Tom Gardner

Default Mechanic's carpal tunnel

One of my mechanics is claiming carpal tunnel. I always thought repetitive
motion was to blame. He does general repair and maintenance and set-ups,
usually with nothing more than a set of Allan wrenches and a 8" crescent.
I'm a little leery after he declared bankruptcy a few years ago after
applying for and maxing-out numerous credit cards to get all the building
materials and rehabbing three houses, go on dive and ski trips and buy his
then girlfriend a $10k diamond ring. In fact, he wanted to be paid under
the table for the process...I refused. He's lawyered up and refuses our
medical protocol. It's rumored that he has another job lined up. I just
smell a scam. I know, management is always trying to screw the worker but I
value, reward and love my people...he's always been just a "Them" but he's
been treated with kid gloves because he IS bright and resourceful but always
needed constant motivation. I've always tried to maximize someone's
strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

Does anybody have any experience with carpal tunnel syndrome? Is it common
to be caused by a mechanic's work? Gee, do you think rehabbing three houses
could have been more strain than his job? Or, his Wet-bike?

Rex B

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like your instincts are right.
I've had repetitive motion symptoms for years, due to my use of a PC at
work. I just adjust so it doesn't get too bad. I've learned to be
ambidextrous in use of mouse.

Does anybody have any experience with carpal tunnel syndrome? Is it common
to be caused by a mechanic's work? Gee, do you think rehabbing three houses
could have been more strain than his job? Or, his Wet-bike?

I'd fight this guy. Probably a losing battle, like most thing s of this
sort. You are inevitably the Bad Guy Slavedrive Boss and he the
Victimized Working Man whose livlihood is stolen away by your thoughless
demands i.e. productivity. At least make him work for it.
If you are as good to your other employees as you say, you can
doubtless get some backup from some in the form of depositions or even
testimony, should it come to that. But most likely your insurance
company will negotiate a settlement, and you will have higher premiums
and a bad taste in your mouth.
Tim Wescott

Tom Gardner wrote:

[...]

GET A LAWYER. And yes, I know that you probably already have, but it
needed to be said. If you already have one, make sure that he/she is
good AT THIS KIND OF THING.

My dad went through the ringer with an employee who hurt her back. He
was able, in the end, to show that (a) the way she claimed to have hurt
herself was by violating company policy and (b) while she couldn't sort
mail without reporting pain she _could_ bar-hop quite effectively. The
upshot was that after about 9 months of PITA work by my dad, my mom and
their lawyer they didn't have to pay anything.

I don't know how it is where you are now, but in Oregon then worker's
comp paid for the actual treatment; my dad's company was only
responsible for giving her work at the same pay level that was within
her capabilites as specified by her doctor. I suspect that it is the
same thing for you. If he's really trying to scam you he'll have
trouble doing _anything_ you assign him, so getting the pictures of him
rehabbing the 4th house is a good thing. Carpal tunnel is a good thing
to pick if you're going to scam someone because it's hard to prove the
absense of pain _and_ it comes and it goes.

Keep in mind that you have to treat this whole thing very carefully,
because once he's made a claim you cannot discriminate against him, and
it's easy to percieve discrimination where none is intended.

Now, if someone could please tell me again why I hesitate to hire anybody...

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Siggy

It is certainly possible. One of the most common causes is repetitive work
such as typing on a computer, etc but repetitive gripping - such as turning
a screwdriver or allen wrench can absolutely cause carpel tunnel. My hands
go numb for about a week after working on a project that has a lot of
screws.

Having said that, this does sound fishy if he refuses to follow the company
medical guidelines. I wonder if such refusal would improve your chances of
winning a denied claim case?

Robert

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Tom, very likely your mechanic is trying to pull off a scam.

You are correct in believing that carpal tunnel syndrome is a
consequence of constantly repeated hand actions, not something commonly
associated with the work functions performed by a mechanic. It it more
typically a complicaton of the very repeated operations performed by
barbers, beauticians, pianists, some typists, and others whose physical
efforts are largely limited to the muscles and motions of the hand and
fingers.

I had a close friend with carpal tunnel syndrome, a beauty shop owner
who could not afford a great deal of lost work time. Simple surgery
corrected the problem in less than a month.

This link may provide helpful info:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/c...pal_tunnel.htm

Good luck and I suggest you lawer up, because more than likely you have
an employee who believes he can get away with a scam.

Harry C.

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 27 May 2005 20:29:52 GMT, "Siggy"
wrote:

[...]

