Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_79_] Steve[_79_] is offline

Default Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

On Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.

nope. Go to a rockler, woodcraft or another local gem for the real stuff; prepare for a sticker shock, comparatively speaking.

On the other hand, I've done MANY successful projects with the low sheen Watco Tung Oil Finish. It's among my favorite finishes, when I'm looking for that simple hand rubbed look, but want something just a little harder. Rocking horses, tabletops, butcher block counters without a lot of water contact, etc.