Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default SawStop is here!

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:58:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Speaking of various types of butchery, have you ever cut (or been

tempted) to cut frozen meat of some type on your Laguna bandsaw?

Leon would no doubt wait for his meat to thaw, and cut it normally. To warrant butchering with one's woodworking tool, one would need to be butchering volumes, not something just for dinner.

Is there such a thing as a butchers blade for a home bandsaw?

My brother had a grocery store with a fairly large butcher service. That bandsaw casing/framework was made of aluminum, daily washed/cleaned with a disinfectant or clorox, etc. I don't know what the other working parts were made of, something more substantial than aluminum, no doubt.

I never looked closely at the blade, but once asked the butcher about it. It was specific for bone cutting, more so than for cutting the meat, itself.. I would assume the blade was specific only for the meat specific saw.

Additionally:
Bone is a calcium crystaline form, the same as coral (i.e., coral reef). As a matter of fact, some bone implants are made from coral. Soft tissue and newly forming bone tissue grows around, grows into and attaches to coral the same way as it does around existing bone, in the repairing body. A piece of implanted coral does not grow. The body lays down new bone/new calcium around it, as it lays down new bone/new calcium around a fractured bone.

I don't recall which ones, but some specific lumbers (from specific areas?) have crystaline forms that collect in the wood, as it grows. Seems I read, milling and/or sawing these lumbers, with wood cutting tools, requires more frequent sharpening of blades, compared to normal lumber.

I think it's yucca trees/plants, or some specie of the aloes, that produce crystaline forms in them, as they grow. Native folk, of those areas, use the stalks for stropping their tools. It's reasonable to think cutting bone with a wood cutting blade would dull the blade faster than normal.

Sonny