Walter R.

Default Termopane windows or double windows?

I have a large single-pane window in my den (side-by-side slider) that
transmits road noise.

I thought of replacing it with a new dual pane (thermopane) window to reduce
noise transmission.This means ripping out the old window & frame.

Another route to go is to place a duplicate inside window on the inside sill
of the existing window, like an interior storm window.

This site claims that a double-window is superior in suppressing noise than
a single thermopane window. http://www.soundproofwindows.com/comparison.html

Is this only salesmanship? Any opinions?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Joseph Meehan

Walter R. wrote:
I have a large single-pane window in my den (side-by-side slider) that
transmits road noise.

I thought of replacing it with a new dual pane (thermopane) window to
reduce noise transmission.This means ripping out the old window &
frame.
Another route to go is to place a duplicate inside window on the
inside sill of the existing window, like an interior storm window.

This site claims that a double-window is superior in suppressing
noise than a single thermopane window.

Yes, but it is less effective at keeping you cool in the summer and warm
in the winter. Of course just about anything will be better than most
sliders.

http://www.soundproofwindows.com/comparison.html
Is this only salesmanship? Any opinions?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit