Posted to rec.woodworking
Gil Gil is offline

Default Waterlox vs. Parks Tung Oil

On 24/11/2012 12:33 PM, Pacific Pintos wrote:
We have some old clear redwood that was finished 30 plus years ago with
Parks brand Tung Oil. It is dry and I would like to rejuvenate it, but I
am not looking for a high gloss finish, just a light shine.

I have never used the Parks product, but we still have a very old can of
it around. My husband did the original finish in the living room with
Parks.

My expereience has been using Waterlox and I am comfortable using it. I
have their Satin finish available.

Could anyone give me a rundown of both these products, and also advise
if using the old can of Parks is a good idea? I assume I will have to
strain it and possibly add thinner to it.

Thank you.

First of all, not having used Parks I really can't comment on it. But,
before you decide to do something like this, have you considered that
maybe the dull, dry appearance may be due to a build-up of household
airborne contaminates? Things such as cooking and smoking can build up a
film on a surface over time and thirty years is a long time. Also the
application of furniture polish will build up a dulling film. Therefore,
it may be worthwhile to try cleaning a small portion of the surface
using a rag dampened with varsol or turps to see if the dull film is
removable and the original surface appearance returns.

Gil