Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Raffling off a project for a cause

My brother in law and closest friend (fellow woodworker) suffered a massive brain bleed back in September. Anyway he is currently in a skilled nursing facility and will probably be coming home in June. This will be tough on his wife financially as there are a lot of things that need to be done to accommodate his needs. Plus, he was the primary bread winner, and he is only 55 so she could be looking a a LOT of years of care.

So, I was thinking; what if I made something and either raffled it or auctioned it off to help raise funds for her? I was looking around online but not really finding what I need. Also, how would people know I was legit? Has anybody done this sort of thing with something they have made? Any suggestions?

I could use the web site I made her (http://www.careformel.org) to advertise it, but they don't really have a huge number of people visiting it.

Thanks,
-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim,

Sorry to hear about your BIL's condition. A number of our woodworkers
have contributed items to charities and non-profits to raise cash for
that organization. Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact a
non-profit that might fit in with your BIL's condition and see if THEY
would hold the auction.

Another thing would be to use ETSY.Com where people sell all sorts of
handmade items.

And finally, I don't know what your expecting to get for your piece,
but given what expenses might have to made with your BIL's care, and
his family's needs, unless you're an exquisite woodworker, you might
find that the public might not value that item as much as you'd hope.
I would try to use the non-profit route. They have the mailing lists,
publicity contacts, etc. that would spread the news of the auction
widely.

Best of luck.

MJ.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2013 6:03 PM, jtpr wrote:
[...]

If you know some folks online and particularly in social networking
sites, you might want to consider doing this for them:

http://www.giveforward.com

A family friend set up a medical fund at that site for my youngest
daughter, 27, and has raised $4k+ in the space of a couple of weeks to
help her pay for experimental drugs to treat a rare, disfiguring disease
that the insurance company will not pay.

She is pretty much overwhelmed with the support she has received from
that quarter, and it has proven to be a godsend for both her morale, and
well as helping pay her bills.

I think they take a 10% fee, but the donor can also pay that if they wish.

If you want to leave no stone unturned for your BIL, give it a shot, and
then let _everyone_ know about it. There's a lot of generous folks out
there ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:54:52 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 2/27/2013 6:03 PM, jtpr wrote:

[...]

Actually I did do that just the other day (http://www.giveforward.com/careformel).

But now I'm not sure where to go with it. I mean we let people know in his original circle when I set up the website and most either gave something or helped out in some other way. But none of these are wealthy people and I feel odd using this Giveforward site to solicit more. So I heard about regarding another cause and looked it up and created the page, then kind of hit a wall as to how to get it out there. Maybe I could use it as sort of a second phase, his coming home. I guess where I'm going is trying to reach out beyond the people in his immediate world. I just don't want to see him in nursing home the rest of his life, the cost of which would probably cause his wife to lose the house. Better he come home and she can care for him with some help. Damn guy is 6'5" and hard to move around;+}
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

jtpr wrote in
:

.

[...]

Put it on FB ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 2/27/2013 6:03 PM, jtpr wrote:
[...]

I don't mind giving for causes like this. What is your giveforward site,
Karl?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/27/2013 8:54 PM, Han wrote:

I don't mind giving for causes like this. What is your giveforward site,
Karl?

Actually, I found out about it after the fact, Han. It was setup without
my input, or her knowledge, by a family friend, strictly for her
benefit. She's very independent and had a problem with accepting it at
first, but the reality of her bills piling up so fast has tempered that
reluctance. Just so you know, this young lady has lived with this since
birth (with a wise and kind inner strength beyond her years), had to
recently undergo surgery to save her eyesight and, despite being dealt a
'tough row to hoe' in life for young woman (it took fifteen years of
research and a team of doctors to diagnose and decide upon a treatment,
which may or may not work), has never failed a self imposed obligation
to help those even less fortunate by volunteering, since her early teens
to help children with disabilities at MD Anderson here in Houston. She
is driven to do this for those kids, and who better than someone who can
empathize with persona experience? AAMOF, while currently undergoing
this experimental treatment, which is so debilitating that many who
embark upon on it stay in bed for the entire year of its course, or
quit, she has the fortitude to both continue to work, as well as to be
back in school working on an Education Certificate to better teach kids
with disabilities ... if anyone is worthy ... nuff said.

So, since you asked:

http://www.giveforward.com/michellec... b_ref=690176

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 2/27/2013 8:54 PM, Han wrote:

[...]

http://www.giveforward.com/michellec...tm_source=face
book&utm_medium=fb_wall&utm_campaign=hug&og_action =hug&fb_ref=690176

I had tried searching on your last name at the main site, without seeing
a result. Hence my question.

The costs of these treatments (even for a long-known and long-used
compound such as interferon) is beyond what regular people can sustain.
I hope my little contribution will help.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/28/2013 10:37 AM, Han wrote:

I had tried searching on your last name at the main site, without seeing
a result. Hence my question.

I noticed that myself ... it's kinda out of my hands, but I did mention
it to Linda to bring it up to the friend who is administering the site.
(I'm not real comfortable with the concept myself, but it is neither my
call, nor my decision)

The costs of these treatments (even for a long-known and long-used
compound such as interferon) is beyond what regular people can sustain.
I hope my little contribution will help.

I'll pass that on, and hereby Thank You for her, Han. It's like grains
of sand ... combined, they can make a beach.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2013-02-28 12:37 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

On 2/27/2013 8:54 PM, Han wrote:

[...]

The costs of these (even for a long-known and long-used
compound such as interferon) is beyond what regular people can sustain.
I hope my little contribution will help.

+1

another grain of sand

brian

--
Brian Hoyt
Stillwater Lake, Nova Scotia

Next project? Frank[_9_] Woodworking 1 April 4th 08 05:25 PM
New project Robatoy Woodworking 25 April 10th 07 12:40 AM
OT New project Robatoy Woodworking 16 April 9th 07 05:09 PM
Help with my first project [email protected] Woodworking 2 July 7th 06 07:33 PM
What think ye? (project) Enoch Root Woodworking 3 December 21st 05 07:28 AM