Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - sweating walls

I may have mentioned here that we recently moved into a house built in
the '50s. A problem has arisen.

One of the bathrooms has a relatively small shower. My wife likes to
take long hot showers. When she does, a small amount of water, maybe 3
or 4 tablespoons, appears on the floor in one spot.

Doing a little investigating, there is a small "weep hole" at the bottom
and that's where the water is coming from. It appears to me that the
wall must be sweating on the inside as I can find no place in the shower
that water could get into the wall. I'm thinking there would be more
water if there was an actual leak.

Looking around on the web, all the references to sweating seem to refer
to moisture condensing on the outside of walls, not inside a wall.

Has anyone here run into this problem? And fixed it? The only thing I
can think of is more powerful vent fan.

Or am I worrying about nothing? Maybe the amount of water is too little
to cause much harm. OTOH, maybe the other shower walls are also getting
wet inside and they don't, AFAICT, have a weep hole.

Of course my wife doesn't want to believe it's not a leak - she doesn't
want to use the shower in the other bathroom. No, I don't know why
either :-).

Any ideas? Thanks.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/13 11:34 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Long read, but perhaps worth the time....
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...vapor-barriers

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2013 9:45 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Having recently paid a goodly sum to remove mold in our attic due to an
improper roof install, I would look into this right away. You might
have mold growing in your walls.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 11:52*am, scritch wrote:

Having recently paid a goodly sum to remove mold in our attic due to an
improper roof install, I would look into this right away. *You might
have mold growing in your walls.

Amen, brother. This requires immediate attention.

However Larry, it sounds like waaaay too much water to be
condensation. I would almost bet you have a leak in your shower pan
or in your grout. Get in the shower with best flashlight you have and
a magnifying glass and investigate carefully every grout joint and
look for cracks. A tiny, tiny sliver of a crack will result in a
pretty good leak.

If nothing is apparent, then find a way to completely block the drain
(I mean 100%) and fill up the shower with as much water as it will
hold and leave it there for an hour. Did your water show up? Grout
or tile leak that is through the pan. Repair with a line of DAP tub
and tile after a thorough cleaning of the area.

Nothing? Remove the grate from the drain and inspect this very
carefully to make sure it is sealed where the tile comes over the
collar of the drain. To make sure of this, regardless of what your
eyes tell you, when this detail is perfectly dry and perfectly clean,
apply DAP tub and tile on this detail and mash it in the joint with
your finger. Wait 24 hours, put the grate back on and try a shower to
see if that got it.

Been doing this a long time. I have never seen condensation generate
THAT much water. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, though. But these
are things I call "the most likely suspects" when trouble shooting and
I would start there.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2013 12:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

I had sweating walls in my bathroom, I put in a bigger fan, problem
went away. I didn't think the fan was doing a good job to begin with.
Check to make sure your fan is really exhausting too, not to the attic.
I saw a friend who had put his vent in the attic, he was so proud he had
to show me. I told him it would create mold problem , he discounted my
observation... just waiting for him to tell me his roof is full of
mold... some don't listen.
--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Larry Blanchard
wrote:

Doing a little investigating, there is a small "weep hole" at the bottom
and that's where the water is coming from. It appears to me that the
wall must be sweating on the inside as I can find no place in the shower
that water could get into the wall. I'm thinking there would be more
water if there was an actual leak.

The water only appears during a long shower? That suggests water is
getting in.

Try a hose, and spraying the wall with cold water. If you get water
leaking, then the idea that a temp differential is causing sweating is
shot down.

Definitely be concerned with mold, though.

I would be tempted to open the wall and see what's going on behind it.
Water in a wall is Bad News, and opening a wall is only a weekend
project.

djb

--
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to
read. - Groucho Marx
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Hot water = hotter air = air with greater ability to hold water vapor

Cold(er) surface (any) + vapor loaded air = condensation.

So yes, what you suggest *could* be possible but I doubt it.

First of all, how is the vapor loaded air getting into the wall? Through
the weep hole? Again, I doubt it. And what's with the "weep hole"? I have
never seen or heard of such (in an interior, framed wall).

Secondly, assuming the water *is* the result of condensation within the
wall, it sounds like way too much water. If the wall interior was filling
up with vapor saturated air that air would be condensing on the entire wall
surface. There is a wood plate at the bottom, no? It would wick up a fair
amount of water as would any studs. Ditto drywall. If your thoughts are
correct, there is much more water getting into the wall then there is coming
out.

I don't think you are worrying about nothing, it needs fixing, but I think
you need to look elsewhere for the water source. And to figure out *why*
there is a hole. Have you probed it with an ice pick? Punky?

HTH & HAND

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/13 1:55 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

At least it was in the attic. :-)
Around here, most fans are just in the ceiling with no venting at all.
Their intended purpose is simply to make people feel better when in the
water closet farting away, thinking no can hear it over the fan.....
which we all know doesn't work. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2013 7:20 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

LMAOF +1

--
Jeff

sweating copper [email protected] Home Repair 51 February 29th 12 04:34 PM
sweating copper [email protected] Home Repair 1 February 8th 12 11:54 PM
sweating copper JIMMIE Home Repair 1 February 8th 12 11:00 AM
Sweating Cu pipe JIMMIE Home Repair 23 September 7th 09 04:10 PM
Sweating Copper w/ O/A?? Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 6 March 2nd 05 02:58 AM