Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Observation on Elmer's Yellow Glue...

Finally used up the end of the Titebond jug and since don't use enough
any more to justify the gallon of Ol' Yeller via 'net, bought a
container of Elmer's off the shelf...

Observation after previous--it's way much thinner so is pita for
running/dripping. Works just fine for results, just an observation that
I think I'll go back to Titebond even at higher cost--it just isn't that
much actual money.

OBTW, the container had a pull/push closing mechanism. Even new took
all effort have to pull it open and after a use it glued itself shut to
take pliers to pull...

Fortunately, the threads match on the opening w/ an old spout from a
Titebond container w/ the little flat prong to go in the slot so swapped
it out...

Just for any who are thinking/needing...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

LOL.... I prefer TiteBond buy am buying the extended open time variety
by the gallon. It is thin but also dries clear and does not take much
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Finally used up the end of the Titebond jug and since don't use enough
any more to justify the gallon of Ol' Yeller via 'net, bought a
container of Elmer's off the shelf...

Observation after previous--it's way much thinner so is pita for
running/dripping. Works just fine for results, just an observation
that I think I'll go back to Titebond even at higher cost--it just
isn't that much actual money.

I suspect the fact that it is thinner is due to the fact that it is new.
Your old Titebond had probably thickened over time. As best as I can
recall, I don't recall a lot of difference in the viscosity of the two when
brand new.

My Titebond bottle does the same damned thing. Don't it **** ya right off?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/2012 5:35 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
dpb wrote:

[...]

Humm glue that works..... LOL. Open the bottle more often, don't give
it time to dry and wipe the outside of the lid clean.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/7/2012 8:40 AM, Leon wrote:

Humm glue that works..... LOL. Open the bottle more often, don't give it
time to dry and wipe the outside of the lid clean.

Don't design a spout/close mechanism so prone to plugging...the area
between the outside of the spout and the inside of the outer cover isn't
accessible to cleanup. Plus, having to do so is an extra pita step that
shouldn't be necessary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Humm glue that works..... LOL. Open the bottle more often, don't
give it time to dry and wipe the outside of the lid clean.

That's the biggest part of my problem with glues. I do keep the bottle
clean but just as you said - I don't do enough woodworking right now to use
the damned stuff often enough. If you could just weld wood I wouldn't have
this problem...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Humm glue that works..... LOL. Open the bottle more often, don't
give it time to dry and wipe the outside of the lid clean.

That's the biggest part of my problem with glues. I do keep the bottle
clean but just as you said - I don't do enough woodworking right now to use
the damned stuff often enough. If you could just weld wood I wouldn't have
this problem...

--

-Mike-

Doesn't Festool make glue yet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:22:49 PM UTC-8, dpb wrote:
[...]

I solved the problem of using a pair of pliers by making myself a wooden wrench. I just cut a slot the width of the bottle of the cap, so that it will slide in under the cap and then with a lift up I can pull the cap up. I just store the wrench near the blue, so I don't have to hunt for my pliers anymore.

Al Holstein

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/12/2012 3:24 PM, Al Holstein wrote:
On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 3:22:49 PM UTC-8, dpb wrote:

OBTW, the container had a pull/push closing mechanism. Even new took
all effort have to pull it open and after a use it glued itself shut to
take pliers to pull...

I solved the problem of using a pair of pliers by making myself a
wooden wrench. I just cut a slot the width of the bottle of the cap,
so that it will slide in under the cap and then with a lift up I can
pull the cap up. I just store the wrench near the blue, so I don't
have tohunt for my pliers anymore.

Being farmer, I have a pair of pliers growing out of my pocket at all
times...