Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Yellow glue - Lee Valley ? $$$$!

I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:

I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that
they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50
gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.

SFWIW.

Last gallon of Titebond II I bought was about 6 months ago and the
price was about $20/Gal.

I bitched like mad since 6-8 month earlier the price was about
$12-$14, but I still bought it

Before I paid $50/gal for wood glue, think I'd use epoxy and
micro-balloons.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Jay Pique wrote:
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.

It's a PVA instead of an aliphatic glue w/ a very high viscosity and
relatively long open time. For applications where that were important
it might be worth it, but I'd think Type III would cover most of that.
I didn't look, but might compare it to the specialty trim "no-sag" or
"trim" but still more expensive by quite a bit I think.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.

In the sizes that LV stocks titebondIII, it's more expensive than the LV
glue.

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers
of titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

$30 gets you a gallon of Elmers. Name brand stuff is quite a bit more.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Jay Pique wrote:
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.

In the sizes that LV stocks titebondIII, it's more expensive than the LV
glue.

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers of
titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

$30 gets you a gallon of Elmers. Name brand stuff is quite a bit more.

Chris

Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/5s82un

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. Thanks.

In the sizes that LV stocks titebondIII, it's more expensive than the LV
glue.

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers of
titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

$30 gets you a gallon of Elmers. Name brand stuff is quite a bit more.

Chris

At the moment, Rockler has TB III quarts for $6.99 US.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers
of titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/5s82un

Unfortunately, Amazon.com refuses to ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca
doesn't carry anything but books/movies/music/software.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
Max wrote:
"Chris Friesen" wrote

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers
of titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/5s82un

Unfortunately, Amazon.com refuses to ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca
doesn't carry anything but books/movies/music/software.

What??! Sure they do! I've ordered any number of things from them that
aren't available on amazon.ca. Never had an issue with it.

Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

At the moment, Rockler has TB III quarts for $6.99 US.

As I mentioned, I'm in Canada.

Rockler doesn't have international shipping listed on its website, but
Woodcraft wants $28 to ship a gallon of glue to me. At that price it's
more expensive than the LV stuff.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin B. wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:

Unfortunately, Amazon.com refuses to ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca
doesn't carry anything but books/movies/music/software.

What??! Sure they do! I've ordered any number of things from them that
aren't available on amazon.ca. Never had an issue with it.

Looks like it depends on the item. I tried buying the glue, and got:

"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination."

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Chris Friesen wrote:
Leon wrote:

At the moment, Rockler has TB III quarts for $6.99 US.

As I mentioned, I'm in Canada.

Rockler doesn't have international shipping listed on its website, but
Woodcraft wants $28 to ship a gallon of glue to me. At that price it's
more expensive than the LV stuff.

Don't know what their shipping outside US is, but might try Woodworker's
Supply (www.woodworker.com) -- they're good to deal with and as
reasonable as anybody price-wise.

I'm surprised there isn't easily accessible local supply for items as
ordinary as glue???

Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin B. wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:

Unfortunately, Amazon.com refuses to ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca
doesn't carry anything but books/movies/music/software.

What??! Sure they do! I've ordered any number of things from them that
aren't available on amazon.ca. Never had an issue with it.

Looks like it depends on the item. I tried buying the glue, and got:

"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination."

Chris

maybe because of the temps. try again in the summer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

I'm surprised there isn't easily accessible local supply for items as
ordinary as glue???

Oh I can get basic no-name stuff, but I haven't found a local source for
TitebondIII by the gallon. And as the OP mentioned, the LV glue is
$50/gallon.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Chris Friesen wrote:
Leon wrote:

At the moment, Rockler has TB III quarts for $6.99 US.

As I mentioned, I'm in Canada.

Rockler doesn't have international shipping listed on its website, but
Woodcraft wants $28 to ship a gallon of glue to me. At that price it's
more expensive than the LV stuff.

Don't know what their shipping outside US is, but might try Woodworker's
Supply (www.woodworker.com) -- they're good to deal with and as
reasonable as anybody price-wise.

I'm surprised there isn't easily accessible local supply for items as
ordinary as glue???

So am I, although frankly it's not much easier to find stuff local to
Calgary via the web.

Chris, I see that Windsor Plywood has Titebond (I, II, and III) in
four-litre jugs on their website. No price listed, though. Also, try
giving Black Forest Wood (http://www.blackforestwood.com/) a call.
They're located in Calgary, and may well have the stuff at a decent
price. Friendly bunch, great wood, although their website...isn't
the greatest.

Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Chris Friesen wrote:
dpb wrote:

I'm surprised there isn't easily accessible local supply for items as
ordinary as glue???

Oh I can get basic no-name stuff, but I haven't found a local source for
TitebondIII by the gallon. And as the OP mentioned, the LV glue is
$50/gallon.

Hmmm...any cabinet shops or commercial ww'ers that could find where they
purchase supplies?

Two more goodun's to deal with--again I don't know about shipping
policies to the frozen north...

Klingspor -- www.woodworkingshop.com

Woodworker's Hardware -- www.woodworkershardware.com

The latter is in Sauk Rapids, MN, at least up that general direction
altho you could be west, not east or central of course. It might be
they're in closer proximity altho it's probably not distance that's
controlling shipping, anyway...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 12:03*pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. *Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? *Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. *Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. *Thanks.

In the sizes that LV stocks titebondIII, it's more expensive than the LV
glue.

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers
of titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

$30 gets you a gallon of Elmers. *Name brand stuff is quite a bit more.

