Posted to rec.woodworking
jtpr jtpr is offline

Default Raffling off a project for a cause

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:54:52 PM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:
On 2/27/2013 6:03 PM, jtpr wrote:

My brother in law and closest friend (fellow woodworker) suffered a massive brain bleed back in September. Anyway he is currently in a skilled nursing facility and will probably be coming home in June. This will be tough on his wife financially as there are a lot of things that need to be done to accommodate his needs. Plus, he was the primary bread winner, and he is only 55 so she could be looking a a LOT of years of care.

So, I was thinking; what if I made something and either raffled it or auctioned it off to help raise funds for her? I was looking around online but not really finding what I need. Also, how would people know I was legit? Has anybody done this sort of thing with something they have made? Any suggestions?

I could use the web site I made her (http://www.careformel.org) to advertise it, but they don't really have a huge number of people visiting it.

If you know some folks online and particularly in social networking

sites, you might want to consider doing this for them:

http://www.giveforward.com

A family friend set up a medical fund at that site for my youngest

daughter, 27, and has raised $4k+ in the space of a couple of weeks to

help her pay for experimental drugs to treat a rare, disfiguring disease

that the insurance company will not pay.

She is pretty much overwhelmed with the support she has received from

that quarter, and it has proven to be a godsend for both her morale, and

well as helping pay her bills.

I think they take a 10% fee, but the donor can also pay that if they wish..

If you want to leave no stone unturned for your BIL, give it a shot, and

then let _everyone_ know about it. There's a lot of generous folks out

there ...

--

eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com

Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts

http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Actually I did do that just the other day (http://www.giveforward.com/careformel).

But now I'm not sure where to go with it. I mean we let people know in his original circle when I set up the website and most either gave something or helped out in some other way. But none of these are wealthy people and I feel odd using this Giveforward site to solicit more. So I heard about regarding another cause and looked it up and created the page, then kind of hit a wall as to how to get it out there. Maybe I could use it as sort of a second phase, his coming home. I guess where I'm going is trying to reach out beyond the people in his immediate world. I just don't want to see him in nursing home the rest of his life, the cost of which would probably cause his wife to lose the house. Better he come home and she can care for him with some help. Damn guy is 6'5" and hard to move around;+}