Posted to rec.woodworking

Default David Marks on the Drums

For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:15:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

The "Bench Dogs"??? Lord love a duck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Sorry, but more $$ in instruments than talent.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Sorry, but more $$ in instruments than talent.

At least it was a real "garage/shop band"--they had the clamps and
everything!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Sorry, but more $$ in instruments than talent.

At least it was a real "garage/shop band"--they had the clamps and
everything!

They took the trouble to "do it". So you have to give them credit for
that. They probably have day jobs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2012 9:23 AM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Sorry, but more $$ in instruments than talent.

At least it was a real "garage/shop band"--they had the clamps and
everything!

Yep ... whoopdedo!

They took the trouble to "do it". So you have to give them credit for
that.

From a woodworker (and the slow pan past the tits of the chick singer)
standpoint, maybe. From a musical standpoint ... the proof, or lack
thereof, is in the pudding.

(BTW, there are at least three woodworker/musicians who have posted here
recently who indeed _would_ put a smile on your face with their
musicality: -MIKE-Radcliffe (drums), Steve Turner (drums), and Mike
Marlowe (guitar))

They probably have day jobs.

.... and better hold onto them, tightly.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

(BTW, there are at least three woodworker/musicians who have posted
here recently who indeed _would_ put a smile on your face with their
musicality: -MIKE-Radcliffe (drums), Steve Turner (drums), and Mike
Marlowe (guitar))

Well - a tip of the hat to you sir, for the compliment. What Karl did not
tell you is that there is yet another, who has earned and proven credentials
in that area. The guy has more time with big name pro's than a lot of us do
in back woods bars. That of course, would be Karl himself. Though his
critique may sound harsh to your ears, it is a proven and frankly...
accurate critique of the video clip.

BTW Karl - no "e" in Marlow.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Nice shop, music was distracting. ;~(
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/12 8:08 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Sorry, but more $$ in instruments than talent.

Yeah, my Mom told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say
anything.
That girl is pretty cute.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/12 10:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
(BTW, there are at least three woodworker/musicians who have posted here
recently who indeed _would_ put a smile on your face with their
musicality: -MIKE-Radcliffe (drums), Steve Turner (drums), and Mike
Marlowe (guitar))

Ahhh, gee... shucks, Karl. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Nice shop, music was distracting. ;~(

(I apologize for an accidentally sent message, with no content added)

Based on what I heard, I went looking on YouTube for a Stevie Ray Vaugn
version (but didn't locate one). Who did the definitive version of the
song? Screaming Jay Hawkins?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Nice shop, music was distracting. ;~(

(I apologize for an accidentally sent message, with no content added)

Based on what I heard, I went looking on YouTube for a Stevie Ray
Vaugn version (but didn't locate one). Who did the definitive
version of the song? Screaming Jay Hawkins?

CCR!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwCALR8ZAm8

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 20:15:43 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Not too painful. Ashley's cute, so that'll get them gigs.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:15:43 PM UTC-8, wrote:
For the musicians out the http://vimeo.com/27318359

David gets much higher "marks" for his other work with wooden sticks. At least I feel I can kick his ass in the sound stuidio.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2012 10:23 AM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Sorry, but more $$ in instruments than talent.

At least it was a real "garage/shop band"--they had the clamps and
everything!

They took the trouble to "do it". So you have to give them credit for
that. They probably have day jobs.

I'm a musician. (keyboards, mostly)I'm substantially better at that than
I am at woodworking. While part-time, I've probably played something
like 2000 (paying) gigs in my long demi-career. And yes, I have a "day
job".

I applaud people like those shown in the video, whatever level of
accomplishment they might display. I wish that more people played
instruments, especially in groups. I think that may once have been more
common, when entertainment was less easily obtained.

Beyond the obvious enjoyment it affords the participants, it increases
their ability to appreciate music as played by others, especially live
music. We could use more of that sort of appreciation. Music gets more
and more devalued the more ubiquitous it becomes.

The same thing extends to attempting any sort of skilled activity. I
think that people who don't do much of that miss out on something
valuable. Needlepoint, bread-baking, the oboe, woodworking: take your pick.

As for the video, some of you may have had a similar reaction to the
"talent" level displayed in the pictures I've posted (of my rudimentary
forays into woodworking), to say nothing of my uninformed questions
here. But I'm pretty proud of my simple efforts, and I know they give me
a greater appreciation for craftsmanship in general.

I'm a pretty fair musician, but sometimes the world seems packed solid
with better players. As a younger man, that used to bother me. But I've
attained a certain perspective over time. When I put my hands on the
keys, music comes out. There's a little bit of me in every phrase.
That's no small accomplishment.

