Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default David Marks on the Drums

Bill wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

If I were in a bar and heard that band playing, you can be sure that
there'd be at least one person applauding: me. Barring some overt
arrogance on the part of the performers, I applaud. That's another thing
that used to be a given, but too many people these days seem to
"forget", even when they were dancing, singing and tapping their feet
during the song.

My two cents? Take up a skill that requires practice (or several), and
applaud the efforts of others whenever the opportunity arises.

+1

I was at a coffee-house one when the table of "ladies" directly in front
of the performers asked if they would turn the volume down so that they
could talk (amongst themselves). How embarrassing. But if one looks
around, most listeners at such events are only casual listeners.
Personally, I have always felt some duty to be a respectful listener,
though it doesn't seem to be a universally held attitude. Maybe it comes with musicianship?

We are coming off a period of about 30 years where even mediocre local
musicians could almost make a living in the music business, as long as they
exercised the only requirement for doing so .... Nope, not talent,
PERSISTENCE.

Even the best around here are now struggling to make ends meet. It is not
the economy as much as it is the want of a venue that supports live music.
While the economy does play a part in that, the greed of the performing
arts societies (ASCAP, BMI, SESAC) is to the point that their license
price is sufficient to deter most of those venues who would like to present
live music.

--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)