Carpal tunnel can also be treated if caught early without surgery.
Braces, physical therapy, and changing how you do the process that
caused it in the first place have a very good success rate at fixing
the problem. And doing lots of work as long as it's varied probably
won't cause it. Something as simple as curling your wrists while
sleeping can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Using an air nailer all day
long can too. But hard work that doesn't repeatedly stress your wrists
won't do it. So all that house work may or may not be the cause. If
the guy really is suffering. A few years ago I went through the nerve
conduction test for carpal tunnel and even though both wrists were
eligible I only had the left one done because the right one could be
kept from getting worse by watching what I do. The nerve tests are a
pain, literally, but do show to a large extent how the signals
traveling through the nerves are affected. The doctor who tested me
was able to tell me where, and to what degree, comparatively, the
effect was showing up in my fingers. This was without knowing ahead of
time which fingers were the problem and which wrist was the worst. My
carpal tunnel was caused by a non repetetive injury that was not work
related but the results were the same. Just saying you hurt is not
good enough. Unlike many soft tissue injuries nerve-conduction tests
can provide non-subjective test results. Insist that this guy get
them. One part of the test involves stabbing a needle into the heel of
your thumb. Then you are told to tighten the muscle as hard as you can
while the doctor moves the needle around in your clenched muscle. So
maybe you could tell this guy about the test. Good luck. It really
****es me off when someone fakes an injury because then it tends to
make everybody suspect. Not to mention that getting money for a fake
injury is stealing. If the guy is faking I hope you can file some sort
of charges against him.
ERS
Steve Peterson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tom, very likely your mechanic is trying to pull off a scam.

You are correct in believing that carpal tunnel syndrome is a
consequence of constantly repeated hand actions, not something commonly
associated with the work functions performed by a mechanic. It it more
typically a complicaton of the very repeated operations performed by
barbers, beauticians, pianists, some typists, and others whose physical
efforts are largely limited to the muscles and motions of the hand and
fingers.

If you believe a mechanic does not have repetitive motions in his work you
have obviously not worked as a mechanic. These motions combined with running
impact wrenches do cause carpal tunnel. Out of three guys in a shop I worked
in three had symptoms of carpal tunnel. I had bilateral carpal tunnel
surgery with good but not perfect results. I really can't comment on this
guy's case but a good doctor can find the cause by performing nerve
conduction tests.
Steve

Lane

[...]

Here is my experience with CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome). I was an auto
mechanic for 12 years without any carpal tunnel problems what so ever. I
then went to work for Boeing on the 767 wing assembly line drilling holes
and putting in rivets for 8 hours everyday. Within about 9-10 months I had
to have the carpal tunnel surgery. Before your employee has surgery his
doctor should require the nerve conduction test.

Lane

JohnM

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I've had the carpal tunnel thing for 15 years, maybe a little more..
I've never had the surgery due to the fact I've heard things can be
worse in the end and an aspirin each day that I'm doing what aggravates
it seems to be all that's required to keep it at a low level.
Welding/chipping, running the electric drill, hammering, surfing the
net, riding the motorcycle, running the chainsaw/mower/weedwhip, they'll
all bring it on. As will wrenching for someone who's paying me..

As far as this guy goes, I say look at the atitude and past experience;
he's got a lawyer, he won't cooperate with your policy regarding his
complaint, and he's shown himself to be considerably dishonest.. He's
working on scamming you something fierce.

In my experience, it's a condition that can be lived with. Others may
have a different experience, I dont' know.. but if he's claiming it's
all due to working for you he's either ignorant or a liar.

What's he trying to get out of you? Lifetime unemployment? The surgery?
You should certainly not discriminate against him, but can't you put him
on a job that is better suited to his condition? At, say, minimum
wage.. If you can't cut his pay, you could make him the door guard- give
him a stool and make him sit and watch the door so someone don't steal.
No books, nothing to distract his attention. If he quits, who cares..

Anyway, a crafty lawyer is in order. It's gonna cost you no matter what
you do, and good advice is a good investment- you can use it more than
once. You might also change your company policy to directly address
this, have everyone sign that they accept whatever screwing you have
planned for him and if he don't want to sign he can walk. Can you fire
him now for not going by your policy?

Got a snitch in the shop? Maybe they know something that would be good
for you to know..

Best of luck with it, hope to hear it turns out good

John
Gerry

CPS can be from dumb habits as well. Had a friend who brought it on
himself by his habit of hitting a wrench with the palm of his hand to
break a tight bolt. Repeated blows to the right area is what did his.
I've got CTS as well but just live with the numbness. When I feel it
coming on, I stop and move my fingers around and things get better

gfulton

"Siggy" wrote in message
[...]

If he's wanting surgery to correct it, and he's on an HMO, I believe he'll
have to get a nerve conduction test before the HMO will approve the surgery.
I had the surgery done last year for an extremely painful case of this.
It's no laughing matter. Neurologist doing the nerve test said it was the
worse case of carpal tunnel he'd ever seen. I'm an airline electrician. He
can't scam a nerve conduction test. From your take on it, he does have all
the earmarks of an irresponsible a-hole, though.

Garrett Fulton

carl mciver

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
| One of my mechanics is claiming carpal tunnel. I always thought
repetitive
| motion was to blame. He does general repair and maintenance and set-ups,
| usually with nothing more than a set of Allan wrenches and a 8" crescent.
| I'm a little leery after he declared bankruptcy a few years ago after
| applying for and maxing-out numerous credit cards to get all the building
| materials and rehabbing three houses, go on dive and ski trips and buy his
| then girlfriend a $10k diamond ring. In fact, he wanted to be paid under
| the table for the process...I refused. He's lawyered up and refuses our
| medical protocol. It's rumored that he has another job lined up. I just
| smell a scam. I know, management is always trying to screw the worker but
| value, reward and love my people...he's always been just a "Them" but he's
| been treated with kid gloves because he IS bright and resourceful but
always
| needed constant motivation. I've always tried to maximize someone's
| strengths and minimize their weaknesses.
|
| Does anybody have any experience with carpal tunnel syndrome? Is it
common
| to be caused by a mechanic's work? Gee, do you think rehabbing three
houses
| could have been more strain than his job? Or, his Wet-bike?

Folks who scam the worker's comp system tweak me to no end because they
mess things up for the folks with valid problems. That said, I am currently
out on medical LOA, having had shoulder surgery for impingement, and expect
to be out for a few more months. I truly do wish I were back at work. A
few years ago I was having some weird shooting pains in my arm and hand,
only which some of the symptoms said carpal tunnel, but others didn't seem
to apply. A nerve conduction test said it wasn't what CTS, which was, for
me, great, but that only told me what it wasn't. I later discovered that it
was a weird side effect of a medication I was taking and corrected it
myself. My wife has been recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel, and the
folks were surprised that she said it wasn't work related, even though she
could have gotten away with it. The initial symptoms predated her current
job, and we think it was caused by how she holds her hands while she sleeps.
She's working on management of the situation rather than immediately jumping
for surgery. Cortisone shots seems to have helped her a lot. I'd have been
really ticked had she said it was work related.
I do think that I have some inflammation in my wrists, that if allowed
to continue the aggravation, would turn into it. I can only hammer nails
for a little while now before I have to take a break, and some jobs at work
(even at home) are definitely off limits, or very short term for me. We're
all getting old at work, so painful jobs get a lot of understanding and
help. If you, his supervisor or foreman are paying attention, they will see
a legitimate situation coming. These things don't pop up overnight by any
means. I hate to tell anyone this, but the ways to get paid actual cash for
L&I situations are pretty few, and to get caught scamming the system usually
has some pretty serious implications. I'm sure when he gets into the system
he'll learn this. Throwing lawyers into the mix never helps, but you have
the state system and specialized lawyers who can help. Never cheap, but the
alternatives of screwing it up aren't pretty for you, either.
Different states have different laws, with various abilities to scam the
system, so what state you're in makes a huge difference. I don't know how
much of the process you are allowed to know, how much the L&I system will
tell you, and what is done to preclude scamming the system. If the system
is state controlled, time to get on the phone and start asking questions.
Some systems are setup to benefit the employee completely, assuming almost
all the way that the employee is right, and some the other way around. With
my case, my employer is self administered, so I get calls all the time from
a nurse checking on things and seeing how things are going. It was obvious
from the way some of the questions were worded that they were sniffing
around for a scam, which I can completely understand. My boss' access to
information is really limited, but I've been really straightforward,
including about some issues that threw a monkey wrench in my existing
treatment plan. I think it's gone a long way to keep folks from camping
outside my house with a camcorder! If you smell a rat, there's likely a
rat, but I'm not sure how much you can do about it.