If I were in a bar and heard that band playing, you can be sure that
there'd be at least one person applauding: me. Barring some overt
arrogance on the part of the performers, I applaud. That's another thing
that used to be a given, but too many people these days seem to
"forget", even when they were dancing, singing and tapping their feet
during the song.

My two cents? Take up a skill that requires practice (or several), and
applaud the efforts of others whenever the opportunity arises.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

If I were in a bar and heard that band playing, you can be sure that
there'd be at least one person applauding: me. Barring some overt
arrogance on the part of the performers, I applaud. That's another thing
that used to be a given, but too many people these days seem to
"forget", even when they were dancing, singing and tapping their feet
during the song.

My two cents? Take up a skill that requires practice (or several), and
applaud the efforts of others whenever the opportunity arises.

+1

I was at a coffee-house one when the table of "ladies" directly in front
of the performers asked if they would turn the volume down so that they
could talk (amongst themselves). How embarrassing. But if one looks
around, most listeners at such events are only casual listeners.
Personally, I have always felt some duty to be a respectful listener,
though it doesn't seem to be a universally held attitude. Maybe it comes
with musicianship?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2012 4:35 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

My two cents? Take up a skill that requires practice (or several), and
applaud the efforts of others whenever the opportunity arises.

Sure, applaud the effort, but not necessarily the result ... for
applause does not necessarily improve the music.

AAMOF, being told the truth about the way you sound, individually or as
a band, will get you much further down the road to being a competent
musician/band than being applauded for a mediocre performance.

Most anyone can afford to record these days, which is mostly a good
thing. (One could argue that the problem comes in knowing when to NOT
put 'practice' recordings out for public consumption).

By all means, that is NOT to infer that recording yourself is not a
legitimate means of improving as a musician, because it is definitely
one of the best ways to learn and improve ... mainly because it allows
you to hear what you sound like to others, instead of what you think you
sound like when you're playing ... _the absolute single thing most
important element to becoming a "player"_.

(without exception, the audience will hear exactly what a truly talented
player is hearing in his own head while he's playing).

The more those two factors coincide, the better the player you become,
and recording yourself is one of the best ways to attain that goal, for
all but the sheer musical genius ... who doesn't need it in the first place.

Once again, the problem comes in knowing when to NOT put those practice
recording out for public consumption ... and realize that doing so may
well come with risk of deserved criticism, as well as any reward.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

That's a good post too (I like it more than your first critical one)!

For all we know, in the video, we may be looking at the best of 25 takes!

Personally, I might have removed the beer bottles from near the lead
singer. I thought maybe they were there for ambiance until I noticed
one was half full...lol.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

I'm a musician. (keyboards, mostly)I'm substantially better at that
than I am at woodworking. While part-time, I've probably played something
like 2000 (paying) gigs in my long demi-career. And yes, I have a "day
job".

I applaud people like those shown in the video, whatever level of
accomplishment they might display. I wish that more people played
instruments, especially in groups. I think that may once have been
more common, when entertainment was less easily obtained.

I do as well. Despite Karl's compliment, I consider myself to be a
mediocre, or maybe slightly better than mediocre musician. I've played, and
I continue to play with some of the best talent in these parts, and let me
tell you - I have fun doing it, I get invited back, but man... some of these
guys make me wonder why I even bother. I've backed studio sessions for
local bands, (not a lot - here and there), I've played open mic nights at
local bars and rocked the joint. Then... I've played open mic nights at
local bars and couldn't wait to get back out to my car. I consider myself
fortunate to play with the guys I do, because they are so good and they
stretch me. Makes me better and I'm not ready to give up that quest yet.

I understand Karl's comment though. Musicians probably judge musicians
harsher than the casual observer does (unless they really suck). I've
played with some really crummy players and sometimes couldn't wait for it to
end, but like most musicians, ya plug through it because they are doing
their best and they are enjoying it. Better guys than me welcome me to play
when ever we happen to be together, so I can't do any less for people who
have lesser capabilities than I.

I too was glad to see them having fun. They certainly didn't act like they
were the next American Idol - just having fun. That's what it's about. I
didn't like the way they played the song at all, but that doesn't mean much.
They would have benefited greatly with a sound guy that knew how to mix. I
think the audio quality hurt them as much as anything else.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/12 5:44 PM, Bill wrote:

Personally, I might have removed the beer bottles from near the lead
singer. I thought maybe they were there for ambiance until I noticed
one was half full...lol.

Perhaps that's what she needed to work up the courage to sing with those
guys. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

We are coming off a period of about 30 years where even mediocre local
musicians could almost make a living in the music business, as long as they
exercised the only requirement for doing so .... Nope, not talent,
PERSISTENCE.