Chris

Try my friends in London, ON

http://www.cabinetmart.com/wood-glue.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. *Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive? *Even Titebond III only goes for around $30 a gal. *Maybe
someone who has used it can let me know if it's worth it. *Thanks.

In the sizes that LV stocks titebondIII, it's more expensive than the LV
glue.

Around here (SK, Canada) I haven't been able to find gallon containers
of titebondIII, and 1qt containers go for $18.

$30 gets you a gallon of Elmers. *Name brand stuff is quite a bit more..

Chris

Try my friends in London, ON

http://www.cabinetmart.com/wood-glue.html

That was a shameless plug, btw.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:33:07 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

Oh I can get basic no-name stuff, but I haven't found a local source for
TitebondIII by the gallon. And as the OP mentioned, the LV glue is
$50/gallon.

Chris

How about this?

Next time I'm @ Coastal Tool (this week), I'll check the gallon price.

After that, I'll check retail shipping rates. If it all works for
you, I, as one 'wrecker to another, will ship you a gallon. You can
mail me a check for the actual total cost when it arrives in
Canukistan.

Coastal doesn't list the glue on the web, but that's where I buy mine.

My "real" email address is barry at bburke.com

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
I was getting an order together for Lee Valley today and saw that they
sell "Lee Valley Cabinetmaker's Glue 2002 GF" for approximately $50 a
gallon. Am I missing something, or does this seem really, really
expensive?

Actually $48 US for 4 liters (135 ounces).

Compared to TB II and TB III it is more expensive, but I like working with
the LV glue better. Is it 100% better? I'd have to think about that. I
don't buy a gallon at a time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
Leon wrote:

At the moment, Rockler has TB III quarts for $6.99 US.

As I mentioned, I'm in Canada.

Rockler doesn't have international shipping listed on its website,
but
Woodcraft wants $28 to ship a gallon of glue to me. At that price
it's more expensive than the LV stuff.

Have you tried Lowes? They have stores in Canada and do mail order as
well, so should be a different situation from Woodcraft.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Compared to TB II and TB III ... I like working with
the LV glue better. ...

In any way you can articulate why/what is better or "just one of those
things" kinda way?

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Sort of like when your grandmother baked, the dough had to "feel right."

Seems to squeeze out and then spread better/easier. Probably a viscosity
thing. Runs were minimal and cleaned up better it they did happen. Plenty
of open working time.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Compared to TB II and TB III ... I like working with the LV glue better.

In any way you can articulate why/what is better or "just one of those
things" kinda way?

--

Sort of like when your grandmother baked, the dough had to "feel right."

Seems to squeeze out and then spread better/easier. Probably a viscosity
thing. Runs were minimal and cleaned up better it they did happen. Plenty
of open working time.

The high viscosity would of course minimize runs--that's one of the
specific points made w/ it.

As noted earlier, it is a pva instead of aliphatic like the yellow glues
which could be a reason as well for the difference in feel...

Thanks, was curious as not used it...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
dpb wrote:

I'm surprised there isn't easily accessible local supply for items as
ordinary as glue???

Oh I can get basic no-name stuff, but I haven't found a local source for
TitebondIII by the gallon. And as the OP mentioned, the LV glue is
$50/gallon.

Chris

From Titebond's web site:

"Titebond products are available at fine retailers throughout the United
States. For International locations, please e-mail our International
Division ( ) or call
1-800-877-4583."

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote:

If it was me, I'd start by using my phone book, and call stores
in

my area, to see what they could do - if they sell it, bet they can
order
larger bottles if they don't normally carry them - that's always been
my
experience - that's how I'm getting the duplex nails in the size I
need
from the local Ace, the ones they stock are waay too large. If that
didn't work, I'd call the Titebond people, 1-800-347-4583 - it's on
the
label on the back of every bottle. Hell, they might even be willing
sell direct, and ship it to yout. Never know unless you ask.

Good grief, you mean to actually get away from the puter screen and
read a book, abet the phone book to do some basic research?

In this day and age, that's about the same as asking a 2 year old to
give up their pacifier.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote:

Good grief, you don't actually believe any of that do you?

Should I?

Couple

of years ago, needed to track down some steel tuping. Called the
first
place under steel in my local phone book. They didn't have what I
wanted, but they gave me a number to call. Two more numbers, and ten
minutes later, I had the info I was after, including prices.

Basic rule of 3.

Starting from scratch, shold be in the right place on the 3rd call.

One of my favorite questions when I get the "We don't have that"
routine is:

"Can you suggest some one who might have it?"

Lew

My "real" email address is barry at bburke.com

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Now THERE is a generous offer. Part of the reason I come here.

--

Tanus

This is not really a sig

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

How about this?

Next time I'm @ Coastal Tool (this week), I'll check the gallon price.

After that, I'll check retail shipping rates. If it all works for
you, I, as one 'wrecker to another, will ship you a gallon. You can
mail me a check for the actual total cost when it arrives in
Canukistan.

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

I did some calling around to local suppliers. Found one place where
after some discussion between their employees they determined that they
didn't stock it in gallons, but they could get it from their wholesaler.

Since their wholesaler was fairly close by, they just gave me the
receipt and sent me over there.

Total amount for 1 gallon of TBIII, $39 and tax. Probably about as good
a deal as I'm going to get around here.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:03:27 -0600, Chris Friesen

Total amount for 1 gallon of TBIII, $39 and tax. Probably about as good
a deal as I'm going to get around here.

Probably, as it would cost at least $12 for me to ship you a gallon.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **