DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/272736-minwax-tung-oil-pure-tung-oil.html)

[email protected] March 5th 09 08:37 PM

Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.

SonomaProducts.com March 5th 09 09:45 PM

Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

The Minwax stuff is sold as "Tung Oil Finish" and does not state it is
pure Tung oil or that it even contains any Tung oil at all. It just
says it is an oil finish. It is not like a food product which must
state what the ingredients are.

In the inverse, if an item says "Pure Tung oil" then they would have
an obligation to actually deliver such a product.

Larry Blanchard March 6th 09 12:48 AM

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:45:13 -0800, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

The Minwax stuff is sold as "Tung Oil Finish" and does not state it is
pure Tung oil or that it even contains any Tung oil at all. It just says
it is an oil finish. It is not like a food product which must state what
the ingredients are.

In fact, any product called "Tung Oil Finish" is almost guaranteed to NOT
contain any tung oil. :-).

But there are tung oil products out there. I know Woodcraft carries a
couple and I'm sure others do as well.

Douglas Johnson[_2_] March 6th 09 04:11 PM

wrote:

I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.

If you want tung oil, you need to get "Pure Tung Oil". It is one of my favorite
finishes, but it will darken maple. Too much for my taste. I am in the final
stages of making a spalted maple box and am planning to use super blond shellac.

-- Doug

Gregory Paolini March 10th 09 01:17 AM

Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

If you want to minimize any coloring on the maple, I'd recommend using a
water clear finish, such as lacquer or Waterbased Poly, such as Minwax
Polycrylic.

As far as the "Tung oil finish - Your guess is as good as any as to what's
in it.

--
Gregory Paolini Design
www.GregoryPaolini.com

[email protected] May 5th 17 05:19 PM

Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

No.
Ingredients
Med. Aliphatic Hydrocarbon Solvent
Methyl Ethyl Ketoxime
Cobalt 2-Ethylhexanoate

Spalted Walt May 5th 17 05:58 PM

Is Minwax Tung Oil 'Pure' Tung Oil?

wrote:

No.
Ingredients

linseed oil

Steve[_79_] May 6th 17 12:16 AM

On Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 3:37:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm finishing some birdseye maple and want to use tung oil to minimize
yellowing. Is all tung oil the same?
I see 'tung oil' and then 'pure tung oil' advertised. I'm worried
about other addatives causing some yellowing.

nope. Go to a rockler, woodcraft or another local gem for the real stuff; prepare for a sticker shock, comparatively speaking.

On the other hand, I've done MANY successful projects with the low sheen Watco Tung Oil Finish. It's among my favorite finishes, when I'm looking for that simple hand rubbed look, but want something just a little harder. Rocking horses, tabletops, butcher block counters without a lot of water contact, etc.