Even the best around here are now struggling to make ends meet. It is not
the economy as much as it is the want of a venue that supports live music.
While the economy does play a part in that, the greed of the performing
arts societies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) is to the point that their license
price is sufficient to deter most of those venues who would like to present
live music.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/12 6:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
While the economy does play a part in that, the greed of the performing
arts societies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) is to the point that their license
price is sufficient to deter most of those venues who would like to present
live music.

Greed? Hardly. The fees for venues are not that high.
Artists should be paid for their intellectual property when others are
performing it, making money for themselves and the venue.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
snip
Even the best around here are now struggling to make ends meet. It is not
the economy as much as it is the want of a venue that supports live music.
While the economy does play a part in that, the greed of the performing
arts societies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) is to the point that their license
price is sufficient to deter most of those venues who would like to present
live music.

I would blame Kareoke first. I believe bar-owners love that people are
willing to entertain themselves, at a considerably lesser cost to them I
think. Of course, you may be thinking of larger venues than those I
most often frequented.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:17:23 -0500, Bill wrote:

Greg Guarino wrote:

If I were in a bar and heard that band playing, you can be sure that
there'd be at least one person applauding: me. Barring some overt
arrogance on the part of the performers, I applaud. That's another thing
that used to be a given, but too many people these days seem to
"forget", even when they were dancing, singing and tapping their feet
during the song.

My two cents? Take up a skill that requires practice (or several), and
applaud the efforts of others whenever the opportunity arises.

+1

I was at a coffee-house one when the table of "ladies" directly in front
of the performers asked if they would turn the volume down so that they
could talk (amongst themselves). How embarrassing.

I hope you tossed her drink on her or immediately burst into a loud,
fast song. vbg What a C. If she wants to talk, why choose a
live-music coffee house? Morons.

But if one looks
around, most listeners at such events are only casual listeners.
Personally, I have always felt some duty to be a respectful listener,
though it doesn't seem to be a universally held attitude. Maybe it comes
with musicianship?

No, it comes from being a polite, well-behaved person in an
increasingly impolite society. Kudos to you for that, Bill.

--
While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy
is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our
creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.
-- Gilda Radner

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

Yes, it probably didn't even occur to them why the place was so crowded.
Lansing, MI had, and probably still has, a pretty darn good coffee
club scene. There used to be several with live music Thursday-Saturday.
I never performed at them but I took a few paid guitar lessons from one
of the players. I played in a couple of open-mic nights, but I would
say I had a defensive rather than an assertive posture. Maybe because my
fingers seemed to freeze? : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2012 7:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/14/12 6:49 PM, Swingman wrote:
While the economy does play a part in that, the greed of the performing
arts societies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) is to the point that their license
price is sufficient to deter most of those venues who would like to
present
live music.

Greed? Hardly. The fees for venues are not that high.
Artists should be paid for their intellectual property when others are
performing it, making money for themselves and the venue.

Yeah, GREED ... just how big was your last PRO check?

And since when do _most_ "artists" get paid other than a small pittance
by the PRO's?

Have you checked the PRO's prices, and worse, their tactics, lately ...
it's gotten pretty disgusting here in the big city?

This 2010 article is way behind the current curve, as it's gotten much
worse hereabouts in the interrim:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/stu...nt?oid=1558638

Friend who runs a small club down in Galveston just got a bill for $7200
for having live bands one night a week, and that was just one PRO
(ASCAP, again). He was looking at about $12k total for all three and
wondering how to justify paying bands on top of that, many of them who
play mostly original material to boot, and now who won't be getting paid
any of that 12 grand, or anything else for that matter ... and local
musicians don't suffer because of this, which was the thrust of my post?

Closer to home, if Linda, who's songs have been played on radio and in
elevators, and performed live by others for years, ever gets a bigger
check than $15 from BMI, then maybe I'll sympathize with the likes of
Bono and Swift, among just a small percentage of others who get what's
left ... after the PRO's pay their for their perks and management's
swimming pool chemicals.

Yeah, GREED ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/12 8:52 PM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Somehow, I knew you'd have a strong opinion about the matter. :-)
The system needs fixed. I still don't think anyone has the right to
earn money off of songs they don't own the rights to.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2012 9:03 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Somehow, I knew you'd have a strong opinion about the matter. :-)
The system needs fixed. I still don't think anyone has the right to
earn money off of songs they don't own the rights to.

I agree with you, but the fact is that most who join one of the PRO's
rarely ever gets even their membership fee back in royalties, as small
as that is.