Charles Spitzer

"Gerry" wrote in message
oups.com...
CPS can be from dumb habits as well. Had a friend who brought it on
himself by his habit of hitting a wrench with the palm of his hand to
break a tight bolt. Repeated blows to the right area is what did his.
I've got CTS as well but just live with the numbness. When I feel it
coming on, I stop and move my fingers around and things get better

and you can get the numb hands symptom from other reasons. i had it, and the
problem turned out to be a ruptured disk in the top part of my neck, with
bone impinging on the spinal column.

Pete Keillor

wrote:

It is certainly possible. One of the most common causes is repetitive work
such as typing on a computer, etc but repetitive gripping - such as turning
a screwdriver or allen wrench can absolutely cause carpel tunnel. My hands
go numb for about a week after working on a project that has a lot of
screws.

Having said that, this does sound fishy if he refuses to follow the company
medical guidelines. I wonder if such refusal would improve your chances of
winning a denied claim case?

Robert

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, long before ergonomics was
even mentioned at work. My doc also did the nerve conduction tests,
and could tell the extent of damage by the time from stimulus to
response. It was nothing more than a mild shock, and nothing
subjective about it.

The surgery worked. My back and shoulders quit hurting in the
bargain. This was about 15 years ago.

Pete Keillor

Pete Keillor
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
snip-------

Now, if someone could please tell me again why I hesitate to hire

anybody...

Chuckle!

Aside from about one month of outside help, which I quickly learned to
dislike, I ran my two businesses alone. 26 years of knowing what the score
was, and not fearing being screwed by someone that I might have tried to
help. There were times when I was spread way too thin, but I didn't have
to worry about dishonest people interfering with my progress and success. I
wouldn't have it any other way.

Harold

DeepDiver

[...]

Hello Tom,

I'm replying to you directly on the off-chance that this guy (or one of his
friends) might read this newsgroup or do a Google search some time in the
future.

- Michael

Richard W.

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
One of my mechanics is claiming carpal tunnel. I always thought

repetitive
motion was to blame.

I worked in a machine shop for 30 years and when things got slow. I moved
over to the assembly department, because I was low man on the seniority
list. It took about a month for both hands and wrists hurt and woke me up in
the middle of the night. When I woke up 3 fingers on each hand were hurting.
I also got what felt like electric shocks in the palm of my left hand every
once in a while at work. The first shock test showed only slight carpal
tunnel, so the doctor had me come back in 6 months. Then it was full blown
in each hand. I had surgery on the left hand first. I was off work for 3
weeks on workers comp. Then light duty for 5 weeks and then the other hand
was done. Same situation. It did help a lot although I would feel strains in
my palms like they weren't healed up the from the surgery once in a while.
This happened only when I was doing some heavy work. Even though I was back
to regular work my hands weren't back to normal, but were a lot better. I
got no big check and I wasn't looking for one. I did how ever get the doctor
bills paid and reduced pay for the time lost by workers comp. Which was only
fair since I had worked at several shops in those 30 years. So why would I
expect a company that I worked only 3 years for to give me a big nest egg. I
am still there and have been there for 8 1/2 years now. Carpel tunnel isn't
the end of the world, because you can still work after surgery.

One thing you don't want to do is have surgery on both hands at the same
time. I know someone who did. They had to have some one feed them and clean
them off after they went to the bathroom. I still wonder what they were
thinking when they went in for surgery.

Richard W.

Lane

"Richard W." wrote in message news:Y--dnYsNgebZTArfRVn-
One thing you don't want to do is have surgery on both hands at the same
time. I know someone who did. They had to have some one feed them and
clean
them off after they went to the bathroom. I still wonder what they were
thinking when they went in for surgery.

Richard W.

A friend of mine had both of his done recently, and told me it was no big
deal. I showed him the 1-1/2" scar on my right hand that was done 15 years
ago, he said ouch! I asked to see his and you literally couldn't see it. He
said it was only about 1/2" and was horizontal across the wrist, done in an
existing skin wrinkle. Mine was vertical, (parallel with the fingers). I
think the operation is a lot less invasive than it was.

Lane

Actually Steve, while in college I did work as a mechanic's grunt for
two years, but that was in the days where impact wrenches were unknown
and you had to rely on your arm muscles to get the difficult tasks
done. Perhaps that was a was a blessing in disguise. My second job at
the time consisted of off-loading trucks containing 90# bags of
Portland cement that were tossed off the tailgate of the truck to you
and you caught them in your arms -- which rather than causing any
injury, put me in the best physical condition of my life. Then too, I
was about 20 at the time.

