Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawer side stock?

Mike M wrote:

Being a contractor you'll knock heads here on a few things. Being a
good contractor you give your clients choices. Some are doing a quick
turn, some are building a dream house, and some are on a strict
budget. Before I got hurt I was an electrical contractor and found
the best way to bid was to present the options as it sounds like you
do. That way at least if they went for the lowest price you might get
a chance to educate them. If they were't interested in discussion
they might not be a good customer. Every remodel brings problems.
Sounds like you do an excellent job of showing the customer their
choices.

And you, my friend, have obviously BTDT.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:11:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Unless the drawers are to handle heavy loads, I see no need for any
drawer slides at all. A traditionally fitted drawer is much better.

Better for what?

My reply was directed to someone who was talking about kitchen drawers,
not furniture drawers.

Last I looked, this was the "recreational woodworking" group, not the
"commercial kitchen cabinet builders" group :-).

(If that sounds a little snippy, it's because Comcast just clobbered all
our email accounts and I'm too miserable from the flu to fight with them
just now.)

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2013 8:53 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:11:48 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Unless the drawers are to handle heavy loads, I see no need for any
drawer slides at all. A traditionally fitted drawer is much better.

Better for what?

My reply was directed to someone who was talking about kitchen drawers,
not furniture drawers.

Last I looked, this was the "recreational woodworking" group, not the
"commercial kitchen cabinet builders" group :-).

So - and upon your last look - when a "recreational woodworker" asks a
question/expresses an interest in a subject, only a "recreational"
woodworker can answer in this "recreational woodworking" group?

Interesting interpretation of the purpose of this group you got there.

And here all along I was thinking it was global warming, politics, the
price of gas, and gun control ... go figure, eh?

(If that sounds a little snippy, it's because Comcast just clobbered all
our email accounts and I'm too miserable from the flu to fight with them
just now.)

So you heard that 'sound' too, but pulled the trigger on the post anyway?

Nice ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:53:16 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Interesting interpretation of the purpose of this group you got there.

And here all along I was thinking it was global warming, politics, the
price of gas, and gun control ... go figure, eh?

Shouldn't let his reply irk you. I'm jealous of everything you build
too. However, you can redeem yourself by giving away all your
woodworking tools to me and taking a vow of poverty.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Dave wrote in
:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:53:16 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Interesting interpretation of the purpose of this group you got there.

And here all along I was thinking it was global warming, politics, the
price of gas, and gun control ... go figure, eh?

Shouldn't let his reply irk you. I'm jealous of everything you build
too. However, you can redeem yourself by giving away all your
woodworking tools to me and taking a vow of poverty.

Poverty? I disagree Karl needs poverty. He really seems to earn his keep.
I think his detailed help to people here and elsewhere is reason enough to
just be grateful for his wisdom.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2013 10:53 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Having been trying to learn something, I've observed that Swingman's
models for cabinetmaking feature more fine-woodworking integrity than
comparable projects in magazines, where projects may be "dumbed-down"
for the sake of creating entertaining media, perhaps. I hope you keep
preachin' Swingman (and others)!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/21/2013 9:39 AM, Bill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the kind words, Bill. Granted, some jobs require a measure of
uncompromising assholery to get things done, mainly because you're
dealing with other peoples money and dreams and, for whatever reasons,
they've already realized they can't get the job done themselves ... and
most would agree some of us are well suited to that task, and that that
attitude tends to spill over to other areas.

That said, and when someone asks a question, and I feel like I can give
a reply based on relevant experience, I will ... and at the same I will
also endeavor to _show_, using whatever technology at hand, why I feel
my reply may address the question/concern.

I'm well aware that that rubs some folks here the wrong way, probably
because their own insecurity makes them feel it's akin to "tootin' your
own horn". ****'em.

I will continue to "preach", as you say ... and couldn't give a rat's
ass less about them, or what they feel or think ... there's always the
killfile to allow them to feel better about themselves if that's what it
takes.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://plus.google.com/114902129577517371552/posts
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 21 Jan 2013 12:55:48 GMT, Han wrote:

Dave wrote in
:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:53:16 -0600, Swingman wrote:
Interesting interpretation of the purpose of this group you got there.

And here all along I was thinking it was global warming, politics, the
price of gas, and gun control ... go figure, eh?

Shouldn't let his reply irk you. I'm jealous of everything you build
too. However, you can redeem yourself by giving away all your
woodworking tools to me and taking a vow of poverty.

Poverty? I disagree Karl needs poverty. He really seems to earn his keep.
I think his detailed help to people here and elsewhere is reason enough to
just be grateful for his wisdom.

Agreed plus the photos are worth the price of admission.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:53:16 -0600, Swingman wrote:

(If that sounds a little snippy, it's because Comcast just clobbered
all our email accounts and I'm too miserable from the flu to fight with
them just now.)

So you heard that 'sound' too, but pulled the trigger on the post
anyway?

You heard my excuse - what's yours?

There's nothing wrong with suggesting commercial solutions in this group
- we all learn that way. But turning up your nose at fitted drawers is
just reverse snobbery.

carrying a cross.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/22/2013 11:13 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 21:53:16 -0600, Swingman wrote:

(If that sounds a little snippy, it's because Comcast just clobbered
all our email accounts and I'm too miserable from the flu to fight with
them just now.)

So you heard that 'sound' too, but pulled the trigger on the post
anyway?

You heard my excuse - what's yours?

There's nothing wrong with suggesting commercial solutions in this group
- we all learn that way. But turning up your nose at fitted drawers is
just reverse snobbery.

Instead of getting all disingenuous and defensive about your already
self admitted "snippy" behavior, how about simply answering the question
you got all "snippy" about regarding drawers intended for a kitchen:

On 1/18/2013 1:49 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:17:15 -0600, Swingman wrote:
I meant to add that you will certainly want to consider,
before you make a decision about your drawer side thickness,
the type of drawer slides you will be using.