Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Help with my first project

Hi,

I built this small frame-and-panel door to cover the access to the
plumbing of my bathroom:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/door.jpg

I have a couple of questions about the frame:
1. What is the best way of attaching it the wall? I used brad nails
(the ones with tiny hats that with small indentations for punching in).

Would using a nail gun have been appropriate and easier?

2. Should I have connected the three pieces of the frame together
before attaching the frame to the wall? I didn't. I felt that the sheer

from nailing the individual pieces to the wall would have broken the
connections b/w the pieces. As a result, the lines of contact b/w the
pieces came out quite sloppy.

If I should have put the frame together before attaching it to the wall

what is the proper way of doing it? Several ideas come to my mind:
little joiners on the back, brackets, nails.

Very many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7 Jul 2006 10:42:20 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

I built this small frame-and-panel door to cover the access to the
plumbing of my bathroom:

http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/door.jpg

I have a couple of questions about the frame:
1. What is the best way of attaching it the wall? I used brad nails
(the ones with tiny hats that with small indentations for punching in).

Would using a nail gun have been appropriate and easier?

Finishing nails, probably about 2" long. Pre-drilled holes will
prevent splitting the wood. I doubt that a nail gun is better.

2. Should I have connected the three pieces of the frame together
before attaching the frame to the wall? I didn't. I felt that the sheer

from nailing the individual pieces to the wall would have broken the
connections b/w the pieces. As a result, the lines of contact b/w the
pieces came out quite sloppy.

Generally it is better to construct the entire frame, then attach it
to the wall. Plain butt miters are a bit weak, but these can be
reinforced with some kind of joinery.

If I should have put the frame together before attaching it to the wall

what is the proper way of doing it? Several ideas come to my mind:
little joiners on the back, brackets, nails.

Very many thanks in advance!

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The frame and door should be assembled as a working unit first. Then attach
the frame to the wall with 6d - 8d finish nails. Pre-drill holes first.

Dave

The Boy Mechanic axolotl Metalworking 23 November 27th 05 09:34 AM
Cursed Project... FunkySpaceCowboy Woodworking 9 October 10th 05 04:01 PM
WANTED: 50hp Phase Converters - - - Tax Deductible - - EAGLE SCOUT Gov't Service Project [email protected] Metalworking 23 January 3rd 05 07:57 AM
Update on water main project shinypenny Home Ownership 1 January 4th 04 03:14 PM