Junior Member

Location: Northern California
Arrow Waterlox vs. Parks Tung Oil

We have some old clear redwood that was finished 30 plus years ago with Parks brand Tung Oil. It is dry and I would like to rejuvenate it, but I am not looking for a high gloss finish, just a light shine.

I have never used the Parks product, but we still have a very old can of it around. My husband did the original finish in the living room with Parks.

My expereience has been using Waterlox and I am comfortable using it. I have their Satin finish available.

Could anyone give me a rundown of both these products, and also advise if using the old can of Parks is a good idea? I assume I will have to strain it and possibly add thinner to it.

Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gil Gil is offline

Default Waterlox vs. Parks Tung Oil

On 24/11/2012 12:33 PM, Pacific Pintos wrote:
We have some old clear redwood that was finished 30 plus years ago with
Parks brand Tung Oil. It is dry and I would like to rejuvenate it, but I
am not looking for a high gloss finish, just a light shine.

I have never used the Parks product, but we still have a very old can of
it around. My husband did the original finish in the living room with
Parks.

My expereience has been using Waterlox and I am comfortable using it. I
have their Satin finish available.

Could anyone give me a rundown of both these products, and also advise
if using the old can of Parks is a good idea? I assume I will have to
strain it and possibly add thinner to it.

Thank you.

First of all, not having used Parks I really can't comment on it. But,
before you decide to do something like this, have you considered that
maybe the dull, dry appearance may be due to a build-up of household
airborne contaminates? Things such as cooking and smoking can build up a
film on a surface over time and thirty years is a long time. Also the
application of furniture polish will build up a dulling film. Therefore,
it may be worthwhile to try cleaning a small portion of the surface
using a rag dampened with varsol or turps to see if the dull film is
removable and the original surface appearance returns.

Gil

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Pacific Pintos

Tung has a short shelf life once it's exposed to air. Hope it's
not gelled.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 17:33:35 +0000, Pacific Pintos
wrote:

We have some old clear redwood that was finished 30 plus years ago with
Parks brand Tung Oil. It is dry and I would like to rejuvenate it, but I
am not looking for a high gloss finish, just a light shine.

I have never used the Parks product, but we still have a very old can of
it around. My husband did the original finish in the living room with
Parks.

My expereience has been using Waterlox and I am comfortable using it. I
have their Satin finish available.

Could anyone give me a rundown of both these products, and also advise
if using the old can of Parks is a good idea? I assume I will have to
strain it and possibly add thinner to it.

30 year old can of finish? Forget it. I'd surely use the Waterlox.
Their satin is my favorite finish, too.

--
Good ideas alter the power balance in relationships, that is why
good ideas are always initially resisted. Good ideas come with a

Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil? [email protected] Woodworking 7 May 6th 17 12:16 AM
questions about waterlox tung oil for old oak floors [email protected] Woodworking 4 April 20th 06 01:16 PM
Parks planer burfl Woodworking 2 March 22nd 06 01:23 PM
ATTN: Parks 12" Planer Owners Doug Rewerts Woodworking 7 February 20th 05 11:11 PM
Parks' Wagon Shop Special Andy Dingley Woodworking 8 October 23rd 04 10:36 AM