Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default OT - sweating walls

On 2/9/13 1:55 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/9/2013 12:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
I may have mentioned here that we recently moved into a house built in
the '50s. A problem has arisen.

One of the bathrooms has a relatively small shower. My wife likes to
take long hot showers. When she does, a small amount of water, maybe 3
or 4 tablespoons, appears on the floor in one spot.

Doing a little investigating, there is a small "weep hole" at the bottom
and that's where the water is coming from. It appears to me that the
wall must be sweating on the inside as I can find no place in the shower
that water could get into the wall. I'm thinking there would be more
water if there was an actual leak.

Looking around on the web, all the references to sweating seem to refer
to moisture condensing on the outside of walls, not inside a wall.

Has anyone here run into this problem? And fixed it? The only thing I
can think of is more powerful vent fan.

Or am I worrying about nothing? Maybe the amount of water is too little
to cause much harm. OTOH, maybe the other shower walls are also getting
wet inside and they don't, AFAICT, have a weep hole.

Of course my wife doesn't want to believe it's not a leak - she doesn't
want to use the shower in the other bathroom. No, I don't know why
either :-).

Any ideas? Thanks.

I had sweating walls in my bathroom, I put in a bigger fan, problem
went away. I didn't think the fan was doing a good job to begin with.
Check to make sure your fan is really exhausting too, not to the attic.
I saw a friend who had put his vent in the attic, he was so proud he had
to show me. I told him it would create mold problem , he discounted my
observation... just waiting for him to tell me his roof is full of
mold... some don't listen.

At least it was in the attic. :-)
Around here, most fans are just in the ceiling with no venting at all.
Their intended purpose is simply to make people feel better when in the
water closet farting away, thinking no can hear it over the fan.....
which we all know doesn't work. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)