Proctologically Violated©®

Default Sweating Copper w/ O/A??

Awl--

Someone ripped my B-tank sweating set-up. Turbo-Torch, Goss repalcements
are, yikes, $200.
I seem to remember a less fancy ditty for $60-70. Anyone know where I can
get something like this? HD, Sears just have the bitty propane stuff.
Plumbing supply houses only carry the $200 stuff.

BUT,
Can I just use my regyoolar O/A , w/ a highly reducing flame (ie, not a lot
of Ox so's I don't wind up melting the copper)??? I have various size
welding tips--as well as cutting tips.

Yeah, now I gotta lug two tanks around, but I don't do a lot of sweating
anyway (this partic. job may req. more heat than propane can give), so maybe
I can save some bucks?

Does it make sense that low ox pressure would be equivalent to TurboTorches
venturi-type air, ie, air sucked in or aspirated w/ the acetylene flow?

Strange, but if memory serves, the TT flame almost looks like an O/A flame,
but w/ just atmospheric air!! Not like it smokes or anything. Yet there
has to be a substantial diff. in heat/temp, right?? Just curious about
that.

Hope you all can help, as this plumbing job--or lack thereof--is causing
some amount of grief.
And that $200 for a TT ain't exactly burnin holes in my pocket.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

jim rozen

In article , Proctologically Violated©® says...

Can I just use my regyoolar O/A , w/ a highly reducing flame

You don't need a highly reducing flame. A neutral one works
just fine. But be aware that you have a lot more heat at
your disposal, so if it took a flame that was 1/4 inch
in diameter to do a sweat fitting (say, for example, an
half inch elbow to to pieces of half inch pipe) and it
took a minute to get that up to temperature, you can
use a flame that is smaller (say, 1/8 diameter) and it
will be ready to flow in about 15 seconds.

Jim

please reply to:
Leo Lichtman

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote: (clip) I seem to remember a less fancy
ditty for $60-70. Anyone know where I can get something like this? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can't you just hook a Prestolite torch to your acetylene hose, and do what
you want? Also, check to see whether air/acetylene tips are available for
your present O/A torch.

Proctologically Violated=A9=AE wrote:
[...]

Yup, Big Bucks for air/acetylene outfits, you can almost buy a really
good O/A rig for what they get. I've seen the "discount" prices at the
welding supply, yikes!! I've used the turbo-type propane burners for
plumbing copper, you can get some that have swivel heads which kind of
reduces the need for the separate hand torch like the Goss. Usually
runs $30 or less for the bare head and includes its own piezo striker.
These are not daddy's Bernzomatic. Most can use MAPP, if you need more
temperature. I've used mine on 1" supply-line tubing without problems,
but if you're doing copper drains or vents you might need a couple. I
haven't used granddad's Prestolite outfit in a long time, but then I
don't make a living from it, either.

You could solder with O/A but I imagine you'd have to be really quick.

If you're firmly wedded to air/acetylene, check around at the pawn
shops(you might find your own rig, too). Beat-up rigs with tank
usually go for around $90-100 around here, though you can usually beat
the price down.

Alternative: I've seen solderless plumbing joining kits down at
True-Value, looks like some sort of epoxy adhesive. I'd suppose that
its permissibility depends on local plumbing codes, though.

Stan

Ben Jackson

On 2005-03-01, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Can I just use my regyoolar O/A

I've seen professional plumbers using O/A to sweat fittings. It makes
a cheap propane torch look like a total joke! You can sweat complicated
joints in large diameter copper pipe in seconds. Use a small (1/4"?
welding tip and a neutral flame.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Proctologically Violated©®

On 2005-03-01, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Can I just use my regyoolar O/A

I've seen professional plumbers using O/A to sweat fittings. It makes
a cheap propane torch look like a total joke! You can sweat complicated
joints in large diameter copper pipe in seconds. Use a small (1/4"?
welding tip and a neutral flame.

Musta been worth it, to lug two tanks around!

Do you think I could use some pretty thick rosin core solder I have? I
would of course still use paste flux, but the rosin core I have is almost as
thick as plumbing solder. Also, the line is more for shop water than
drinking, etc., lest the composition of the solder give pause.
Plus I'm too old for anything to really affect my brain, at this point.
Thanks.
--
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 15:10:36 -0500, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

Someone ripped my B-tank sweating set-up. Turbo-Torch, Goss repalcements
are, yikes, $200.
I seem to remember a less fancy ditty for $60-70. Anyone know where I can
get something like this? HD, Sears just have the bitty propane stuff.
Plumbing supply houses only carry the $200 stuff.

Just get a little bottle of "just for copper". It is like a cold weld,
works on copper and brass only - good for something like 400 degrees.

It works like crazy glue - and is just as strong as solder - $24
Canadian for a bottle that does 200 joints, or something like that.
I've used it, and it is GREAT!!.

Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
type of copper to use to repipe house Ron Home Repair 42 February 9th 05 03:59 PM
copper and gasoline [email protected] Metalworking 28 January 9th 05 08:10 PM
Is sweating copper with electric soldering gun feasible? Doug Miller Home Repair 14 September 17th 04 04:05 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM