For you patent buffs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Setting in the hydraulic mobile base
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

The other stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

A lot of cast iron inside there
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

The gears, notice the curved surface of the tilt rack to fit with the
worm gear
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

That's normal actually.

[...]

She looks beautiful. Enjoy..
--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:58:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Speaking of various types of butchery, have you ever cut (or been

tempted) to cut frozen meat of some type on your Laguna bandsaw?

Leon would no doubt wait for his meat to thaw, and cut it normally. To warrant butchering with one's woodworking tool, one would need to be butchering volumes, not something just for dinner.

Is there such a thing as a butchers blade for a home bandsaw?

My brother had a grocery store with a fairly large butcher service. That bandsaw casing/framework was made of aluminum, daily washed/cleaned with a disinfectant or clorox, etc. I don't know what the other working parts were made of, something more substantial than aluminum, no doubt.

I never looked closely at the blade, but once asked the butcher about it. It was specific for bone cutting, more so than for cutting the meat, itself.. I would assume the blade was specific only for the meat specific saw.

Additionally:
Bone is a calcium crystaline form, the same as coral (i.e., coral reef). As a matter of fact, some bone implants are made from coral. Soft tissue and newly forming bone tissue grows around, grows into and attaches to coral the same way as it does around existing bone, in the repairing body. A piece of implanted coral does not grow. The body lays down new bone/new calcium around it, as it lays down new bone/new calcium around a fractured bone.

I don't recall which ones, but some specific lumbers (from specific areas?) have crystaline forms that collect in the wood, as it grows. Seems I read, milling and/or sawing these lumbers, with wood cutting tools, requires more frequent sharpening of blades, compared to normal lumber.

I think it's yucca trees/plants, or some specie of the aloes, that produce crystaline forms in them, as they grow. Native folk, of those areas, use the stalks for stropping their tools. It's reasonable to think cutting bone with a wood cutting blade would dull the blade faster than normal.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I can only offer you the standard level of contempt regarding the purchase of a new toy: I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you,I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you,I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you,I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you,

Enjoy it!!! Any tool hitting my garage turns me into a 10 year old on Christmas morning.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:58:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Is there such a thing as a butchers blade for a home bandsaw?

My brother had a grocery store with a fairly large butcher service. That
bandsaw casing/framework was made of aluminum, daily washed/cleaned with a
disinfectant or clorox, etc. I don't know what the other working parts
were made of, something more substantial than aluminum, no doubt.

I never looked closely at the blade, but once asked the butcher about it.
It was specific for bone cutting, more so than for cutting the meat,
itself. I would assume the blade was specific only for the meat specific
saw.

I recall a discussion I had with a professional butcher about 30 years ago
while he was cutting up a deer for me. Regarding saws in butchering, they
are intended for cutting bone only. I watched as he carefully cut the meat
down to the bone with a knife and then cut the bone only on the bandsaw. He
had a less than flattering term for guys butchering deer for money who cut
up the meat and bone with a bandsaw... After having a venison dinner at a
friend's home one time, where the meat was clearly sawn with bits of bone
"dust" through out, I understood his position on the matter. It was
nasty...!

I butcher my deer own now and bone it as the meat is removed from the
hanging carcass. This saves freezer space and there is no need for sawing
anything. I do, however, chop the skeleton off at the end of the rib cage
with a hatchet once the meat is removed... this so it fits in the trash can.

A SawStop, by design, would be useless for this application.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
[...]

Setting a new machine up is half the fun. Hope you get many hours and
years of enjoyment in using it.

--
 GW Ross

 Junk mail arrives the day it was
 sent. Sometimes the day before.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A SawStop, by design, would be useless for this application.

John

No kidding, I understand that SawStop is working on producing a band saw
that will stop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 4:08 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:01:50 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Bringing'r in
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...in/photostream

What did the shipping guys say about the excited home owner snapping
pictures of them?

