Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Default The Boy Mechanic

Project Gutenberg now has The Boy Mechanic on line.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12655/12655-pdf.pdf

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob

Yikes, it's a 17 MB download, all in one piece!

Saved for a day when I don't feel like doing anything with my computer
for a while!

Regards,

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

axolotl wrote:

Project Gutenberg now has The Boy Mechanic on line.

Very nice! Thank you.
Will have to browse the rest of the URL

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On 20 Nov 2005 19:18:53 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Bob"
quickly quoth:

Yikes, it's a 17 MB download, all in one piece!

Saved for a day when I don't feel like doing anything with my computer
for a while!

I always do my Usenetting while downloading. Agent doesn't take much
memory or CPU cycles so it's perfect. Try it sometime.

--
Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven.
Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

For some reason the original post did not come to me.
Would someone repost at least the link?

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Bob wrote:
Yikes, it's a 17 MB download, all in one piece!

Saved for a day when I don't feel like doing anything with my computer
for a while!

Regards,

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I was able - just at 6 minutes. Not really ripping - Modem is locked on 100M but
there is a link somewhere - likely limited at Gutenberg or between.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Bob wrote:

Yikes, it's a 17 MB download, all in one piece!

Saved for a day when I don't feel like doing anything with my

computer

for a while!

Regards,

Bob

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12655/12655-pdf.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotl

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
I was able - just at 6 minutes. Not really ripping -

I have found that there are advantages to having your son set up the
(his too) DSL line

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Ron Thompson wrote:

If anyone would like this on a CD, I'll burn it and mail it to you
(anywhere in the world) for $5.00. I take Paypal.

Before selling the work of others, you should read the terms of "Project
Gutenberg".

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Richard wrote:

OR read the first part of the file, permission is granted.

.... for redistribution without charge. Yes.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

wrote:

just the download and duplication service. That is the work of him and his
computer.

Would someone buy an empty CD (or one with binary noise on it) for $5?
No. The value of the CD is from the work of others. It's just stealing
of and ****ing at the _free_ work of others.

Shame! EOD

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Thompson

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:25:31 +0100, (Nick Müller)
wrote:

Ron Thompson wrote:

If anyone would like this on a CD, I'll burn it and mail it to you
(anywhere in the world) for $5.00. I take Paypal.

Before selling the work of others, you should read the terms of "Project
Gutenberg".

OR read the first part of the file, permission is granted.

If it were not public domain material, I wouldn't have made the offer.
This is from the first page of the file:

Project Gutenberg's The Boy Mechanic: Volume 1, by Popular Mechanics
This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at
www.gutenberg.net
Title: The Boy Mechanic: Volume 1
700 Things For Boys To Do
Author: Popular Mechanics
Release Date: June 18, 2004 [EBook #12655]
Language: English
Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1
*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK THE BOY MECHANIC: VOLUME 1 ***
Produced by Don Kostuch

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Ron Thompson wrote:

If it were not public domain material, I wouldn't have made the offer.
This is from the first page of the file:

Do yourself and the contributors to Project Gutenberg the favour to read
this:
http://www.gutenberg.org/license

Especialy: "If you charge money for the copies you distribute, you have
to pay royalties to Project Gutenberg."

Before you continue to spread huge piles of ****!

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:50:20 +0100, (Nick Müller)
wrote:

Ron Thompson wrote:

If it were not public domain material, I wouldn't have made the offer.
This is from the first page of the file:

Do yourself and the contributors to Project Gutenberg the favour to read
this:
http://www.gutenberg.org/license

Especialy: "If you charge money for the copies you distribute, you have
to pay royalties to Project Gutenberg."

Before you continue to spread huge piles of ****!

Recovery of cost is NOT any violation of their license agreement.

Time involved and depreciation of the equipment used are legitimate
costs. (And the $5 charge would be considered very reasonable for the
service.) Charging for the costs is in no way selling the product. He
would be charging for a service, not a product.

