Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT -- Windows 8

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:01:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I saw one on sale for $180 so I figured I try in on a trip. That
little machine had been to four countries, a dozen states and will go
to a dozen more in May. Sometimes it sits on my belly when I'm in the
recliner in front of the TV.

So, does all this realized "Like" make you want to buy one more
powerful or perhaps a little bit more tricked out?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:31:07 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:01:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I saw one on sale for $180 so I figured I try in on a trip. That
little machine had been to four countries, a dozen states and will go
to a dozen more in May. Sometimes it sits on my belly when I'm in the
recliner in front of the TV.

So, does all this realized "Like" make you want to buy one more
powerful or perhaps a little bit more tricked out?

I did upgrade the RAM from 1G to 2G. Otherwise, it works well enough.
There is no CD drive but I've not really missed it. I still use the
desktop for most stuff requiring serious typing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/10/2013 10:47 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Richard wrote in
m:

My question has always been - why just one product for all markets?
Microsoft is big enough to support more than one, IMHO.

Why foist a touch screen GUI off on desktops?

Microsoft asked that question and came up with an answer: They'll turn
on features for different OS levels and turn off other, less relavent
features at others. (Most system admins don't want to see Solitaire and
Freecell installed by default on a server.)

That's why there's Home, Pro, Enterprise and all those other editions.

I believe the real reason is they want different pricing tiers.

Why not have two shells? Most people won't understand why their tablet
displays one thing while their desktop displays another. Education is
expensive, and will probably be deemed not worth it.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/11/2013 6:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 02:31:07 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:01:35 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I saw one on sale for $180 so I figured I try in on a trip. That
little machine had been to four countries, a dozen states and will go
to a dozen more in May. Sometimes it sits on my belly when I'm in the
recliner in front of the TV.

So, does all this realized "Like" make you want to buy one more
powerful or perhaps a little bit more tricked out?

I did upgrade the RAM from 1G to 2G. Otherwise, it works well enough.
There is no CD drive but I've not really missed it. I still use the
desktop for most stuff requiring serious typing.

Same here - MOL. Bought the MSI netbook with a decent HD and RAM and
it's served its purpose quite well for travel, etc. With Wi-Fi and BT
built in, quite handy to tether to my old Smart Phone or use now with
the built-in hot spot with my current Galaxy SIII. I can surf the
internet, gather mail or work just about anywhere.

The lack of CD-Rom drive never a problem, just log on to the network at
the home or office via Wi-Fi or wire. If those weren't available, then
it was "sneaker net" using a thumb drive.

Of course, that's old technology lo these many three years laterg and
I find myself almost as capable as a road warrior carrying a 10 tablet
with me with much less weight and way more battery time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 4:34 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Which is one of the primary reasons I run Linux (PCLinuxOS to be exact).
The other reason is the simple fact that it is totally free AND I can check
ou the OS before I install it.

Which brings to mind an old classic:

"What if Operating Systems were Airlines ?"

Unix Airlines

Each passenger brings a piece of the airplane and a box of tools to the
airport. They gather on the tarmac, arguing constantly about what kind
of plane they want to build and how to put it together. Eventually, they
build several different aircraft, but give them all the same name. Some
passengers actually reach their destinations. All passengers believe
they got there.

or

Linux Airlines

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their
own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the
runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of
printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket
yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a
wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully
adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on
time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try
to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all
they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

or

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colorful, with friendly stewards, easy
baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10
minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air/Windows XP/Windows/7

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and
takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, stewardesses, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket
agents look the same, act the same, and talk the same. Every time you
ask questions about details, you are told you don't need to know, don't
want to know, and would you please return to your seat and watch the movie.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/9/2013 8:44 AM, Swingman wrote:

But, lets look forward to the future big picture, particularly in the
context of historical human behavior/interaction with "content"
presented by advances in technology (the quill pen, paper, the Gutenburg
press, computers, et al).

Until the last 30 years, most of human reading and writing as been done
on a horizontal surface, with a book or paper on a desk top.

It has only been in the last 50 years that the switch to a predominant
vertical display has been present in human interaction with
technological advances in the display of content ... basically since the
advent of the computer, movie screens, etc.

There is no doubt that the vertical display (computer monitor) excels in
the area of "presentation" of content, but not necessarily in the world
of "design" and other similar workplace tasks, particularly with regard
to "collaboration"in those areas.

Fast forward to the current cutting edge of technology where there have
been many studies relating to the benefits of horizontal displays
(displays built into the desktop itself), particularly in enterprise
situations where collaboration is most often a necessity.

Now, take a look again at Win8 and tell me where MSFT is betting the
future of computing is headed (the traditional PC, as we have known it
for 30 years, is fading fast, witness declining sales and prices),
particularly with regard to a more traditional human form of computer
interaction.

Enter tablets, mobile devices, and _horizontal displays in the
workplace environment_.

IOW, it all depends on how you look at it. LOL

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ahci/2012/137686/

What's ironic is that the one's screaming the loudest about the Win8
glimpse of the future, the Enterprise (their IT departments, mostly),
will most likely be the biggest beneficiaries over time.

Human's just don't like their damn cheese being moved ... G

Why Win8?

Here's one reason why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=sugmA-pll4k#!

Go to 5:30 for a glimpse of what MSFT is preparing for.

Reminds of when the dude whispered "plastics" in Dustin Hoffman's ear
.... can you spell Graphene?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...e-8539743.html

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/22/2013 1:11 PM, Swingman wrote:

Here's one reason why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=sugmA-pll4k#!

Go to 5:30 for a glimpse of what MSFT is preparing for.

Reminds of when the dude whispered "plastics" in Dustin Hoffman's ear
... can you spell Graphene?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...e-8539743.html

Bind the stuff edge-on to a steel blade. That would take Scary Sharp to
a whole new level.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:11:14 -0500, Swingman wrote:

... can you spell Graphene?

Su grafeen