They were the manager and asst manager, we have know each other since
the store opened. Not a problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 4:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:
"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
The latest.

Congrats but there is some down side to your purchase.
1.Some assembly required.
2.Now you have to go back to work

The out feed roller extension was a task although all went smoothly.
It's the hoping you are drilling into cabinet in the right spot 6 times
that kinda gets to you. I have installed the same set up before on a
Jet cabinet saw some 13 years ago so I knew what to be where and aligned
with what. It was actually easier this time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 7:17 PM, RonB wrote:
[...]

I hate you too. LOL

Enjoy it!!! Any tool hitting my garage turns me into a 10 year old on Christmas morning.

This one is especially nice, I have been a proponent for this saw since
1999, before it was produced. My wife actually suggested trading up.
Nuf'said.
I had that possum eating poop grin most of the afternoon!

Thank you Ron!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 8:01 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Well it is fun but crawling around on the floor is starting to get old. ;~)
Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote
The out feed roller extension was a task although all went smoothly.
It's the hoping you are drilling into cabinet in the right spot 6 times
that kinda gets to you. I have installed the same set up before on a
Jet cabinet saw some 13 years ago so I knew what to be where and aligned
with what. It was actually easier this time.

You remember how to do this from 13 years ago??

Obviously a youngster.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I trust this will cure the table saw deficiency syndrome.

Looks like a quality tool. packed well, etc.

How much trouble is it to align the top of the rollers to the table saw top?
Any adjustability with the rollers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 9:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote
The out feed roller extension was a task although all went smoothly.
It's the hoping you are drilling into cabinet in the right spot 6
times that kinda gets to you. I have installed the same set up before
on a Jet cabinet saw some 13 years ago so I knew what to be where and
aligned with what. It was actually easier this time.

You remember how to do this from 13 years ago??

I can!

Obviously a youngster.

LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 9:03 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I trust this will cure the table saw deficiency syndrome.

Already feeling more manly! LOL

Looks like a quality tool. packed well, etc.

I think I would compare the build quality to my Laguna BS, perhaps better.

How much trouble is it to align the top of the rollers to the table saw
top? Any adjustability with the rollers?

Not a whole lot of trouble, sorta. The rollers don't spin perfectly so
there are high and low spots when they spin. We are only talking about
1/32" so it really is no big deal. The object is that the rollers
simply be close to being the same height as the table, better a bit low
than higher. After all, this thing is only there to keep the work from
tipping off the back end of the table top. This one and my old one
have a cam adjustment that lowers the front rollers 3/8" of an inch so
that when you cross cut the miter gauge bar will not hit the rollers. I
often used the out feed with the rollers in that lower position when
ripping, I forgot to raise them back up, and had no problems.

Now having said that the top bracket has 4 bolt holes that are elongated
so that while setting up you move the roller up and down. You lay a
strait edge on the table top on both sides to over hand the first
column of rollers. When the roller is close to the bottom of the
straight edges on both sides you tighten the 4 bolts. Then you drill
and bolt the bottom bracket.

Then the folding center support arm can be adjusted to bring the back
rollers up or down, basically to have the out feed plane to be parallel
to the TS top plane.

With my old set up on my other saw I do not recall ever making another
adjustment after the initial adjustment. I am sure that there was some
settling over the past 13 years but I never felt the need to readjust.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/25/2013 11:21 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

One other thing, the instructions really really suck. They have changed
the design so that the bottom bracket can be adjusted up and down to
miss hitting a dust port. They simply modified the original set of
directions and left parts out. You really want to read the instructions
a couple of times to be familiar with what you are trying to do. You
build stuff, you can figure it out. There are simply a few steps that
leave you wondering and a few parts that have different names than the
list of parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:56:28 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

Leon would no doubt wait for his meat to thaw, and cut it normally.
To warrant butchering with one's woodworking tool, one would
need to be butchering volumes, not something just for dinner.