As per: those that transcribe from records to CD and charge for it,
they're selling a service, not a product. It's pretty common,
profitable, AND LEGAL.

Rich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Richard wrote:

Recovery of cost is NOT any violation of their license agreement.

There is no service you can charge for:
"If you charge money for the copies you distribute, you have
to pay royalties to Project Gutenberg."

Hopefully you can read and understand this single sentence.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Gentry

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:03:03 +0100, (Nick Müller)
wrote:

Richard wrote:

Recovery of cost is NOT any violation of their license agreement.

There is no service you can charge for:
"If you charge money for the copies you distribute, you have
to pay royalties to Project Gutenberg."

Hopefully you can read and understand this single sentence.

Nick

Here is what the License (Included at the end of the PDF file) says:

Quote:

THE FULL PROJECT GUTENBERG LICENSE
PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU DISTRIBUTE OR USE THIS WORK

snip and move to section 1.E.7

1.E.7. Do not charge a fee for access to, viewing, displaying,
performing, copying or distributing any Project Gutenberg-tm works
unless you comply with paragraph 1.E.8 or 1.E.9.
1.E.8. You may charge a reasonable fee for copies of or providing
access to or distributing Project Gutenberg-tm electronic works
provided
that
- You pay a royalty fee of 20% of the gross profits you derive from
the use of Project Gutenberg-tm works calculated using the method
you already use to calculate your applicable taxes. The fee is
owed to the owner of the Project Gutenberg-tm trademark, but he
has agreed to donate royalties under this paragraph to the
Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation. Royalty payments
must be paid within 60 days following each date on which you
prepare (or are legally required to prepare) your periodic tax
returns. Royalty payments should be clearly marked as such and
sent to the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation at the
address specified in Section 4, "Information about donations to
the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation."
- You provide a full refund of any money paid by a user who notifies
you in writing (or by e-mail) within 30 days of receipt that s/he
does not agree to the terms of the full Project Gutenberg-tm
License. You must require such a user to return or
destroy all copies of the works possessed in a physical medium
and discontinue all use of and all access to other copies of
Project Gutenberg-tm works.
- You provide, in accordance with paragraph 1.F.3, a full refund of
any
money paid for a work or a replacement copy, if a defect in the
electronic work is discovered and reported to you within 90 days
of receipt of the work.
- You comply with all other terms of this agreement for free
distribution of Project Gutenberg-tm works.
1.E.9. If you wish to charge a fee or distribute a Project
Gutenberg-tm
electronic work or group of works on different terms than are set
forth in this agreement, you must obtain permission in writing from
both the Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation and Michael
Hart, the owner of the Project Gutenberg-tm trademark. Contact the
Foundation as set forth in Section 3 below.

snip remainder

EndQuote

You can make your own decisions, but the above states the rules set
down by Project Gutenberg

Regards
rgentry_at_oz_dot_net
_AT_ = @, _dot_ = . to eMail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Thompson

You can make your own decisions, but the above states the rules set
down by Project Gutenberg

Regards
rgentry_at_oz_dot_net
_AT_ = @, _dot_ = . to eMail

OK, It says a 20% of the PROFIT.
You tell me how to download a large file, burn a CD, label the CD, pack the CD,
and mail it anywhere in the world for $5.00 and make a profit. I figure I am
pretty much donating my time.
If anyone objects to this, I formally withdraw the offer to you. It is, however,
still open to anyone who does not object.
Sheesh! Try to help people...

Ron Thompson

http://www.plansandprojects.com
My hobby pages are he

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the land.
-Ron Thompson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Ron Thompson wrote:

If anyone objects to this, I formally withdraw the offer to you. It is,
however, still open to anyone who does not object.

You allready documented your odd attitude towards copyright at:
http://www.plansandprojects.com/copyrights.htm

Severe stupidity is self correcting, but mild stupidity is rampant in the
land.

Yes!

Nick