The first job related injury that I ever experienced was when I
repeatedly picked up and packed 40# packages containing military
electronics products from the floor and placed them in mil-spec
packaging. This led to a herniated disc in my back, but since it was my
own company, I had no one to blame. My Blue Cross policy covered the
cost of treatment, but I lost an entire month from work which, when you
own your own small firm, is a disaster!

You are correct in stating that nerve conduction tests are the key to a
diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome, but the cause can be very vague.
If the guy plays the guitar or serious piano, that could be more of a
cause than his job functions. In the case described by the original
poster, the person's background provides more than a minor clue that he
that he is attempting to pull-off a scam. This is precisly why most
firms check out a persons credit history in addition to his/her
employment history before hiring.

Harry C.

Richard W.

"Lane" lane (no spam) at copperaccents dot com wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message

One thing you don't want to do is have surgery on both hands at the same
time. I know someone who did. They had to have some one feed them and
clean
them off after they went to the bathroom. I still wonder what they were
thinking when they went in for surgery.

Richard W.

A friend of mine had both of his done recently, and told me it was no big
deal. I showed him the 1-1/2" scar on my right hand that was done 15 years
ago, he said ouch! I asked to see his and you literally couldn't see it.

He
said it was only about 1/2" and was horizontal across the wrist, done in

an
existing skin wrinkle. Mine was vertical, (parallel with the fingers). I
think the operation is a lot less invasive than it was.

Lane

Both of mine are in the palm area in a natural crease. I have to put my
glasses on to see them. Years ago they would go right down your wrist and
leave a pretty big scar. I am glad they don't do that anymore. When I had
mine done it was almost a week before I could lift a piece of paper between
two fingers with out it hurting.

Richard W.

Steve Peterson

"Richard W." wrote in message

[...]

I had both hands done at the same time and it wasn't that bad. Just put your
hand in a plastic bag before you wipe. I couldn't afford to be off work
twice.
Steve

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

"Tom Gardner" writes:

Does anybody have any experience with carpal tunnel syndrome?

You've got a bunch of responses already, but I thought I'd just point
out, mostly for the benefit of those who might be in the danger zone,
what CTS is, and how you get it.

When you curl your fingers to make a fist, you're using muscles in the
hand to do so. When you straighten them, however, you're using
muscles in the arm, between the elbow and the wrist. Tendons run from
these muscles down to your fingers, to pull them straight. These
tendons run through a narrow passage inside the wrist, and all the
nerves carrying signals to and from the hand run through the same
passage. This passage is the carpal tunnel.

Repetitive motion will pull those tendons back and forth, back and
forth through the tunnel, and if you're unlucky, this will cause them
to become inflamed and swollen. They then squeeze the nerves in the
tunnel with them, and you've got pain and numbness -- CTS.

When you have to do repetitive flexing of the fingers, as in typing,
piano playing, or, in fact, various types of mechanical work, the key
is to keep your wrist straight. This lets the tendons run as smoothly
as possible through the carpal tunnel. If you've got your wrist bent
at an angle, the tendons will be sliding around that bend, and will
rub all the harder on the inside wall of the tunnel.

CTS surgery involves opening up the carpal tunnel to make more room
for movement through it.

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.
Eric R Snow

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:18:03 +0200, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" writes:

[...]

Tom-when you make a fist muscles in your arms pull tendons connected
to your fingers. When you straighten your fingers other muscles in
your arms pull tendons connected to your fingers. I learned all about
these tendon and muscle systems after I had tendons repaired. one
tendon that curles my left index finger and another that extends my
right thumb. When I curl my left hand fingers I can see scar tissue
clinging to my tendons in my forearm move back and forth.
ERS
carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Actually Steve, while in college I did work as a mechanic's grunt for
| two years, but that was in the days where impact wrenches were unknown
| and you had to rely on your arm muscles to get the difficult tasks
| done. Perhaps that was a was a blessing in disguise.

A few years ago an ergonomics person pointed out that you won't see many
construction outfits using nailguns anymore. Seems that they started using
them to alleviate the carpal tunnel caused by using hammers. However, they
were snagging their hoses on stuff, wrenching their backs. Someone noticed
that while carpal tunnel was expensive, it was something that could be fixed
with known results, but back injuries were even more expensive and with
mixed results as to whether or not you even get to keep your employees.
Self powered nailguns are popular as a result, but they're a bit on the
heavy side, and far from cheap for the small user. Seems you can't win for
losing!