Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Power Tool based Haunted House

Someone was talking at work today about haunted houses and how the first thing her kids encountered was nearby sound of a chainsaw being started up.

That made me wonder if you couldn't put together a whole Haunted House based on woodworking powertools..or handtools for that matter. I can sort of imagine a bunch of woodworkers, with their safety glasses and ear protection, decked out in flannel and wielding a whole assortment of dangerous tools--routers, hand planers, all varieties of saws--in their blood-spattered shop aprons.

Someone ought to do this. It's probably too much to ask to have some tool company sponsor it. The last room of the could be a serious lecture about how useful power tools for woodworking when they are used correctly.

Ok, that last part is purely gratuitous.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:55:22 -0700, bfilipczak wrote:

Someone was talking at work today about haunted houses and how the first
thing her kids encountered was nearby sound of a chainsaw being started
up.

That made me wonder if you couldn't put together a whole Haunted House
based on woodworking powertools..or handtools for that matter. I can
sort of imagine a bunch of woodworkers, with their safety glasses and
ear protection, decked out in flannel and wielding a whole assortment of
dangerous tools--routers, hand planers, all varieties of saws--in their
blood-spattered shop aprons.

Someone ought to do this. It's probably too much to ask to have some
tool company sponsor it. The last room of the could be a serious lecture
about how useful power tools for woodworking when they are used
correctly.

Ok, that last part is purely gratuitous.

You would need a lot of RAS, apparently.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/16/2012 9:55 PM, wrote:
Someone was talking at work today about haunted houses and how the first thing her kids encountered was nearby sound of a chainsaw being started up.

That made me wonder if you couldn't put together a whole Haunted House based on woodworking powertools..or handtools for that matter. I can sort of imagine a bunch of woodworkers, with their safety glasses and ear protection, decked out in flannel and wielding a whole assortment of dangerous tools--routers, hand planers, all varieties of saws--in their blood-spattered shop aprons.

Someone ought to do this. It's probably too much to ask to have some tool company sponsor it. The last room of the could be a serious lecture about how useful power tools for woodworking when they are used correctly.

Ok, that last part is purely gratuitous.

My wife and I are reluctant and casual gardeners, to put the very best
face on it. Our rear yard had reverted to nature over a busy summer (and
spring). On Saturday I rented a Husqvarna gas-powered trimmer with a
blade that looked almost exactly like a Ninja throwing star. It was ten
inches in diameter, made of 1/4" steel, and had three sharpened points.

The trimmer was heavy and thus came with a harness that I had to wear to
support it. The back of the harness had a bright yellow plastic sign
warning people to keep back 50 feet. It had two handles spaced 2 feet
apart on a crossbar that looked like bicycle handlebars, these to allow
you to sweep the carnage from side to side.

This was one exceptionally vicious looking tool, and made short work of
the extreme overgrowth. A yard cleaned up for us, a one-hour ecological
apocalypse for whatever was living in there.

This tool would have to be a featured attraction in your Haunted House.
Did I mention that it also takes a circular saw blade?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 8:55 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

The tool to be used/worn by an NFL running back in the 2050 Hunger Games

www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:55:41 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 10/16/2012 9:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

Those are on all new harnesses, thanks to some fine atty somewhere.

It had two handles spaced 2 feet
apart on a crossbar that looked like bicycle handlebars, these to allow
you to sweep the carnage from side to side.

This was one exceptionally vicious looking tool, and made short work of
the extreme overgrowth. A yard cleaned up for us, a one-hour ecological
apocalypse for whatever was living in there.

Quick, now spray all of it with glyphosate and cover it with landscape
fabric (4'x220' Scotts at Homey'sDespot for $46) and 3-5" of mulch.
Next spring, replant what you like and don't worry much about weeds in
the future. I just replaced a lawn that way.

This tool would have to be a featured attraction in your Haunted House.
Did I mention that it also takes a circular saw blade?

YEAH, throw the non-payers into it to make more juice and gore for the
rest of the show! (Kids: don't try this at home.)

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:17:57 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Yeah, for use on other contestants who -didn't- reach the .45 pistols,
MP5 carbines, flame throwers, RPGs, or bows 'n arrows first.

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our
best and learn the most in the new situation.
Peter McWilliams, Life 101
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/17/2012 11:52 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
The trimmer was heavy and thus came with a harness that I had to wear to
support it. The back of the harness had a bright yellow plastic sign
warning people to keep back 50 feet.

Those are on all new harnesses, thanks to some fine atty somewhere.

In this case it doesn't seem excessive. I wore goggles, but I really
should have had a face shield. I had at least one small object sting my
cheek. And I was extra careful around the (galvanized) fenceposts. Had I
hit one with that blade it might have torn a rift in the fabric of the
space-time. What's more, it *looks* like a slightly over-spec string
trimmer, so people might feel they can come nearer than they should.

I didn't really read the rental agreement. I'll bet there are some
industrial strength disavowals of liability in there.

