Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The Minwax stuff is sold as "Tung Oil Finish" and does not state it is
pure Tung oil or that it even contains any Tung oil at all. It just
says it is an oil finish. It is not like a food product which must
state what the ingredients are.

In the inverse, if an item says "Pure Tung oil" then they would have
an obligation to actually deliver such a product.

On Mar 5, 12:37*pm, wrote:
I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. *Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. *I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:45:13 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

The Minwax stuff is sold as "Tung Oil Finish" and does not state it is
pure Tung oil or that it even contains any Tung oil at all. It just says
it is an oil finish. It is not like a food product which must state what
the ingredients are.

In fact, any product called "Tung Oil Finish" is almost guaranteed to NOT
contain any tung oil. :-).

But there are tung oil products out there. I know Woodcraft carries a
couple and I'm sure others do as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you want to minimize any coloring on the maple, I'd recommend using a
water clear finish, such as lacquer or Waterbased Poly, such as Minwax
Polycrylic.

As far as the "Tung oil finish - Your guess is as good as any as to what's
in it.

--
Gregory Paolini Design
www.GregoryPaolini.com

wrote in message
I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

No.
Ingredients
Med. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent
Methyl Ethyl Ketoxime
Cobalt 2-Ethylhexanoate
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

No.
Ingredients

linseed oil
Med. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent
Methyl Ethyl Ketoxime
Cobalt 2-Ethylhexanoate

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.

nope. Go to a rockler, woodcraft or another local gem for the real stuff; prepare for a sticker shock, comparatively speaking.

On the other hand, I've done MANY successful projects with the low sheen Watco Tung Oil Finish. It's among my favorite finishes, when I'm looking for that simple hand rubbed look, but want something just a little harder. Rocking horses, tabletops, butcher block counters without a lot of water contact, etc.

opinions on minwax tung oil for kitchen cabinets please LYLE MOYER Woodworking 2 December 3rd 07 12:40 AM
Walnut/Pure tung oil Lee Woodworking 3 January 23rd 07 12:09 AM
Pure tung oil not drying -- help! [email protected] Woodworking 9 August 20th 06 01:30 PM
Minwax Tung Oil Finish stoutman Woodworking 6 April 27th 06 03:50 AM
Pure tung oil Ken Moon Woodturning 7 January 20th 06 11:48 PM