Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sweating copper

On Feb 6, 4:22*pm, teabird wrote:
Hello,

I have some 1/2 inch type M copper pipe and 4 90* elbows that I'm
sweating together for practice. *I've cut some 8 inch pieces and
yesterday was able to solder one end of each ell to 2 tubes. *It took
a few extra tries but I was able to draw the solder into the joint
pretty well. There was alot of smoke created, white and brown. *I'm
using yellow canister (Map gas?), cleaning the joints with emery
cloth, flux and using lead free solder.

Today I can't seem to get the solder to draw in. *I've prepared the
joints as before and am attempting to create a square with the tubes
so this time the ell is connected to 2x 8 inch pieces. *I also notice
that even though the solder is eventually melting it is not drawing in
the joint, and when it hardens it has a yellow color to it.

Is the yellow color significant and does it indicate a problem with my
technique? *Can there be a noticable difference between yesterday and
today as relates to how quickly the joint heats up, as today I have 2x
the amount of tube to heat?

TIA,

Teabird

A common mistake is to hold the flame too close to the pipe. This is
not the hottest part of the flame. Plenty of video on the net on how
to do this and what part of the flame to use. Google.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

For us non-professionals, I've found this stuff helps alot.

http://www.oatey.com/Channel/Shared/...ning+Flux.html

sweating copper [email protected] Home Repair 51 February 29th 12 04:34 PM
sweating copper Doug Miller[_4_] Home Repair 20 February 10th 12 09:21 PM
sweating copper [email protected] Home Repair 1 February 8th 12 11:54 PM
sweating copper Limp Arbor Home Repair 3 February 7th 12 11:23 PM
sweating copper The Daring Dufas[_7_] Home Repair 0 February 7th 12 08:38 AM