It had two handles spaced 2 feet
apart on a crossbar that looked like bicycle handlebars, these to allow
you to sweep the carnage from side to side.

This was one exceptionally vicious looking tool, and made short work of
the extreme overgrowth. A yard cleaned up for us, a one-hour ecological
apocalypse for whatever was living in there.

Quick, now spray all of it with glyphosate

Had to look that up. Yes, I have Round-Up at home.

and cover it with landscape
fabric (4'x220' Scotts at Homey'sDespot for $46) and 3-5" of mulch.
Next spring, replant what you like and don't worry much about weeds in
the future. I just replaced a lawn that way.

Another area of ignorance for me. Are you saying that I would plant
grass, say, over the mulch and paper? Seems odd. Maybe you mean to pull
up the paper first? That sounds odd too, what with all of the (by
Spring) matted mulch on top. Could you flesh it out a little, in small
words?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:34:10 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

On 10/17/2012 11:52 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
The trimmer was heavy and thus came with a harness that I had to wear to
support it. The back of the harness had a bright yellow plastic sign
warning people to keep back 50 feet.

Those are on all new harnesses, thanks to some fine atty somewhere.

In this case it doesn't seem excessive. I wore goggles, but I really
should have had a face shield. I had at least one small object sting my
cheek. And I was extra careful around the (galvanized) fenceposts. Had I
hit one with that blade it might have torn a rift in the fabric of the
space-time. What's more, it *looks* like a slightly over-spec string
trimmer, so people might feel they can come nearer than they should.

Yeah, I use my neighbor's mesh face shield and earmuff combo when I
work for him. They're on my to-buy list for next year. Those little
stones and twigs can scar your face up right quick, can't they?

I didn't really read the rental agreement. I'll bet there are some
industrial strength disavowals of liability in there.

Oh, yeah. Half a page worth in 0.0002-point type.

It had two handles spaced 2 feet
apart on a crossbar that looked like bicycle handlebars, these to allow
you to sweep the carnage from side to side.

This was one exceptionally vicious looking tool, and made short work of
the extreme overgrowth. A yard cleaned up for us, a one-hour ecological
apocalypse for whatever was living in there.

Quick, now spray all of it with glyphosate

Had to look that up. Yes, I have Round-Up at home.

Just don't buy it from Mons(ter)anto.

and cover it with landscape
fabric (4'x220' Scotts at Homey'sDespot for $46) and 3-5" of mulch.
Next spring, replant what you like and don't worry much about weeds in
the future. I just replaced a lawn that way.

Another area of ignorance for me. Are you saying that I would plant
grass, say, over the mulch and paper? Seems odd. Maybe you mean to pull
up the paper first? That sounds odd too, what with all of the (by
Spring) matted mulch on top. Could you flesh it out a little, in small
words?

I'm sorry. I took you for a sane individual. Sane people don't plant
grass, they kill it _With_Extreme_Prejudice_, IMHO.

I thought you were talking about garden planting beds, not an existing
l*wn.

Get a copy of this book. Maybe your sanity will return.
http://tinyurl.com/cdukh7z The Wild Lawn Handbook

--
To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...
We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is
here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our
best and learn the most in the new situation.
Peter McWilliams, Life 101
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

In this case it doesn't seem excessive. I wore goggles, but I really
should have had a face shield. I had at least one small object sting
my cheek. And I was extra careful around the (galvanized)
fenceposts. Had I hit one with that blade it might have torn a rift
in the fabric of the space-time. What's more, it *looks* like a
slightly over-spec string trimmer, so people might feel they can
come nearer than they should.

Yeah, I use my neighbor's mesh face shield and earmuff combo when I
work for him. They're on my to-buy list for next year. Those little
stones and twigs can scar your face up right quick, can't they?

On a related note... Ya know - for decades, I wouldn't wear protective gear
when using my chainsaw. And... my chainsaw sees regular use, not occasional
use. Didn't need that stuff and all that. Well, at a point, my son gave me
a couple of hardhats with protective ear muffs. I don't even know what made
me try them out - after all... I didn't need that ****, did I? Well... it
took one session of cutting up some logs to realize the benefit of this
gizmo. I never thought my chainsaw was all that loud, until I used it with
ear protection. So - like we see and hear so many times - sure wish I'd
waken to this years ago...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Stihl also makes one with out the hard hat which is nice in hot
weather when nothing is likely to fall on your head.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:

Stihl also makes one with out the hard hat which is nice in hot
weather when nothing is likely to fall on your head.

The worst part is that I have a good set of ear protectors (have had them
for years), but just never used them. Mine are not Stihl orange - they're
red. Maybe I need to get a pair of those Stihl's so they match my saws.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 06:39:38 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Mike M wrote:

Stihl also makes one with out the hard hat which is nice in hot
weather when nothing is likely to fall on your head.

The worst part is that I have a good set of ear protectors (have had them
for years), but just never used them. Mine are not Stihl orange - they're
red. Maybe I need to get a pair of those Stihl's so they match my saws.

These also have the mesh face shield.