In short, the PRO's are rolling in cash from songs for which they did
absolutely nothing to create, and the ultimate effect is robbing the
poor to pay the rich.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:08:34 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 11/14/12 5:44 PM, Bill wrote:

Personally, I might have removed the beer bottles from near the lead
singer. I thought maybe they were there for ambiance until I noticed
one was half full...lol.

Perhaps that's what she needed to work up the courage to sing with those
guys. :-)

My impression having grown up in the Seattle music scene is like every
thing else there are too many people trying to make a living off other
peoples talent and work. This covers all areas of work.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 10:12:04 -0600, Swingman wrote:
From a woodworker (and the slow pan past the tits of the chick singer)
standpoint, maybe. From a musical standpoint ... the proof, or lack
thereof, is in the pudding.

I'd suggest that one of the motivations for these guys was to get her
to hang out with them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2012 6:22 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/14/2012 4:35 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

My two cents? Take up a skill that requires practice (or several), and
applaud the efforts of others whenever the opportunity arises.

Sure, applaud the effort, but not necessarily the result ... for
applause does not necessarily improve the music.

Firstly, I suspect it does. But what I was really getting at is that
it's good to work at things that require effort and skill, even if there
will always be flaws, and even though someone else will always be better
than you.

Dalliance? Hobby? Avocation? Passion? Go for it, I say. Go for several
"its", in fact. There's a whole world of stuff to do, and not nearly the
time to try all of it.

AAMOF, being told the truth about the way you sound, individually or as
a band, will get you much further down the road to being a competent
musician/band than being applauded for a mediocre performance.

The people in that video, with one exception, are far from being "kids".
I suspect they have a reasonably realistic assessment of their own
skills. Were I there with them I might offer a few tips, the fingering
for a Ninth chord perhaps, maybe a suggestion to concentrate first on a
steady groove, then embellish. Perhaps they'd return the favor and offer
a wood-simpleton like myself a pointer or two about planes. But I see no
profit in a blanket slap at their proficiency.

I'm listening to Keith Jarrett as I write this. I am alternately
dumbfounded by how much he can play, and by how little. It's a level of
musicianship I'll never attain. But I'm proud of the music I make, and
I'll get better, partly by absorbing a bit here and there from people
like that.

I'm much less far along the path to being a woodworker, but I'm
improving at that as well. And I hope that when people see my results,
they'll be inclined to offer encouragement and specific tips to make the
next project better. That *has* been my experience here, by the way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/13/2012 10:15 PM, wrote:
For the musicians out the

http://vimeo.com/27318359

Sorry, but more $$ in instruments than talent.

Yeah, my Mom told me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.
That girl is pretty cute.

Definitely easy on the eyes. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/14/2012 10:55 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/14/12 10:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
(BTW, there are at least three woodworker/musicians who have posted here
recently who indeed _would_ put a smile on your face with their
musicality: -MIKE-Radcliffe (drums), Steve Turner (drums), and Mike
Marlowe (guitar))

Ahhh, gee... shucks, Karl. :-)

I have a hard time keeping up with this group, especially as of late, but I
thought I felt my ears burning! Thanks for the kind words Karl. How cool
would it be if we could somehow arrange a musical gathering among the musicians
from the "wreck?" I daresay we could put on a better show than the "Bench
Dogs." Assuming we could find a chick singer that's as cute as Ashley, of
course. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/15/2012 9:45 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 11/14/2012 10:55 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/14/12 10:12 AM, Swingman wrote:
(BTW, there are at least three woodworker/musicians who have posted here
recently who indeed _would_ put a smile on your face with their
musicality: -MIKE-Radcliffe (drums), Steve Turner (drums), and Mike
Marlowe (guitar))

Ahhh, gee... shucks, Karl. :-)

I have a hard time keeping up with this group, especially as of late,
but I thought I felt my ears burning! Thanks for the kind words Karl.
How cool would it be if we could somehow arrange a musical gathering
among the musicians from the "wreck?" I daresay we could put on a
better show than the "Bench Dogs." Assuming we could find a chick
singer that's as cute as Ashley, of course. :-)

Just hang on a bit, won't be long before technology has that covered ...
a G+ Hangout/Plug-in&Jam.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

WoodWorks with David Marks Ogee Woodworking 12 December 18th 06 04:49 PM
a David Marks tool DADGAD Woodworking 2 September 20th 05 04:24 AM
My observation David Marks David Woodworking 39 May 27th 05 11:01 PM
Krenov on David Marks Kevin Craig Woodworking 20 May 18th 05 08:57 PM
David Marks Tom Watson Woodworking 45 January 20th 05 08:10 PM