I can think of several situations where someone would have frozen food
and just want part of it. Many foods come already frozen, such as
pizza for example. Cut and cook just half of it for a meal. Or,
perhaps buying an amount of meat when it was on sale and freezing it.
Then cutting off a steak sized slice to thaw for consumption?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 23:01:57 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/25/2013 9:00 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote
The out feed roller extension was a task although all went smoothly.
It's the hoping you are drilling into cabinet in the right spot 6
times that kinda gets to you. I have installed the same set up before
on a Jet cabinet saw some 13 years ago so I knew what to be where and
aligned with what. It was actually easier this time.

You remember how to do this from 13 years ago??

I can!

Obviously a youngster.

LOL

I can remember things from 50 years ago. Just don't ask me what I had
for lunch yesterday.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Apr 2013 07:34:34 GMT, Puckdropper
My solution is simply to cook the whole thing and then refrigerate the
excess. There's always a need to eat tomorrow.

What???? You're kidding right? You like that kind of food? You've
never frozen meat for future use? Never bought meat in any size bigger
than a few pounds? And, meat that is cooked and then refrigerated
doesn't come close to having the same taste as something just freshly
cooked.

What kind of palate do you have?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/26/2013 12:26 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/25/2013 11:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/25/2013 9:03 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I trust this will cure the table saw deficiency syndrome.

Already feeling more manly! LOL

Looks like a quality tool. packed well, etc.

I think I would compare the build quality to my Laguna BS, perhaps
better.

Leon, Sounds like you are doing great so far!

I wanted to share this short story, which proves you don't have to use
power tools to bruise yourself.

Yesterday, I was existing a computer lab--actually sort of in a hurry to
get to my next destination, with some paper in my left hand, pulling
the door behind me with my right. When, I closed my finger in the door.
Ouch! It's still is a little sore, but it's fine. But here is the part
I wanted to mention...wait for it...

....the whole accident could have been avoided if there had been a
Door-Stop! : )

Good luck to you as you fine tune your new saw!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 07:50:54 -0400, Bill
Ouch! It's still is a little sore, but it's fine. But here is the part
I wanted to mention...wait for it...

...the whole accident could have been avoided if there had been a
Door-Stop! : )

You should sue all the door manufacturers. They were all negligent in
not taking the user's safety into account.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 26, 2013 1:00:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I can think of several situations where someone would have frozen food and just want part of it. Many foods come already frozen, such as pizza for example. Cut and cook just half of it for a meal.

You don't use a bandsaw to cut frozen pizza. You use your broad ax.

Or, perhaps buying an amount of meat when it was on sale and freezing it. Then cutting off a steak sized slice to thaw for consumption?

Consider dividing and packaging the selected portions before freezing it. Much easier and more convenient, than wrestling with a frozen quarter/half beef, hog or whatever. Don't forget to mark the individual packages, to identify what's within.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
Consider dividing and packaging the selected portions before freezing it.
Much easier and more convenient, than wrestling with a frozen quarter
/half beef, hog or whatever. Don't forget to mark the individual packages,
to identify what's within.

Everybody offering solutions is missing the point. If you've got a
freezer in your refrigerator, then occasionally, there's going to be
some food that it would be nice to cut from.

I'm not going to cut up a prime rib roast into steaks before I freeze
it because I might want a roast easily available for a family dinner.
I don't plan too many meals a week or more in advance, so how am to
know if something should be cut up before it's frozen or not? And no,
my freezer isn't big enough to keep very many different cuts of frozen
meat on hand.

The question bordered on the hypothetical anyway, so I guess it's moot
at this point. Very few people are going to run meat, frozen or not
through their bandsaw.

O/T: SawStop Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 77 February 1st 12 05:40 PM
Sawstop John UK diy 1 May 26th 10 01:20 PM
Sawstop Wilson Woodworking 7 November 26th 06 12:48 PM
SawStop tzipple Woodworking 110 February 5th 05 12:01 AM
SawStop? Darin Woodworking 104 December 18th 04 01:14 AM